Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI - Communications
Holy wow. I contacted UMPI today. They were on it. I told them I am very hard of hearing and have a letter from a doctor. They are absolutely on it, welling to communicate via text or email. They said their ADA department will make all the accomondations. I told them how TESU made me wait over 40 days for an adjustment, they said that won't happen with them and they'll have it within a day or two done for me.

They were on it. They got the ball rolling fast, and were ready and hit with accommodations hard and said they can offer any assistance I need, even transcribing.
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
They are really good at getting back to applicants and those who are requesting info. I normally communicate via email with them for 99% of what I need. I have access to phone calls and appointments, but try to save everyone time and use email as much as possible. I sent my academic advisor an email yesterday and she is out of the office all week. She still responded and spoke to my professor and added a course that needs approval from the professor. I didn't expect to hear back until next week when she was back on campus.
(11-11-2020, 06:14 PM)ss20ts Wrote: They are really good at getting back to applicants and those who are requesting info. I normally communicate via email with them for 99% of what I need. I have access to phone calls and appointments, but try to save everyone time and use email as much as possible. I sent my academic advisor an email yesterday and she is out of the office all week. She still responded and spoke to my professor and added a course that needs approval from the professor. I didn't expect to hear back until next week when she was back on campus.

Yeah. I was really impressed at how personal it was, and how it was all about me. Especially on a federal holiday. Their website is interesting and their course selection shows they really care about their community with heavy emphasis on French and the Native American history and languages.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • ss20ts
(11-11-2020, 10:50 PM)ashkir Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 06:14 PM)ss20ts Wrote: They are really good at getting back to applicants and those who are requesting info. I normally communicate via email with them for 99% of what I need. I have access to phone calls and appointments, but try to save everyone time and use email as much as possible. I sent my academic advisor an email yesterday and she is out of the office all week. She still responded and spoke to my professor and added a course that needs approval from the professor. I didn't expect to hear back until next week when she was back on campus.

Yeah. I was really impressed at how personal it was, and how it was all about me. Especially on a federal holiday. Their website is interesting and their course selection shows they really care about their community with heavy emphasis on French and the Native American history and languages.

Presque Isle is right on the border of northern Maine and Canada. They have a program with Canada and students come come to UMPI and pay Maine tuition which is a huge discount. On campus, they offer 2 Native American languages which is really cool. Online they offer French and Spanish.
Good god. They are on it! Their communication has been stellar. I'm not even admitted yet, and they already came up with a plan on how to approach my loss of hearing and came up with amazing compromises.
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(11-17-2020, 12:16 PM)ashkir Wrote: Good god. They are on it! Their communication has been stellar. I'm not even admitted yet, and they already came up with a plan on how to approach my loss of hearing and came up with amazing compromises.

I'm not surprised. I knew UMPI would work with you. I'm curious what changes they've made for you.
I'm looking at the YourPace program, just to try to understand it better, and am curious about something. With the BA in History & PoliSci, there are courses in Hist that are also required in PoliSci, which is strange. And then, the GE requires 40cr, and several of the options are also in the History or PoliSci requirements (like Political Thought or US History). My question is, if you take Political Thought for instance, as part of the major, does it also meet the GE Requirements for sections 5D & 5E? Or do I have to take a different course to fulfill the GE for those areas? In other words, is GE a check-the-box thing like COSC, where 1 course can meet multiple requirements and also be used as part of the major?

I wish their website was a bit more clear here. It's a bit confusing (like TESU, they list the courses that will work in each area - that THEY offer - but it's unclear if other similar courses taken elsewhere or via ACE will work in those areas as well).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-18-2020, 05:26 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm looking at the YourPace program, just to try to understand it better, and am curious about something.  With the BA in History & PoliSci, there are courses in Hist that are also required in PoliSci, which is strange.  And then, the GE requires 40cr, and several of the options are also in the History or PoliSci requirements (like Political Thought or US History).  My question is, if you take Political Thought for instance, as part of the major, does it also meet the GE Requirements for sections 5D & 5E? Or do I have to take a different course to fulfill the GE for those areas?  In other words, is GE a check-the-box thing like COSC, where 1 course can meet multiple requirements and also be used as part of the major?

I wish their website was a bit more clear here.  It's a bit confusing (like TESU, they list the courses that will work in each area - that THEY offer - but it's unclear if other similar courses taken elsewhere or via ACE will work in those areas as well).

You can always reach out to UMPI and ask these specific questions. They are great at responding to these types of things. I would say that yes, some of the major requirements will also cover the general education curriculum. They don't require you to take 2 languages for example. POS101 American Government is only option available on YourPace to cover one of the general education curriculum requirements and it's a requirement for this major. 

Some courses will cover multiple general education curriculum requirements such as ENG121. That course covers I think 3 areas. 

I do agree that the website could have more info. Like I said they are great to talk to about any concerns you have though. They accept up to 30 ACE credits. They also accept RA credits. They offer every courses needed to complete all of their YourPace degrees. 

Honestly, I find there to be less work in their courses than some of those on Sophia and Study.com. ENG121 at UMPI has FAR less work that Sophia's English Composition II. And I mean FAAAAAAR less work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • ashkir
I met my academic coach today. Jessica. She’s awesome and was already aware of my ADA accommodations. Typically they schedule an hour with you to talk about your classes and goals. But she did it all through email for me!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • rachel83az
This is awesome! One of my complaints to Walden on their competency based TEMPO programs is that they needed to be more disability friendly. They had a ton of reading in their program. Some of it needed to be recorded for those people who can't just read all the time, or maybe are blind. Screen readers only go so far. I am lucky to have my sight, but I was using a third-party service to read some of the text to me because I have a hard time sitting up for extended periods of time. Every time I would use the third party service to auto translate from text to speech (regardless of which third-party text reader I used) It did annoying things like repeat the page name and number each time, as well as read all the citations.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • Teacherwannabe19

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,117 11 minutes ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,361 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 430 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 319 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 286 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia to UMPI Transcript wowzers 9 414 04-06-2024, 01:19 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 96 62,652 04-01-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 325 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 307 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 345 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM