Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI Yourpace BA in History/Political Science
Has anyone taken or attempted the history and political sciences classes at UMPI? I was curious how quickly I can finish the degree, if the classes were offered every session? Also what are the classes like....papers, exams, etc.? 

Any advice appreciated!
(10-20-2022, 06:06 PM): Wrote: Has anyone taken or attempted the history and political sciences classes at UMPI? I was curious how quickly I can finish the degree, if the classes were offered every session? Also what are the classes like....papers, exams, etc.? 

Any advice appreciated!
I just recently finished at UMPI, BLS minors in management and political science. The majority of the 10 classes that I completed at UMPI were political science. I really enjoyed them. The majority of the political science classes are papers. Most are 1500 word requirement for the final paper. Leading up to the final you will have course content and generally 2-3 “milestones” which are average 500 words each. I was able to complete 10 classes in 38 days and I averaged 30 ish hours per week. For the 10 courses, I wrote 110 pages, 32 ppt slides and over 30k words.  Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jennr2z's post:
  • CanICode
(10-20-2022, 06:06 PM)joshuaeben Wrote: I was curious how quickly I can finish the degree, if the classes were offered every session?
It's my understanding that UMPI now offers all classes during every session.

(10-20-2022, 06:06 PM)joshuaeben Wrote: Also what are the classes like....papers, exams, etc.? 
There are very few exams at UMPI. Don't expect to run into any.

Also, they sometimes change the requirements. Some students might complete a 20-slide powerpoint, while next session's students are expected to do a 5-page paper (or vice versa). They don't change that often, but you cannot expect to be required to do exactly the same requirements as a prior student.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
The history and poli sci courses are papers or PowerPoints. There are no exams in the history or poli sci courses. The only program with exams is the business department. Even there lass than 25% of the classes have an exam.
I finished this degree in 2.5 terms with out much stress, but I'm a history buff. I completed my last class in the first week of this term. I was trying to maximize my Gi Bill money.

None of the classes have exams. The milestones cover the lesson and usually require a minimum of a 500 word essay. The professors give you some freedom on what you write about.

If you look a couple posts down, I did a review of this degree.

The course material is decent. It's straight to the point and allows for you to do some follow on research on areas you enjoy. They have a lot of documentary's embedded that are worth the watch, but if you are comfortable with the material you can skip it.

The final's are either a 5-8 page paper or a 20-30 slide PowerPoint with 2,000 words. However, the instructors give you some freedom on what you choose to do your final over.

If you like history then you'll have no problem with these classes.

For one of your electives, I recommend HTY370 Native American History. Probably the best course I took.

I also did the Early, early modern, modern Europe classes back to back and they work well together.

(10-21-2022, 08:59 AM)ss20ts Wrote: The history and poli sci courses are papers or PowerPoints. There are no exams in the history or poli sci courses. The only program with exams is the business department. Even there lass than 25% of the classes have an exam.

five of my wife's Business classes were exams. She said the exams were tougher then writing.
DBA Organization Leadership - South - Expected April 2024
BA Political Science and History - UMPI - 2022
MS Cybersecurity & Information Assurance - WGU - 2021
BS Computer Science - Park U - 2018
MBA Public Administration - CSU - 2016
BS Management - Park U - 2010
AAS Communications Technology - CCAF - 2008

CEH/CHFI/SEC+/NET+/Proj+/CISSP
(10-21-2022, 09:41 AM)kidneysmasher Wrote: five of my wife's Business classes were exams. She said the exams were tougher then writing.

It's rare that someone in business has 5 exams. That's just about every exam in the business department. The exams are not easy especially for risk management and financial management. Those 2 are brutal.
(10-21-2022, 09:41 AM)I don\t know why that pasted wteice. kidneysmasher Wrote: five of my wife's Business classes were exams. She said the exams were tougher then writing.

It's rare that someone in business has 5 exams. That's just about every exam in the business department. The exams are not easy especially for risk management and financial management. Those 2 are brutal.

Maybe they changed, but based off my wifes classes and the "Business and GEC Competency by Session" the following classes have exams:
BUS101
BUS244
BUS 321
BUS 325
BUS 330
BUS 350
BUS 352
BUS 440
ECO 207
MAT 140
DBA Organization Leadership - South - Expected April 2024
BA Political Science and History - UMPI - 2022
MS Cybersecurity & Information Assurance - WGU - 2021
BS Computer Science - Park U - 2018
MBA Public Administration - CSU - 2016
BS Management - Park U - 2010
AAS Communications Technology - CCAF - 2008

CEH/CHFI/SEC+/NET+/Proj+/CISSP
[-] The following 1 user Likes kidneysmasher's post:
  • warriortaupou
(10-24-2022, 10:37 AM)kidneysmasher Wrote:
(10-21-2022, 09:41 AM)I don\t know why that pasted wteice. kidneysmasher Wrote: five of my wife's Business classes were exams. She said the exams were tougher then writing.

Maybe they changed, but based off my wifes classes and the "Business and GEC Competency by Session" the following classes have exams:
BUS101
BUS244
BUS 321
BUS 325
BUS 330
BUS 350
BUS 352
BUS 440
ECO 207
MAT 140

Many people transfer in a significant number of these courses. Every business student also doesn't take all of these courses. Remember, the BLS has business minors!
I'm doing a minor in history. If you like history, I suspect the courses won't be too difficult, but they have a lot of documentaries and reading material. I love history, so I would watch videos for class instead of watching mindless television during meals or when I was winding down for the night. I finished Medieval Europe and American Government last term. The former is a really fun class, with milestones and a final project that gives you a chance to flex some creative writing muscles. American Government is the easiest class I've taken at UMPI. It was so easy that I got a little too in my head with the final assessment and stalled for a few days, but I could have easily finished the entire course in two days. Professor Sebold and Professor Zaborney are the teachers for most of the classes, and I like both. They give good feedback beyond a simple "Great job!", and I never had to wait long for responses from them.
(10-20-2022, 06:06 PM)joshuaeben Wrote: Has anyone taken or attempted the history and political sciences classes at UMPI? I was curious how quickly I can finish the degree, if the classes were offered every session? Also what are the classes like....papers, exams, etc.? 

Any advice appreciated!

I finished a BA in History & Political Science in May, with a concentration in history. It took me two terms and I had enough time at the end of the second term to take an additional four classes for fun (two education courses, their economics course, and a bonus political science course.) The milestones are all writing and the finals are either essays or PowerPoint presentations. Both professors are good. I think, on average, the political science classes are "faster," and I probably could have finished a concentration in political science in one term, despite the addition of a capstone, if I had prepared for that degree prior to enrolling, but I planned to do political science for grad school and wanted the historical context first (if that makes sense). The classes are well structured and informative, although they rely a little too heavily on John Green for my taste (I don't really like high-energy presentations), or they did when I took them. If you like writing or are a good writer, I recommend the program. If you don't like writing, it might be a little rough. Overall, I'm very happy with the program and can say without hesitation that I wouldn't go back and change anything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wildebeest's post:
  • FastTrackDegree

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  need advice on YourPace BBA Project Mgmt and Info Systems EducationSeeker 2 44 Yesterday, 10:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,358 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 427 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 315 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 285 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia to UMPI Transcript wowzers 9 413 04-06-2024, 01:19 PM
  YourPace to regular online courses? RachelB 17 724 04-05-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Yourpace psychology degree PSY 496: Practicum Schlafen 12 1,568 04-02-2024, 08:48 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 96 62,633 04-01-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 325 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM