Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI Lab Science requirement equivalent
I am wondering if anyone has experience transferring BIO 100 The Living World from ASU online to UMPI for the Lab Science requirement category 3C? I know that many recommend Study.com BIO101L, but, my son prefers non-proctored classes and it looks like this ASU class has a lab and would satisfy that requirement? I know some other folks on the board recommended this class, but, I wanted to see if anyone had actual experience seeing if UMPI took this class for the Biology equivalent at UMPI. Also, is just a lab science required at UMPI or is it specifically Biology? I know my son would rather take Biology than Chemistry for sure as it is probably much easier.

Thanks,

Education Seeker
[-] The following 1 user Likes EducationSeeker's post:
  • JannikTT
It looks like The Living World has previously transferred in as BIO 1XX (a biology elective), fulfilling 3A and 3B.

The lab requirement ("Students will perform scientific inquiry including aspects of the scientific method, such as observation, hypothesis, experiment, evaluation, and communication.") comes from 3E. Geology, GIS, and physics courses with an associated lab would also work.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(07-20-2022, 05:34 PM)carrythenothing Wrote: It looks like The Living World has previously transferred in as BIO 1XX (a biology elective), fulfilling 3A and 3B.

The lab requirement ("Students will perform scientific inquiry including aspects of the scientific method, such as observation, hypothesis, experiment, evaluation, and communication.") comes from 3E.

Carrythenothing-

Thank you for confirming. BIO100 The Living World looks like a good option to meet 3A, 3B, and 3E.

Education Seeker
(07-20-2022, 05:38 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 05:34 PM)carrythenothing Wrote: It looks like The Living World has previously transferred in as BIO 1XX (a biology elective), fulfilling 3A and 3B.

The lab requirement ("Students will perform scientific inquiry including aspects of the scientific method, such as observation, hypothesis, experiment, evaluation, and communication.") comes from 3E.

Carrythenothing-

Thank you for confirming. BIO100 The Living World looks like a good option to meet 3A, 3B, and 3E.

Education Seeker

Unfortunately, it hasn't fulfilled 3E in the past. It has fulfilled only 3A and 3B.

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
This is NOT a lab science at UMPI. It won't fill 3A and 3B as those are math courses. There's a mistake in the transfer database. It will come in for 3C. It does not come in for 3D or 3E. 3C is biological science. 3D is physical and environmental sciences. 3E is a lab science.

That lab science is usually completed on Study with a virtual lab unless someone has already completed a lab science elsewhere. It must be a lab science for 3E. They have no made exceptions to this. It is a course that can be completed through UMPI but it's a mess. There are several labs and they include dissecting an owl pellet. The virtual lab on Study is easier and faster.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Mr T, origamishuttle, Pikachu
UMPI is pretty tough - they don't even accept the Natural Science Lab course from WGU.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
Is the Study.com Biology pretty easy as a course to get through?  Considering a community college lab course in Astronomy or Geology instead but if the SDC one is smooth and simple, that would maybe be faster.
Is there another Lab Science equivalent that satisfies 3E GEC at UMPI like Biology or another Science class through an unproctored option like Sophia, ASU, Davar, or Coopersmith or does Study.com provide the only possible Lab Science option that has been approved by UMPI? He needs something that satisfies 3E.

Thanks,

Education Seeker

I also meant to ask in my last post if GEL101 / 1002 Introduction to Geology at Eastern Gateway Community College and is 4 credit hours satisfy the 3E equivalent or does it need to be a Biology course?

Education Seeker
(07-20-2022, 09:56 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: I also meant to ask in my last post if GEL101 / 1002 Introduction to Geology at Eastern Gateway Community College and is 4 credit hours satisfy the 3E equivalent or does it need to be a Biology course?

Education Seeker

Geology with lab should work.

(07-20-2022, 09:56 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: Is there another Lab Science equivalent that satisfies 3E GEC at UMPI like Biology or another Science class through an unproctored option like Sophia, ASU, Davar, or Coopersmith or does Study.com provide the only possible Lab Science option that has been approved by UMPI? He needs something that satisfies 3E.

Thanks,

Education Seeker

I also meant to ask in my last post if GEL101 / 1002 Introduction to Geology at Eastern Gateway Community College and is 4 credit hours satisfy the 3E equivalent or does it need to be a Biology course?

Education Seeker

Sophia, Davar, and Coopersmith do not have lab sciences. 

Study has been the fastest and easiest way to complete a lab science for UMPI. 

In the past UMPI has accepted the following ASU courses as lab sciences. I can't tell you what courses have proctors. 

These  have to be taken together.

AST 111

Intro/Solar Systems Astronomy

AST 113
Astronomy Laboratory I

[b]BIO 181
General Biology I

BIO 182
General Biology II

BIO 187
General Biology I

BIO 188
General Biology II

BIO 201
Hum Anat & Physiology I w/Lab

BIO 202
Hum Anat & Physiology II w/Lab
[/b]

[b][b]
CHM 113

General Chemistry I

CHM 114
General Chemistry for Engrs

CHM 115
General Chemistry Qualitative

CHM 116
General Chemistry II

CHM 231
Elements Organic Chemistry

CHM 233
General Organic Chemistry I

CHM 234
General Organic Chemistry II

CHM 235
Elementary Organic Chem Lab

CHM 237
Gen Organic Chemistry I Lab

CHM 238
Gen Organic Chemistry II Lab

CHM 316
Organic Chemistry II

CHM 317
Organic Chemistry I

CHM 319
Organic Chemistry Lab I
[/b]
[/b]

These have to be taken together. 

[b][b][b]GLG 101
Intro to Geology I (Physical)

GLG 103
Introduction to Geology I Lab
[/b]
[/b]
[/b]

No one has transferred in a science course from Eastern Gateway to UMPI. A geology lab science course does work for 3E. It's up to UMPI if these accept that course though. It would also take longer than Study. I can't imagine it being cheaper either. 

(07-20-2022, 09:20 PM)christinadq Wrote: Is the Study.com Biology pretty easy as a course to get through?  Considering a community college lab course in Astronomy or Geology instead but if the SDC one is smooth and simple, that would maybe be faster.

Study can be completed in a month or less. The lab is a virtual lab which is far easier than being in a lab for 2-3 hours every week for a semester.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 48 4,445 10 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 173 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 166 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 218 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  First post, political science class guidance needed Daniel14 6 199 03-23-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: wildebeest
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 850 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 266 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,464 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 200 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87
  UL Courses Outside of UMPI - Fast CCCollege 7 941 03-11-2024, 10:46 AM