Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UNH Law’s Hybrid Juris Doctor in Intellectual Property
https://law.unh.edu/academics/degrees-ce...l-property
Are you pointing this out because it's hybrid or because of the IP? There are many of these hybrid programs. I'm still hoping ABA loosens up a bit and considers doing a 100% online program through a school that can offer a JD at a good price.

In other news, I have connections to the local law school. Word of the street is, at least in my state, there's talk of releasing a new credential that would let people with far less education represent others in court. Apparently, this is being considered because of so many people not being able to afford a lawyer and a lack of public defenders. The law school professor who initially told me about this was not happy about it at all. Sort of makes me wonder if going to law school will really be worth it 10 years from now.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
I think there are only a handful of ABA-accredited, hybrid JD programs. I've only seen five so far.

Isn't there a state that has a legal license that only allows people to help with legal documents? I was thinking of independent paralegals, but I remember there being a different name.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I found it! Washington has limited license legal technicians. They also have limited practice officers.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • dewisant
(02-22-2019, 11:23 AM)sanantone Wrote: I found it! Washington has limited license legal technicians. They also have limited practice officers.

Yes, that is the one. I spoke to the law professor again tonight and had it confirmed. The professor is worried that the the limited license legal technicians would not have enough legal education to deal with clients from a wrap-around perspective of how one thing could affect something else.

The other issue that is interesting, in my current state, is that paralegals are separate from legal secretaries. Anyone can be a legal secretary, but to be a paralegal has a lot more educational and work experience requirements. Paralegals are also required to be part of the state bar. Here though, they must be supervised by a lawyer and cannot own a law firm in any way including partnerships.

Basically, if my state legalizes the Limited License Legal Technicians, some of the paralegals may go for that simply because it would then allow them to operate without being supervised and to own a law firm including partnerships. I can't really say though that this would help the public much given that the majority of the state is so poor.
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(02-22-2019, 10:03 AM)sanantone Wrote: I think there are only a handful of ABA-accredited, hybrid JD programs. I've only seen five so far.

What are these five programs?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(02-22-2019, 11:06 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 10:03 AM)sanantone Wrote: I think there are only a handful of ABA-accredited, hybrid JD programs. I've only seen five so far.

What are these five programs?

https://mitchellhamline.edu/academics/j-...d-program/

http://jdinteractive.syr.edu/

https://onlinelaw.udayton.edu/

https://www.jmls.edu/academics/jd/jd-online.php

The big news is the ABA is now allowing their general ABA accredited schools to have students earn 1/3 of the required JD credits for a program online. As a result, a number of "weekend" JD programs are popping up.

"Weekend" JDs w/ online components

https://law.shu.edu/part-time-jd-degree/index.cfm

https://www.luc.edu/law/academics/degree...eekendjd//

https://www.law.du.edu/admissions/about-...jd-program

https://mckinneylaw.iu.edu/courses/onlin...index.html#
*** Says up to 15 credits online based on ABA, but ABA just changed this to 30 credits, so the school should allow for 30.

Additionally, if you don't care about ABA requirements then a non-accredited JD programs also might be an option, if you plan to practice in a state like California. They still require taking the baby bar. There is a loophole where if you practice a certain number of years you can often be accepted into the bar of other states without having gone to an ABA law school. From my understanding the top notch of these is Saint Francis law which is very particular about who they accept.
https://stfrancislaw.com/

Another non-ABA school that I know is very popular with both us and Canadian students is Bond University in Australia.
https://bond.edu.au/intl/future-students...nts-canada

I can't remember who it was but one of the members here recently posted a CBE version of a JD online that was non-ABA accredited too.
(02-23-2019, 02:50 AM)SweetSecret Wrote: There is a loophole where if you practice a certain number of years you can often be accepted into the bar of other states without having gone to an ABA law school.

0 state bars currently have reciprocity with California (i would assume the way CalBar accepts non-ABA schools might be one of the reasons for this), but 3 states will let you take an attorneys exam (shortened version of the bar for practicing attorneys) if you don't have an ABA degree and want to "transfer" from CA. Like you said, you'll need to have been practicing in CA for a number of years as well (3-10 years depending on state). Maine, Maryland, and Rhode Island are the 3 states.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(02-23-2019, 02:29 PM)jsd Wrote: 0 state bars currently have reciprocity with California (i would assume the way CalBar accepts non-ABA schools might be one of the reasons for this), but 3 states will let you take an attorneys exam (shortened version of the bar for practicing attorneys) if you don't have an ABA degree and want to "transfer" from CA. Like you said, you'll need to have been practicing in CA for a number of years as well (3-10 years depending on state). Maine, Maryland, and Rhode Island are the 3 states.

The state I live in also allows non-aba graduates to take the bar. I think they require 5 years of practice in another state.

Speaking of, Guam is on the ABA list. I have heard the compensation and lifestyle there is really nice. 

For anyone wanting more info on this here's a great link:
https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/...eckdam.pdf
What state is that? I know Virginia has some more lax state bar rules and you can study under a judge or attorney (within the state) instead of an ABA school degree (you can do that in CA as well -- in the past i think Washington State and Vermont also allowed that, but I'm not sure if those two still do. I haven't kept up on that method), but they won't let you sit for the bar or the attorney's exam with a non-ABA school even with experience elsewhere. You'd have to still do the judge/attorney apprenticeship, meaning the non-ABA school was just additional unnecessary work (unless you specifically want to work in CA or transfer to the 3 states i mentioned). As of 2018, only the three I mentioned will let you take the attorney exam without an ABA degree, based on years of experience.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Middle Georgia State U Doctor of Science in Public Safety freeloader 13 1,085 03-22-2024, 02:38 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  Later in Life Doctor MD/DO dewisant 9 612 02-03-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Doctor of Forensic Sciences sanantone 4 1,188 12-29-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Middle Georgia State : Doctor of Science in IT durain 6 1,545 12-19-2023, 02:44 AM
  1-year Doctor of Health Science sanantone 1 867 08-20-2023, 02:52 AM
Last Post: datby98
  Capella FlexPath Doctor of Human Services (DHS) Jonathan Whatley 4 739 07-31-2023, 12:13 PM
  Doctor of Management (DM) - 42 Credits/TRACS - about $16K USD bjcheung77 8 2,087 06-15-2023, 11:27 PM
  Purdue University Doctor of Technology Program JTP 12 3,595 05-10-2023, 03:20 PM
Last Post: JTP
  Doctor of Professional Practice (can possibly use free graduate certificate) sanantone 4 1,074 01-20-2023, 01:07 PM
  Doctor of Health Care Administration sanantone 11 1,949 12-22-2022, 11:21 AM