Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMGC or SNHU Computer Science program.
Now researching these two. I have seen on Reddit the UMGC program is not very thorough. It was basic and doesn’t go in depth. And SNHU leaves out fundamentals but instead is more practical for real world prep.  That being said it seems SNHU accepts more Sophia credits. Which I have free until December. Has anyone taken either of these programs?
UMGC I believe requires SDC and other transfer credits to be 80% or better.

There's a wiki plan to get close to 90 credit transfers for SNHU. We don't currently have one for UMGC.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SN...egree_Plan
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Arto, Pikachu
> I have seen on Reddit the UMGC program is not very thorough. It was basic and doesn’t go in depth.

the course titles show a comprehensive thorough program
https://www.umgc.edu/online-degrees/bach...er-science

SNHU looks ok
https://www.snhu.edu/admission/academic-.../rJVv3Y2rV

> instead is more practical for real world prep.
from the course titles that seems correct
I'd go with UMGC though, just because it looks more like a "real" CS curriculum

edit: forget that
just looked at the tuition

UMGC
$499 per credit (out-of-state)

SNHU
Per Credit Hour - Online Undergraduate Degrees/Certificates $320

for that much I'd totally do study.com and WGU
I would / did choose TESU over these two.
coryjunior19, it really depends how your tuition planning works, the two seem alright.  I would go for the more expensive option if you get fully reimbursed.  I just reviewed your previous thread here in regards to the Comp Science degree options: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...nce-Degree

A side note: UMGC is public/state vs SNHU a private institution if that matters to you.  Moreover, SNHU looks pretty good on paper, but students have told me otherwise (good for GPA, not for learning).  It really depends what you're looking for, I would recommend UMGC over them...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I'd probably go for the quickest route and then spend the time on a grad cert, Master's, or other resume boosters.

I believe that SNHU's practical teachings are pretty specific, and I would lean away from them if you aren't interested in those fields.

[-] The following 2 users Like Ideas's post:
  • coryjunior19, LevelUP
Just in case anyone wants to know:

SNHU - 30cr is $9,600
UMGC - 30cr is $11,227 w/25% tuition discount through OnlineDegree (but I'm not sure if it's still available); otherwise it's $14,970

I know that UMGC is a Study.com partner, and will take a full 90cr from them, even though they usually take a max transfer of 70cr from CC & alt-credit combined, and then up to 20 additional credits from any 4yr school (so 90cr max)

Only caveat for both schools: I don't know if the particular degree program has 90cr that can be transferred in (meaning there may be more than 30cr that you need for the major that can't be found elsewhere).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Ideas, LevelUP, Pikachu
(06-16-2022, 11:35 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: coryjunior19, it really depends how your tuition planning works, the two seem alright.  I would go for the more expensive option if you get fully reimbursed.  I just reviewed your previous thread here in regards to the Comp Science degree options: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...nce-Degree

A side note: UMGC is public/state vs SNHU a private institution if that matters to you.  Moreover, SNHU looks pretty good on paper, but students have told me otherwise (good for GPA, not for learning).  It really depends what you're looking for, I would recommend UMGC over them...

I took your advice and just pretty much forgot about tuitions lol. And just started looking at different CS programs.
I get 5K a year from my employer so I wanted to go with the one that makes sense, but also I have Pell Grant too. 

And yes, a lot of reviews say SNHU is just a check mark but not a lot of real learning. I want to actually learn. Would public/state vs private mean that the credits transfer better? I didnt really look into that part

I am really considering UMGC with the feedback here. I wanted to go WGU but I need structure and I dont want to waste my money. TESU would be ideal but I spoke to them and tuition wise, paying upfront wont work for me.

(06-17-2022, 07:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Just in case anyone wants to know:

SNHU - 30cr is $9,600
UMGC - 30cr is $11,227 w/25% tuition discount through OnlineDegree (but I'm not sure if it's still available); otherwise it's $14,970

I know that UMGC is a Study.com partner, and will take a full 90cr from them, even though they usually take a max transfer of 70cr from CC & alt-credit combined, and then up to 20 additional credits from any 4yr school (so 90cr max)

Only caveat for both schools: I don't know if the particular degree program has 90cr that can be transferred in (meaning there may be more than 30cr that you need for the major that can't be found elsewhere).

AH! Let me get to some degree planning for both schools, this is something I was thinking of, in terms of transfer credits. CS is harder to find the full 90crs. I just printed out the course.... Thank you

Money wise, I get 5K a year for classes from my employer, so Im pretty sure I can swing either school with a scholarship or Pell.
Hi
Which university did you chose than ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 945 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 274 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,696 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  TAMUC Competency Based Program List bjcheung77 85 12,253 01-12-2024, 02:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Using Guild for CS at SNHU Yoloangie40 17 1,619 09-17-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  SNHU vs UMPI? Duneranger 10 1,021 09-07-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  SNHU new gen ed requirements jdubley 63 5,537 08-20-2023, 07:22 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  My experience at SNHU as a BS Finance major neilsf 12 1,689 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 979 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  IIT Guwahati BSc in Data Science & AI on Coursera Tomas 3 636 07-21-2023, 06:25 PM