Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI vs Excelsior
(05-13-2022, 10:40 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I think you should be able to do Psych with Excelsior by using Coopersmith. But if you wanted to pair it with a business degree: you can't. Excelsior doesn't really want students to get multiple degrees. You could do something like Psych at Excelsior and then BABA at UMPI, but then you'd be approaching the cost of just doing everything at TESU.

True in more ways than one!  When i first started looking into what I wanted to do, Excelsior wouldn’t even talk to me about a second bachelors degree. They would only talk to me about a Master’s Degree.  And kept trying to push the Cannabis one that I have ZERO interest in.  They were so weird.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(05-13-2022, 10:48 AM)Vle045 Wrote: True in more ways than one!  When i first started looking into what I wanted to do, Excelsior wouldn’t even talk to me about a second bachelors degree. They would only talk to me about a Master’s Degree.  And kept trying to push the Cannabis one that I have ZERO interest in.  They were so weird.

Excelsior has ZERO interest in awarding second bachelor's degrees for some reason. Apparently they don't want the money and other schools will happily accept the money. They kept pushing me to complete a master's there and I was like no way. It's too much $$$$. I can go to WGU and spend a fraction of the money and be done years faster. Excelsior really has a WEIRD vibe.
When you have a Bachelors already, a second Bachelors wouldn't really help you much unless you're trying to break into another profession. Generally, colleges and universities would want you to excel in a grad program and recommend those before advising you to continue with a second degree. Basically, if you really "need/want" a second degree in something, you really need to explain why you're going for that second degree at the undergraduate level... if you can find a reason then provide that to them. If another "better" option exists such as going for a Masters in that second degree subject matter, then that may be an easier/faster way to get you there.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-13-2022, 10:40 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I think you should be able to do Psych with Excelsior by using Coopersmith. But if you wanted to pair it with a business degree: you can't. Excelsior doesn't really want students to get multiple degrees. You could do something like Psych at Excelsior and then BABA at UMPI, but then you'd be approaching the cost of just doing everything at TESU.

I have no interest in a business degree so no problems there.
(05-14-2022, 12:24 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: When you have a Bachelors already, a second Bachelors wouldn't really help you much unless you're trying to break into another profession.  Generally, colleges and universities would want you to excel in a grad program and recommend those before advising you to continue with a second degree.  Basically, if you really "need/want" a second degree in something, you really need to explain why you're going for that second degree at the undergraduate level... if you can find a reason then provide that to them.  If another "better" option exists such as going for a Masters in that second degree subject matter, then that may be an easier/faster way to get you there.

Lots of people have multiple bachelor's degrees. They're not in the same field. I have ZERO regrets about completing a second bachelor's degree. You can't always get into the master's program you want and sometimes need a second bachelor's degree. By completing my second bachelor's degree I was waived from 4 prereq courses for my MBA. Totally worth it! It was cheaper and faster to complete those courses at UMPI than it would be at Amberton. Lots of MBA programs have prereq requirements that you end up having to complete to get into the program.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Slammyelis
(05-10-2022, 03:13 AM)debrag Wrote: I'm trying to pick the right place for me to apply to next year. I am currently at University of the People paying very little for their BS Health Science degree. I wanted to transfer out for multiple reasons and I   have discovered Excelsior & UMPI are the main places that will take my credits.

I wanted to do health science or natural science but it's looking expensive so I thought about either BALS or BSLS or history (UMPI). UMPI take UoPeople credits but only for GenEd it looks like, whereas Excelsior look like that may take most of them.

Excelsior I can transfer in 113 credits - ACE + UoPeople
UMPI I cam transfer in 90 credits - ACE + UoPeople

For UMPI I'm looking at the History degree and doing the 30 credits with them could be cheaper than Excelsior. But they have a language requirement.

Is it worth me claiming the AS from UoPeople?

CURRENT CREDITS

Sophia
English Composition I
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Introduction to Ethics
Art History I
Introduction to Psychology
Introduction to Sociology
US History l
College Algebra
Human Biology
Introduction to Statistics
Macroeconomics
Intro to Information Technology
Intro to Web Development
Visual Communications
Accounting
Foundations of College Algebra
Foundations of Statistics

UoPeople
English Composition 2
Intro to Health Psychology
Programming 1
Programming Fundamentals
Intro to Environmental Science
Biology II  (4 credits) LL
Biology 1 LL
Epidemiology L
Human Anatomy LL
Nutrition UL
Community and Public Health I LL
Community and Public Health II LL

Any other options where I can transfer in AEC credits, I don't mind not using UoPeople credits or going somewhere that isn't one of the big 3 as long as I can pay in installments not in one go, if more expensive.

I'm from the UK

Did you successfully transferred you UOPeople to UMPI? The uni also told me that they accepts credits from UOPeople but I had my UOPEOPLE transcript sent to edocs@maine.edu twice ($15 for once) and they still told me that they haven't received it yet. And they told me that they only got my Credly transcript. I don't know whether their saying is true or that is just a reason to make me pay more at UMPI. So, I am considering applying to Excelsior.
(11-03-2022, 02:50 AM)nguyenquocbuu Wrote:  

Did you successfully transferred you UOPeople to UMPI? The uni also told me that they accepts credits from UOPeople but I had my UOPEOPLE transcript sent to edocs@maine.edu twice ($15 for once) and they still told me that they haven't received it yet. And they told me that they only got my Credly transcript. I don't know whether their saying is true or that is just a reason to make me pay more at UMPI. So, I am considering applying to Excelsior.

UMPI has accepted some credits from UofP. They're in the transfer database. If UMPI says that they have not received your transcripts, then they have not received them. It is possible that the sending school isn't sending them or is not sending them to the correct email address. This is why I use transcripts services such as Parchment and National Clearinghouse. I have not had a problem with transcripts through them. Ones that are just emailed often don't make it to their destination. UMPI is not trying to get you to pay more. Trust me. I sent them at least 7 transcripts including one that had to be mailed. That one took 3 weeks to even be mailed out to UMPI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 118 Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 428 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,074 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 515 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 602 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,089 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,382 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  UMPI Psy Degree Help Priszilla 12 939 04-06-2024, 04:37 PM
  Fastest & Easiest UMPI Bachelor's shawnette 8 401 04-05-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Graduate TAMUC>UMPI graduatemore 7 579 03-21-2024, 09:14 PM