Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This school any good abroad?
Any RA degree will do. In fact, you can choose from any of the Big 3 or CBE providers such as Walden, WGU, UMPI. If the country you're looking at is alright with NA degrees, then any NA degree will do as well. I would take some time to get started with Sophia.org courses first, and then work your way with those courses, when you're at 15,30,45 credits then you can decide which degree/school you want to finish with.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-19-2021, 12:45 PM)HappyPeanut Wrote: I need a degree in anything to teach English in Asia. Will this school accredit me to work overseas? Thanks!

A Bachelors Degree from any accredited institution in the USA should work. For example, in Japan a Bachelors Degree is required to get a work visa. This work visa will require a company to sponsor you. I'm speaking strictly from an academic requirements perspective. There are loop holes and ways around these requirements (like marrying to get citizenship etc.) Let's not go down that rabbit hole.

So, there are the legal requirements and then there is what employers actually want.

As I said, a Bachelors Degree from just about anywhere in the USA will cover you legally. However, some employers in Japan and Korea will specifically want to see "University" in the title of your school. Don't let the "University" vs. "College" thing scare you. I am hearing less and less about it now. But, I recommend you get your bachelors degree from a place with "University" in the title. This might come in handy at some of the Eikaiwas and cram schools in Japan. 

Where specifically in Asia are you interested in?

(update: I see that you are interested in China and Russia, I'm going to leave my original post here if it helps anyone interested in Japan) For China, read the contract carefully, then, be prepared for them to not honor the contract once you get there. I hear that it can be rewarding to teach English in China, but it is considered to be much more difficult than Japan or Korea for a number of reasons. I have not heard anything negative about Russia other than the pay being very low. I hear the students there are very well behaved. Japan is easy mode for teachers. You can get by on just English in Tokyo and Osaka. I know because I have personally lived there when I was just starting to learn Japanese. However, for China and Russia I have been told that you need to be fluent at a high-beginner to approaching intermediate level of the language to really get by in daily life. The larger the city the better in either of those countries. Venture out into the countryside in any of these places and your chances of getting by with just using English approaches zero.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes AwardTour's post:
  • Pikachu
(07-21-2021, 01:23 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Any RA degree will do.  In fact, you can choose from any of the Big 3 or CBE providers such as Walden, WGU, UMPI.  If the country you're looking at is alright with NA degrees, then any NA degree will do as well.  I would take some time to get started with Sophia.org courses first, and then work your way with those courses, when you're at 15,30,45 credits then you can decide which degree/school you want to finish with.

Thanks for your reply. I'm so beginner i need to ask what is an RA degree? Thanks!

(07-25-2021, 05:29 AM)AwardTour Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 12:45 PM)HappyPeanut Wrote: I need a degree in anything to teach English in Asia. Will this school accredit me to work overseas? Thanks!

A Bachelors Degree from any accredited institution in the USA should work. For example, in Japan a Bachelors Degree is required to get a work visa. This work visa will require a company to sponsor you. I'm speaking strictly from an academic requirements perspective. There are loop holes and ways around these requirements (like marrying to get citizenship etc.) Let's not go down that rabbit hole.

So, there are the legal requirements and then there is what employers actually want.

As I said, a Bachelors Degree from just about anywhere in the USA will cover you legally. However, some employers in Japan and Korea will specifically want to see "University" in the title of your school. Don't let the "University" vs. "College" thing scare you. I am hearing less and less about it now. But, I recommend you get your bachelors degree from a place with "University" in the title. This might come in handy at some of the Eikaiwas and cram schools in Japan. 

Where specifically in Asia are you interested in?

(update: I see that you are interested in China and Russia, I'm going to leave my original post here if it helps anyone interested in Japan) For China, read the contract carefully, then, be prepared for them to not honor the contract once you get there. I hear that it can be rewarding to teach English in China, but it is considered to be much more difficult than Japan or Korea for a number of reasons. I have not heard anything negative about Russia other than the pay being very low. I hear the students there are very well behaved. Japan is easy mode for teachers. You can get by on just English in Tokyo and Osaka. I know because I have personally lived there when I was just starting to learn Japanese. However, for China and Russia I have been told that you need to be fluent at a high-beginner to approaching intermediate level of the language to really get by in daily life. The larger the city the better in either of those countries. Venture out into the countryside in any of these places and your chances of getting by with just using English approaches zero.

Thanks so much for your reply! I have a lot of friends that enjoy Japan so much and always tell me to travel there. I started learning Chinese when i was younger and now i am able to understand it very well. So, China would be the place i would go teach English. So I'm trying really hard to accomplish this degree. My biggest challenge is making time to study because now I'm older and always depend on money. I also hope to teach in Russia because Moscow looks impressive! Heart
开心花生, RA = Regionally Accredited, NA = Nationally Accredited. If you're going to be teaching overseas or going into grad school, RA would be a better option as most schools will require this type of accreditation. NA will be acceptable only to a handful/select few grad schools... the bulk will require a RA degree to get into a grad program...

In regards to languages, what have you learned? Is Chinese your first language? It's great you like learning languages, I do too!

(07-26-2021, 05:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: 开心花生, RA = Regionally Accredited, NA = Nationally Accredited.  If you're going to be teaching overseas or going into grad school, RA would be a better option as most schools will require this type of accreditation.  NA will be acceptable only to a handful/select few grad schools... the bulk will require a RA degree to get into a grad program...

In regards to languages, what have you learned? Is Chinese your first language?  It's great you like learning languages, I do too!

Thanks for your reply! Just for more clarity on this subject. I am currently working towards a BABA degree from UMPI but if i ever decide to do a masters degree program would this degree help me get accepted at Fudan University in Shanghai? 谢谢
Damn, You know your schools! Fudan is a top 10 school in China, it's following closely to the footsteps of Tsinghua, Peking, and they're prob at #3, depending on the rankings you look at. A TESU or UMPI degree alone may not help you get in as there are so many students looking into these top schools. Having said that, it all depends not only on your education, but the overall picture of your evaluation. In short, no...

(07-26-2021, 06:41 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Damn, You know your schools!  Fudan is a top 10 school in China, it's following closely to the footsteps of Tsinghua, Peking, and they're prob at #3, depending on the rankings you look at.  A TESU or UMPI degree alone may not help you get in as there are so many students looking into these top schools.  Having said that, it all depends not only on your education, but the overall picture of your evaluation.  In short, no...

Honestly i don't see myself doing a masters degree but if it's available why not. I just need any degree to travel around and make money. Coming from an IT code and design background i learned there are always hacks to get what you need! Thank you my friend! Heart

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International High School Equivalency for UMPI Application kylan11 5 335 03-08-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Returning to school Spring...next week. Terrified ender5803 8 740 01-11-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: ender5803
Exclamation UMPI not accepting high school diploma because its not being sent by the school FM1 11 997 12-18-2023, 06:35 PM
Last Post: FM1
  Good UL credits on Brightspace? (not history/poli sci) umpidawg10 7 1,014 10-30-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: umpidawg10
  UMPI doesn’t make any cool school merch for us YourPacer’s, so I’ve gone rogue! :) tsgreer 29 2,303 09-25-2023, 07:34 AM
Last Post: tsgreer
  Good news, Sophia's course Critical Thinking is now available for transfer as HUM103 Leo Wu 9 1,146 06-16-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Infinite-Telephone52
  l don’t recommend this school @TonetoReal 44 5,588 04-30-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Language Credits from high school? cclocks8 11 995 09-17-2022, 11:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Good news for those who dislike math? rachel83az 5 811 08-25-2022, 01:05 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Good Tips for Upcoming Classes jb0433 3 718 03-13-2022, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Xyxyfendz