Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Words: MADE IN AMERICA
(10-13-2022, 02:36 PM)Flelm Wrote: I guess no one else will point out the incorrectness of the thread's title?

Also, the problem is people. There are plenty of openings. But either they're not paying enough or the workers with the correct skills aren't available. Or both. https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/09/economy/m...uring-jobs

Quote:“I think we’re in uncharted territory,” said Jay Timmons, CEO of the National Association of Manufacturers. “For every 100 jobs openings in the sector we only have 60 people who are looking. I think it’ll take quite a while to fill that pipeline.”

Re the thread title: it's a play on something a prominent politician said.

As for American manufacturing: everyone wants to say they support American manufacturing and bringing those jobs to America but the market speaks louder and has largely said that the people are unable/unwilling to pay the premium that American made products demand. Also, believe it or not many foreign manufacturers have improved their quality over the years enough that the people have begun to accept them.

As for jobs: the current unemployment rate is about the same as pre pandemic levels, the lowest it's been in decades. Which means there simply aren't enough workers to meet the market's demands.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I will toss in my favorite Made in America story/company.

Once upon a time, Oneida Flatware was manufactured in the USA in Sherrill, NY.

For whatever reason, Oneida decided to take their manufacturing overseas. Eventually, a couple of local guys bought the former Oneida plant, started Liberty Tabletop, and hired back some of the displaced workers. They are now the ONLY manufacturer of Flatware in the United States. I have several sets of their flatware. A basic everyday set, a holiday set, and some other small sets just because I like them. (They have some adorable patterns). It's not the cheap crap that will tarnish after a few years. It's good quality. They also feature some other Made in America brands on their website. I have no personal connection. I just really like them. You can order samples before you buy.

Check them out: https://www.libertytabletop.com/
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
My grandfather was a lifelong union pipe fitter, and a WW2 vet. He always kept a “Buy American” bumper sticker on the back bumper of his Pontiac. I will always remember as a kid when I would go shopping with him. He always looked at the tags of clothing, shoes, ect and would buy American whenever he could and if he couldn’t it wasn’t because of the price. It was because it wasn’t available anymore. Unfortunately those days are long gone. You’re right most aren’t willing to pay the premium for American Made products. Those jobs aren’t coming back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • elcastor21
(10-13-2022, 04:44 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I will toss in my favorite Made in America story/company.

For whatever reason, Oneida decided to take their manufacturing overseas.  Eventually, a couple of local guys bought the former Oneida plant, started Liberty Tabletop, and hired back some of the displaced workers.  They are now the ONLY manufacturer of Flatware in the United States.  I have several sets of their flatware.  A basic everyday set, a holiday set, and some other small sets just because I like them.  (They have some adorable patterns).  It's not the cheap crap that will tarnish after a few years.  It's good quality.   They also feature some other Made in America brands on their website.  I have no personal connection.  I just really like them.  You can order samples before you buy.

Check them out:  https://www.libertytabletop.com/

Oneida moved overseas because it was cheaper. Labor costs here are some of the highest in the world. We're kind of picky about keeping workers alive and uninjured. They like benefits and days off.
(10-13-2022, 03:42 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Re the thread title: it's a play on something a prominent politician said.

My mistake, I wasn't aware. I haven't been following politics recently. Thanks!
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
(10-13-2022, 06:39 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-13-2022, 04:44 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I will toss in my favorite Made in America story/company.

For whatever reason, Oneida decided to take their manufacturing overseas.  Eventually, a couple of local guys bought the former Oneida plant, started Liberty Tabletop, and hired back some of the displaced workers.  They are now the ONLY manufacturer of Flatware in the United States.  I have several sets of their flatware.  A basic everyday set, a holiday set, and some other small sets just because I like them.  (They have some adorable patterns).  It's not the cheap crap that will tarnish after a few years.  It's good quality.   They also feature some other Made in America brands on their website.  I have no personal connection.  I just really like them.  You can order samples before you buy.

Oneida moved overseas because it was cheaper. Labor costs here are some of the highest in the world. We're kind of picky about keeping workers alive and uninjured. They like benefits and days off.

I was intentionally focusing on Liberty Tabletop and their commitment to keeping jobs in their community.  It's a great story.  Here's more about it - https://www.oswegocountybusiness.com/spe...facturing/
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)

(10-14-2022, 06:47 AM)Vle045 Wrote:

I was intentionally focusing on Liberty Tabletop and their commitment to keeping jobs in their community.  It's a great story.  Here's more about it - https://www.oswegocountybusiness.com/spe...facturing/

I live in NY and know about them and Oneida. The article explains why Oneida left NY. This story is the same all over the country. Cheap labor. Cheap components. No labor laws. No environmental laws. That's why companies left the US. The executives and shareholders wanted more $$$. Some manufacturing never left. Some will never return just for the environmental issues alone. 

When Nixon created the EPA, our rivers were on fire because they were so polluted. One of the most polluted lakes in the US is in Syracuse, NY thanks to Allied Chemical Corporation and now Honeywell is dealing with it. The Hudson River has gone through decades of dredging to remove the PCBs GE dumped into the river. They had approval from the state because no one knew that they were toxic. 

There are empty warehouses and factories all over the country. NY has hundreds of these shuttered buildings. Many aren't up to code. It would cost a fortune to tear them down. No one wants to pay to remove them. Many small towns in NY became a town because of the manufacturing that existed thanks to industrialization. No one thought about the pollution at the time. Well, a few places did and politicians forced them to clean up or leave which is what happened with many of the mills in Skaneateles, NY. Today this lake is one of the cleanest in the nation. It was 1 of 5 lakes in the entire country that did not need to be treated before you drank the water. Yes, you could scope up the water in your hand and drink it without worrying about what was in it. Not the case for tens of thousands of lakes in the country.
I'm not any kind of Economist but much of this is related to NAFTA, no?
https://www.vanderbilt.edu/olli/class-ma...dNAFTA.pdf
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • jsd
(10-14-2022, 09:50 AM)Alpha Wrote: I'm not any kind of Economist but much of this is related to NAFTA, no?
https://www.vanderbilt.edu/olli/class-ma...dNAFTA.pdf

No. Companies started moving overseas decades ago - before NAFTA. Most went to China and other parts of Asia not Mexico. Look where your clothing is made. Look where your towels are made. Decades ago towels were made in the US. North Carolina had a whole town where towels were made by Cannon Mills. Kannapolis was a huge towel and sheet manufacturing town. Cannon Mills shut down. The buildings sat vacant for years. They were eventually torn down. The land then became a massive bio research facility. The whole town was built around that mill. There were homes built for workers. A school, businesses, and churches. George Eastman did the same thing with Kodak in Rochester, NY. Lots of these factories were basically the entire town. That's why the areas became so economically depressed when they left. They relied on those factories to keep the town afloat. Same with Beech Nut and Amsterdam, NY and Remington and Ilion, NY. The list is endless.
(10-14-2022, 09:22 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-14-2022, 06:47 AM)Vle045 Wrote:

I live in NY and know about them and Oneida. The article explains why Oneida left NY. This story is the same all over the country. Cheap labor. Cheap components. No labor laws. No environmental laws. That's why companies left the US. The executives and shareholders wanted more $$$. Some manufacturing never left. Some will never return just for the environmental issues alone. 

When Nixon created the EPA, our rivers were on fire because they were so polluted. One of the most polluted lakes in the US is in Syracuse, NY thanks to Allied Chemical Corporation and now Honeywell is dealing with it. The Hudson River has gone through decades of dredging to remove the PCBs GE dumped into the river. They had approval from the state because no one knew that they were toxic. 

There are empty warehouses and factories all over the country. NY has hundreds of these shuttered buildings. Many aren't up to code. It would cost a fortune to tear them down. No one wants to pay to remove them. Many small towns in NY became a town because of the manufacturing that existed thanks to industrialization. No one thought about the pollution at the time. Well, a few places did and politicians forced them to clean up or leave which is what happened with many of the mills in Skaneateles, NY. Today this lake is one of the cleanest in the nation. It was 1 of 5 lakes in the entire country that did not need to be treated before you drank the water. Yes, you could scope up the water in your hand and drink it without worrying about what was in it. Not the case for tens of thousands of lakes in the country.

I was just specifically giving a shoutout to Liberty Tabletop/Sherrill Manufacturing.  I like their commitment to their community, sourcing from US companies and being environmentally conscious.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Meet The Kid Who Made $1M with ChatGPT LevelUP 1 95 04-17-2024, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Schools in America Now Becoming More Insane Than North Korea LevelUP 20 2,417 09-26-2023, 04:46 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Math textbook author made $26 million cardiacclep 10 1,067 02-23-2023, 05:09 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  US Expat Response to the State of America Kal Di 1 574 06-10-2022, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Banished Words List Alpha 0 512 12-31-2021, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Airfares plummeting for 2022 (Hawaii, Latin America) bjcheung77 5 853 12-27-2021, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  America is Great Because LevelUP 32 3,976 01-13-2021, 09:53 AM
Last Post: LongRoad
  The Fastest Growing Jobs in America Don't Require a College Degree sanantone 0 1,141 09-08-2019, 08:38 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  How can nutritional science be made more accurate? sanantone 10 2,025 04-20-2019, 10:02 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  College for america, SNHU, $3k a year if affiliated frank.f.franky 7 2,590 07-29-2018, 12:43 AM
Last Post: badooble