Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfer Credit Evaluation w/o Applying to UMPI?
Hi! 
After much contemplation, I think UMPI is the best fit for my situation. I have 90 misc. credits completed at a community college from years ago. I applied to TESU (but opted to go with UMPI) and TESU approved transfer for 60 credits. How do I know which of my comm. college credits will be accepted at UMPI without applying? I'd like to do as many ACE credits before applying to UMPI but it's hard to know how many I will need. I'll be pursuing Bachelor of Liberal Studies Management Minor. 

Also, does UMPI give an actual GPA on your transcript? Unlike WGU's standard 3.0? 

Thanks!!
You won't know what credits from your community college UMPI will accept without applying. You can say the name of the school and one of us can look in the transfer database to see if it's in there already. You can also list here what courses you completed, how many credits each course was, and what grade you received. UMPI only accepts C- and above no Ds.

UMPI provides a GPA. Your UMPI GPA will only include the courses you completed at UMPI. They also offer Latin Honors.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • b819, DolceDolce
(11-12-2022, 12:24 PM)ss20ts Wrote: You won't know what credits from your community college UMPI will accept without applying. You can say the name of the school and one of us can look in the transfer database to see if it's in there already. You can also list here what courses you completed, how many credits each course was, and what grade you received. UMPI only accepts C- and above no Ds.

UMPI provides a GPA. Your UMPI GPA will only include the courses you completed at UMPI. They also offer Latin Honors.

Thank you. All of my classes were taken at Rogue Community College. I completed: 
WR121 (Eng. Comp. 1) 3 cr, B+
WR122 (Eng. Comp. 2) 3 cr, A-
HE250 (Personal Health) 3 cr, A
NFM225 (Nutrition) 4 cr, A
PSY201 (General Psychology 1) 3 cr, B+
PSY202 (General Psychology 2) 3 cr, B
PSY215 (Life Span Human Development) 4 cr, A-
SOC204 (Intro to Sociology) 3 cr, A
SOC205 (American Society) 3 cr, B
SOC225 (Social Problems) 3 cr, A
SOC230 (Intro to Gerontology) 3 cr, B
BI211 (General Biology with Lab) 4 cr, B
BI231 (Anatomy & Physiology 1 with lab) 4 cr, B
BI232 (Anatomy & Physiology 2 with lab) 4 cr, B
BI233 (Anatomy & Physiology 3 with lab) 4 cr, B
BI234 (Microbiology with lab) 4 cr, B
ANTH110 (Intro to Cultural Anthro.) 3 cr, B
SPAN102 (First Year Spanish 2) 4 cr, A
SPAN103 (First Year Spanish 3) 4 cr, A
SP100 (Basic Communication) 3 cr, C
FA101 (Intro to Motion Pictures) 3 cr, C
ECE100 (Intro to Early Childhood Ed.) 3 cr, A
ECE151 (Guiding Children in Group Settings) 3 cr, A
ECE175 (Developmentally Appropriate Practices) 3 cr, B+
ECE265 (Children at Risk) 3 cr, B+
CS120 (Concepts in Computing) 4 cr, B

Total of 88 at RCC. I can't imagine UMPI would have a spot for all 88, though. I have also completed Bus. Communication and Intro to Business on Sophia and am almost done with US History 1 and Intro to Ethics at Sophia. 

I am thinking I need to do College Algebra, Project Mgmt, and Business Law at Sophia and then just apply to UMPI. But would appreciate all suggestions and feedback!! Thanks!
So, I just reviewed your previous thread https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...to-be-true - you're going for the UMPI BLS Management minor by skipping offerings at TESU and WGU... Anyways, have you checked the links and WIKI from the previous thread? You should also check the plan for UMPI BLS MIS on the wiki as well.

Do you already have an Associates? What's your budget, commitments, dedicated time to study? Technically, with all the credits you have listed, you've hit the 90 credits already, not all of them will go into the degree if you go past 90 credits, you need at least 30 credits and the bulk of the upper level credit requirements completed at UMPI.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-13-2022, 12:03 AM)b819 Wrote: Thank you. All of my classes were taken at Rogue Community College. I completed: 
WR121 (Eng. Comp. 1) 3 cr, B+
WR122 (Eng. Comp. 2) 3 cr, A-
HE250 (Personal Health) 3 cr, A
NFM225 (Nutrition) 4 cr, A
PSY201 (General Psychology 1) 3 cr, B+
PSY202 (General Psychology 2) 3 cr, B
PSY215 (Life Span Human Development) 4 cr, A-
SOC204 (Intro to Sociology) 3 cr, A
SOC205 (American Society) 3 cr, B
SOC225 (Social Problems) 3 cr, A
SOC230 (Intro to Gerontology) 3 cr, B
BI211 (General Biology with Lab) 4 cr, B
BI231 (Anatomy & Physiology 1 with lab) 4 cr, B
BI232 (Anatomy & Physiology 2 with lab) 4 cr, B
BI233 (Anatomy & Physiology 3 with lab) 4 cr, B
BI234 (Microbiology with lab) 4 cr, B
ANTH110 (Intro to Cultural Anthro.) 3 cr, B
SPAN102 (First Year Spanish 2) 4 cr, A
SPAN103 (First Year Spanish 3) 4 cr, A
SP100 (Basic Communication) 3 cr, C
FA101 (Intro to Motion Pictures) 3 cr, C
ECE100 (Intro to Early Childhood Ed.) 3 cr, A
ECE151 (Guiding Children in Group Settings) 3 cr, A
ECE175 (Developmentally Appropriate Practices) 3 cr, B+
ECE265 (Children at Risk) 3 cr, B+
CS120 (Concepts in Computing) 4 cr, B

Total of 88 at RCC. I can't imagine UMPI would have a spot for all 88, though. I have also completed Bus. Communication and Intro to Business on Sophia and am almost done with US History 1 and Intro to Ethics at Sophia. 

I am thinking I need to do College Algebra, Project Mgmt, and Business Law at Sophia and then just apply to UMPI. But would appreciate all suggestions and feedback!! Thanks!

I actually think they'll take most of these! Many will fill GEC requirements and others will be electives. Looks like you're on the right path! Good luck! Do you plan on starting in January?
Looks like Rogue CC is a quarter-based school (first, I see A&P w/lab as a 1-2-3 sequence, where it's usually a 1-2 sequence, and second, I went to their website and they are registering for the Winter term of Jan-Mar, which is a quarter not a semester). If it's a quarter system, then you have to convert your quarter credits to semester credits: multiply total credits x ⅔. This would mean you have 58.67cr at both TESU & UMPI (obviously they will convert each course separately, so there will probably be some rounding issues, which may work out to 60cr).

Then, you also have to look at what things come in as, to see why TESU might have only accepted a certain number of credits. For instance, if you have a lot of courses that are considered Free Electives (health, nutrition, ECE, etc.), then there just may not be space for those depending on your degree (a BSBA only has 15cr of Free Electives, for instance, while a BALS has space for 30cr).

But really, it's because you need to convert these qcr >>semester cr.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • b819
(11-13-2022, 02:50 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: So, I just reviewed your previous thread https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...to-be-true - you're going for the UMPI BLS Management minor by skipping offerings at TESU and WGU...  Anyways, have you checked the links and WIKI from the previous thread? You should also check the plan for UMPI BLS MIS on the wiki as well.

Do you already have an Associates? What's your budget, commitments, dedicated time to study?  Technically, with all the credits you have listed, you've hit the 90 credits already, not all of them will go into the degree if you go past 90 credits, you need at least 30 credits and the bulk of the upper level credit requirements completed at UMPI.

Thanks for your response! The response from defrecore was also very helpful. The quarter vs. trimester credit value explanation he gave was very helpful and explained why TESU only gave me 59 transfer credits even though they accepted almost all my classes. So... with that in mind, I think UMPI may be a similar scenario and that it may not hurt to take a few more general ed at Sophia/Study to try to get closer to the 90 transfer credits. I have looked at the WIKI for UMPI and am using that to come up with a game plan. 

I do not have an Associates. I was very close but never finished. I am self pay and on a tight budget. I'm a busy mom and run a large nonprofit hybrid school so time is limited. I'm trying to knock out what I can with ACE classes so that I can hopefully finish at UMPI in 2 terms if I can buckle down for just those few months. 

I started out thinking WGU, but they only offered 18 transfer credits and I'm concerned about the flat 3.0 GPA. I'm in education and will be pursing Educational Leadership... So I looked at TESU but it's expensive... Finally, I looked into UMPI and the fact that they'll give more transfer credit (especially if I pursue a Liberal Arts degree) AND they have competency-based courses, AND they issue a true GPA, AND they're more affordable... I *think* I'm ready to settle and head in that direction. What is your opinion based on that info? 

Thanks for all the time and help you offer everyone on this forum!

(11-13-2022, 01:26 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Looks like Rogue CC is a quarter-based school (first, I see A&P w/lab as a 1-2-3 sequence, where it's usually a 1-2 sequence, and second, I went to their website and they are registering for the Winter term of Jan-Mar, which is a quarter not a semester). If it's a quarter system, then you have to convert your quarter credits to semester credits: multiply total credits x ⅔. This would mean you have 58.67cr at both TESU & UMPI (obviously they will convert each course separately, so there will probably be some rounding issues, which may work out to 60cr).

Then, you also have to look at what things come in as, to see why TESU might have only accepted a certain number of credits.  For instance, if you have a lot of courses that are considered Free Electives (health, nutrition, ECE, etc.), then there just may not be space for those depending on your degree (a BSBA only has 15cr of Free Electives, for instance, while a BALS has space for 30cr).

But really, it's because you need to convert these qcr >>semester cr.

Thanks so much for taking time to respond! The explanation about the quarter cr vs semester credit was VERY helpful and explains a lot!
(11-13-2022, 09:59 PM)b819 Wrote: I do not have an Associates. I was very close but never finished. I am self pay and on a tight budget. I'm a busy mom and run a large nonprofit hybrid school so time is limited. I'm trying to knock out what I can with ACE classes so that I can hopefully finish at UMPI in 2 terms if I can buckle down for just those few months. 

Since you're at/close to 60 credits, you might want to apply for Pierpont's FREE Associate degree while you work on UMPI. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC Your only extra cost would be that of sending your college transcripts to Pierpont. That way, if something happens to derail your Bachelor's degree efforts, you'll at least have the AAS from Pierpont.

Since you're trying to keep costs down, you might also want to look into using TADA to get some free UL credits for UMPI. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera You need a certain number of UL credits outside of your minor, if you're going for the BLS, and taking some for free ahead of time can help.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 4 160 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 106 Yesterday, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 239 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 256 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 2 123 04-19-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Bus 150 - Sophia didn't transfer layermonkey 5 280 04-19-2024, 03:17 PM
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,481 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,428 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 466 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 342 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM