Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UExcel & ACE??
So Liberty University is not accepting my Critical Reasoning TECEP in transfer.  Not a complaint; I know it's their prerogative (and they're taking enough of my credits overall that I'm quite happy with their transfer policy).  But they said something in their explanation that I was hoping someone could explain.  

"College Board's CLEP and select Excelsior College's Examinations (UExcel) are commonly transferred based on credit recommendations made by the American Council on Education (ACE)."

ACE evaluates exams?  I'm a little lost on the "we accept some UExcel exams because they're ACE-approved" thing.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
As far as I know, the last of ACE's UExcel reccomendations expired in 2015. They don't need ACE approval, they're already college credits.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
This is what is confusing me. The fact that an accredited university created it as a means of gaining credit at their school already indicates it's credit-worthy. But then I'd think UExcel and TECEP exams should be treated the same.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
I agree with you. It seems like a weird setup, but I guess if they want to set the rules like that, not much we can do.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
They are not normal course credit though, they are challenge exam credit. So while the school providing the exam says that it is definitely equivalent to their course, other schools often think it's not good enough, especially for the ungraded ones (TECEP).

Ungraded makes a lot of sense because they want to be sure you are at C level at least, and there is no way for them to know if you got like the equivalent of a D- on your TECEP or you got at least C level.

They have some outdated info on UExcel's being ACE-recommended. Like jsd said, that went away quite a while ago.

I understand wanting some bureaucratic body to say "yes, this is college level learning" but the fact that the college gives the exams themselves should be as good as, or better than, ACE.

But, yes, Liberty does get to lay out their own policy, and if they don't want to take CBE's, then they don't have to. I think it's silly, but there it is.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UExcel exams Llgdavis 4 1,963 03-14-2018, 05:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TCEP / UEXCEL question jb111 5 1,930 01-16-2018, 03:14 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior UExcel Ethics exams radconjohn 20 8,747 01-13-2018, 05:50 PM
Last Post: radconjohn
  Uexcel and University of Wisconsin PA Program sanantone 0 1,162 12-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,771 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Missed a Uexcel exam due to car accident, what do/can I do? vobrodrew 2 1,411 04-04-2017, 09:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Uexcel Bioethics Might Count as a Natural Science at TESU? sanantone 0 919 03-28-2017, 12:59 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Uexcel Intro programming Java is COS-208? homeschoolmom1 0 843 02-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  EC BSBA Quantitative Analysis requirement - other than UExcel? dsstmfa 0 814 02-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Last Post: dsstmfa
  Excelsior UExcel Exam Fees Rise, but Now There's a "Value Plan" KayV 23 2,849 07-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77