Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UC SanDiego Extension - Online Certificate in Biostatistics - thoughts ?
anyone familiar with UC San Diego Extension ?
ever taken any courses there ?

Certificate Homepage:
Biostatistics Certificate - UC San Diego Extension

4 Required Courses each for $625

Biostatistics BIOL-40049
Biostatistics - UC San Diego Extension

SAS Programming BIOL-40190
SAS Programming - UC San Diego Extension

Clinical Biostatistics BIOL-40253
Clinical Biostatistics - UC San Diego Extension

Biostatistical Methods in Clinical Trials BIOL-40254
Biostatistical Methods in Clinical Trials - UC San Diego Extension

Certificate Overview:

The emphasis of the specialized certificate is in the application of statistical techniques to the analysis of clinical data.

The course sequences starts with a refresher of basic statistical concepts in Biostatistics to more advanced topics, including the use of the dominant software for statistical analysis in the field.

Students will develop a clear, solid understanding of statistical methods and their applications, along with a good understanding of the available software tools needed to carry out the work.

The students will cap their certificate by learning about the purpose of clinical trials and how Biostatistics is applied to the development, analysis and completion of the clinical trial process including an overview of ICH/FDA statistical regulations, planning and writing the statistical section of the protocol, development and writing of the Statistical Analysis Plan, analyzing clinical trial data and writing the results section of the clinical study report.
--------------------------------------

I'm seriously considering this

$2500 is a lot, but if you look at it individually, 625 per course is pretty cheap, and 4 courses for a certificate is a pretty low requirement

each course counts as "3 units"
I'm not sure what "3 units" is
is that the same as "3 credits" ?

I'm in the middle of an Excelsior BS in Psych and of course I'd like these courses to transfer in as the full 12 credits,
but the idea of having a "Certificate in Biostatistics" is the real selling point

It just seems like having that little extra line on the csv would make a lot of difference

I'm currently employed, but with no degree
I work at a hospital and use MS Excel and MS Access to create reports summarizing drug use
The hospital won't pay for it because it's not directly related to my work - I mostly gather data and others do the stats, and I have nothing to do with SAS or Clinical Trials
still, it seems like it might be a good thing to have in case I ever try for a promotion (or worse case - get laid off and need a new job)

the certificate doesn't seem to be grad school / masters degree level,
but I think that's ok
since its undergrad level it means I could do the certificate while completing my degree

I've looked at some grad school level certificates, but they all require a 4 year degree

so,
anyone had any experience with this school and how their online courses work ?
any other thoughts ?
How about checking with people in Human Resources to see if a certificate can get you anywhere. Check with HR where you work. Join LinkedIn and reach out to recruiters. Go to job fairs. Sometimes people will help you out if they realize you really only want information and you're not trying to manipulate your way into a job interview. You have specifically mentioned employment related concerns, so it seems prudent to find out if there is a reasonable probability of a return on investment.

Do you have any interest in being an actuary? Education FAQs | Be an Actuary Actuaries use statistics. Some say it is a great job, some not. Those who say it is a good job tend to be those who have been an actuary for a long time and have a lot of seniority. There's a potential bias that the senior people could have - maybe it was a good field to enter when they did. They also hire new actuaries, so they have perspective worth critically appraising.

You work with people who do statistics. If you were more knowledgeable about statistics, it would help them. They could more easily communicate with you. But how would it actually help you?
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 30 6,208 Yesterday, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 861 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 300 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 445 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,459 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 361 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 792 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,836 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 425 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,256 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045