Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI vs WGU
Hi All!

I am trying to decide if I should apply at UMPI.  I have already applied and been accepted to WGU however WGU did not accept many of my credits (18 out 58) and I am hearing that UMPI accepts way more.

I have some questions but welcome any comments or suggestions. 
  • I have been told WGU is not super hard and very easy to accelerate.  How does this compare to UMPI?
  • Is it hard to get 80s on the projects/finals at UMPI?
  • How many retakes are allowed?
  • Is there a ton of papers at UMPI?
  • Has anyone continued to submit transcripts from Sophia/SL/Study after being accepted?
  • Anything else I should be thinking of to make this decision?

I want to do the BABA in marketing. 

Thanks!
If you are able to transfer in 80-90 credits to UMPI, it's super easy to finish at UMPI within 4-6 months. If you only have 58 credits, UMPI students and alumni can assist you in figuring out what else you can take to transfer to UMPI.

It sounds relatively easy to get 80+% on most papers/exams/projects at UMPI.

I'm not sure that the concept of "retakes" applies to UMPI as such. It might. I do know that you are permitted to submit your draft paper/project first to get comments/suggestions from your instructor. If you make the suggested alterations, it seems like you're pretty much guaranteed an A or at least a B. I'm not sure how it works with courses that have exams.

Yes, most work is a paper or a project of some kind. There are not many exams.

If you are enrolled, you are not allowed to submit further courses from Sophia/SL/SDC without permission. Permission seems relatively easy to get, but it's easier still to just transfer in 80-90 credits and not deal with getting further permission.

UMPI requires science-with-a-lab and a foreign language. If you don't already have them, SDC's BIO 101L is an easy way to get the science and InstantCert is the easiest way for non-speakers to get a Spanish credit. If you're fluent (or partially fluent) in another language, CLEP or ACTFL are your friends. All you need is 3 language credits.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • BetaBen, iggydawn, jch
The primary differences of WGU and UMPI is UMPI is almost essay final based. At WGU you have multiple competencies to master then you can take the OA then the final via a proctor.

At UMPI you work through all the content on your own pace, when ready, you go to the final, and you write anessay for about 5-10 pages for it.

They allow you to send a draft in, so you get a professor's real feedback, and you can fix the feedback before you submit your final and get a grade.

I found the 80% barrier to be pretty easy to meet.
[-] The following 4 users Like ashkir's post:
  • BetaBen, iggydawn, ISKBizz15, jch
(10-05-2021, 01:54 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you are able to transfer in 80-90 credits to UMPI, it's super easy to finish at UMPI within 4-6 months. If you only have 58 credits, UMPI students and alumni can assist you in figuring out what else you can take to transfer to UMPI.

It sounds relatively easy to get 80+% on most papers/exams/projects at UMPI.

I'm not sure that the concept of "retakes" applies to UMPI as such. It might. I do know that you are permitted to submit your draft paper/project first to get comments/suggestions from your instructor. If you make the suggested alterations, it seems like you're pretty much guaranteed an A or at least a B. I'm not sure how it works with courses that have exams.

Yes, most work is a paper or a project of some kind. There are not many exams.

If you are enrolled, you are not allowed to submit further courses from Sophia/SL/SDC without permission. Permission seems relatively easy to get, but it's easier still to just transfer in 80-90 credits and not deal with getting further permission.

UMPI requires science-with-a-lab and a foreign language. If you don't already have them, SDC's BIO 101L is an easy way to get the science and InstantCert is the easiest way for non-speakers to get a Spanish credit. If you're fluent (or partially fluent) in another language, CLEP or ACTFL are your friends. All you need is 3 language credits.
Please define easy? BIO 101L at study.com was far from easy .It was a nightmare. Huh
UMPI, Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Managment Minor, 2021
Magna Cum Laude (3.8 GPA)
(10-05-2021, 01:54 PM)ashkir Wrote: The primary differences of WGU and UMPI is UMPI is almost essay final based. At WGU you have multiple competencies to master then you can take the OA then the final via a proctor.

The OA is the final. You generally don't have to "master" anything before your first attempt at the OA besides passing a pre-assessment (practice test). I've had classes where I took and passed the preassessment then immediately took the OA and finished the course in less than a day. Some classes have a PA and an OA. Some classes have only a PA, which might have a few different tasks within it.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(10-05-2021, 03:04 PM)Federicojavier Wrote: Please define easy? BIO 101L at study.com was far from easy .It was a nightmare. Huh

It's still way easier than chem or physics. Biology is probably the easiest lab science. There are easier sciences, but most don't have labs.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-05-2021, 01:37 PM)iggydawn Wrote: Hi All!

I am trying to decide if I should apply at UMPI.  I have already applied and been accepted to WGU however WGU did not accept many of my credits (18 out 58) and I am hearing that UMPI accepts way more.

I have some questions but welcome any comments or suggestions. 
  • I have been told WGU is not super hard and very easy to accelerate.  How does this compare to UMPI?
  • Has anyone continued to submit transcripts from Sophia/SL/Study after being accepted?
  • Anything else I should be thinking of to make this decision?

I want to do the BABA in marketing. 

Thanks!
  • . I have been told WGU is not super hard and very easy to accelerate. How does this compare to UMPI?
I know nothing about WGU, but I can assure you that if you are looking for speed, UMPI is ideal.
This is not easy to answer because what is easy for you could be hard for someone else. I am a 50-year-old immigrant, plus English is my second language, and even then, I was able to complete seven classes in a session.
With classes with a final paper as your final:
You can go through the course at your own pace, do the quizzes and milestones, and once you feel ready to take the final, you can send a draft to your professor. You wait for their response, and then after making the needed corrections, you submit your final paper. No retakes, as far as I know.
For finals with a multiple-choice exam: You have two chances to pass with at least 80% correct.
I heard it is worse at other places. 
I did with my advisor's permission. However, I would advise you to have at least 90 credits before enrolling at UMPI. The easiest and fastest way to get it done is to take Sophia's courses. 
  • Anything else I should be thinking of to make this decision
UMPI is not for everyone. If you are a young person looking to "learn" from scratch, this is probably not the best way to gain that knowledge.

(10-05-2021, 03:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(10-05-2021, 03:04 PM)Federicojavier Wrote: Please define easy? BIO 101L at study.com was far from easy .It was a nightmare. Huh

It's still way easier than chem or physics. Biology is probably the easiest lab science. There are easier sciences, but most don't have labs.

I agree with that.
UMPI, Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Managment Minor, 2021
Magna Cum Laude (3.8 GPA)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Federicojavier's post:
  • iggydawn
(10-05-2021, 03:15 PM)MNomadic Wrote: The OA is the final. You generally don't have to "master" anything before your first attempt at the OA besides passing a pre-assessment (practice test). I've had classes where I took and passed the preassessment then immediately took the OA and finished the course in less than a day. Some classes have a PA and an OA. Some classes have only a PA, which might have a few different tasks within it.

I got robbed on the preassessment test. Although, got around 80% of the answers correct, only 5% of the course was completed, way less than other courses with preassessment tests.

All that matters in that course is the lab.  Get a 70% score on the lab. You only need a 40% on the final exam to pass.  The question is, how long does it take to do the lab?

The overall material is difficult and covers a lot more than my high school Biology course. However, if I took the course, I would not try to learn all the material, sneak by with a C/B passing grade, and then move on with life.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • iggydawn
I would say that it depends on the degree you want to get. If UMPI doesn't have the degree, then you shouldn't go there. OTOH, if they have something you want, then you could discuss comparisons.

The thing with WGU is that they don't have a lot of Gen Ed's, and zero electives; UMPI has 40 (?) GE's plus lots of space for electives depending on the degree. It is going to be MUCH easier to make the credits you already have fit within most UMPI degrees; not so with WGU as you've discovered.

So, first, tell us which degree you want; then we can help you. Also, my advice is to always look forward rather than backwards. Looking backwards is saying "here's what the school brought in of my completed credits." Looking forwards is asking "How many credits do I need to take to complete my degree, how much time/money will it take to bring things in, and how much time/money will I spend at the school for the remaining credits?" If you do that with a degree from both schools, you'll be able to compare and see what you have left to do, and THEN you can make an informed decision.

(10-05-2021, 03:04 PM)Federicojavier Wrote:
(10-05-2021, 01:54 PM)rachel83az Wrote: UMPI requires science-with-a-lab and a foreign language. If you don't already have them, SDC's BIO 101L is an easy way to get the science and InstantCert is the easiest way for non-speakers to get a Spanish credit. If you're fluent (or partially fluent) in another language, CLEP or ACTFL are your friends. All you need is 3 language credits.
Please define easy? BIO 101L at study.com was far from easy .It was a nightmare. Huh

"Easy" is relative, and I'm guessing rachel83az means cheaply, and the easiest option.  If you must take a lab science, the options are Study.com's Bio ($199 for a month + $69 for the virtual lab = $268 and you get to take another course in that month as well) or Chem, one of SL's courses which will cost you $99 for a month + $59 for the course + $49 for the lab + $82 for the kit + shipping (so ~$300).  The UMPI course has proven to be a problem so far, and is not recommended.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jch
(10-05-2021, 04:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would say that it depends on the degree you want to get.  If UMPI doesn't have the degree, then you shouldn't go there.  OTOH, if they have something you want, then you could discuss comparisons.

The thing with WGU is that they don't have a lot of Gen Ed's, and zero electives; UMPI has 40 (?) GE's plus lots of space for electives depending on the degree.  It is going to be MUCH easier to make the credits you already have fit within most UMPI degrees; not so with WGU as you've discovered.

So, first, tell us which degree you want; then we can help you.  Also, my advice is to always look forward rather than backwards.  Looking backwards is saying "here's what the school brought in of my completed credits." Looking forwards is asking "How many credits do I need to take to complete my degree, how much time/money will it take to bring things in, and how much time/money will I spend at the school for the remaining credits?"  If you do that with a degree from both schools, you'll be able to compare and see what you have left to do, and THEN you can make an informed decision.

The degree is the Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration – Marketing Concentration.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,359 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 428 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 318 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 285 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia to UMPI Transcript wowzers 9 413 04-06-2024, 01:19 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 96 62,647 04-01-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 325 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 307 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 345 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 1,025 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567