Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URGENT! SDC computer architecture project : part 4
Hello everyone has anyone taken the above course, having a difficult time on it. I have little experience with assembly code.

Does anyone know what part for is trying to say? 

Write a program that shifts the content of a register until the least significant bit is 0. Think of a way to stop shifting if the content of the register is 11111111 and add it to your program.

Does the program want us to input a random 8 bit binary number? Is a random binary number (already inserted into the program).

When I insert an 8 bit number the program will shift the 8 bit number (add 0 to the most significant bit)until the number  = 00000000 (thus the least significant bit = 0). 
What I dont understand if the LSB = 0 (00000000), how can the content of the register = 11111111?

Can someone explain what this program wants us to do? Your help would be great!
Slightly different problem, but maybe this one will help you figure out that one: https://www.chegg.com/homework-help/ques...-q47788872

https://ignoubca2017.files.wordpress.com...allab9.pdf
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2200...-in-memory
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Hello Rachel, I saw your links but they were very different from what the part 4 question was asking. This is still confusing.

Write an assembly program that shifts the content of a register until the least significant bit is 0. Think of a way to stop shifting if the content of the register is 11111111 and add it to your program.

I am still trying to figure out what the above program wants us to do, after inserting a number into the program - anyones help will be appreciated.
(10-30-2021, 08:54 AM)Bobbym Wrote: Hello Rachel, I saw your links but they were very different from what the part 4 question was asking. This is still confusing.

Write an assembly program that shifts the content of a register until the least significant bit is 0. Think of a way to stop shifting if the content of the register is 11111111 and add it to your program.

I am still trying to figure out what the above program wants us to do, after inserting a number into the program - anyones help will be appreciated.

If the register is 11111111, then your program will continue to shift it forever, because it will never have 0 in the least significant bit (assuming that they mean rotating, not just shifting it).

That's why your program needs a way to break the loop.

Anyways, this course is terrible. It is a waste of time honestly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Holmes's post:
  • rachel83az
@Bobbym This is NOT a waste of time. If you ever do DSP stuff on MCUs it actually makes a lot of sense. When you start doing bit twidderly in C or C++ you'll need to understand what's happening. When you look at the disassembly view in Keil or IAR then this knowledge is FUNDAMENTAL.

Okay as per your assignment, look at the machine architecture, that will determine if the machine is using Little Endian or Big Endian storage type in the register.

The key of the program is to perform a bitwise shift operation depending on the register storage operation, and depending on the endianess, that will determine if you do a left or right bitwise shift.

Remember if you keep shifting what happens to the bits? if it's using two's complement format, what digit is used to maintain it being signed or unsigned. If you're wondering how you will get all 1's there is your clue.

Also regardless of which number you started with you can do your shifts to get all zeros.

As for if the register is all ones, what is all ones in decimal? if it's 8 bits in 2's complement representation format?. How can you check that in assembly?

If you did the course its actually pretty easy, it's been a few years for me, but this stuff is used in industry all the time.

Oh and remember the assembly mnemonics structuring will match the processor architecture of your design.

@holmes what crap are you saying? OMG.

If you shift the contents of a full register it WILL get to a 0 in the LSB if you do a shift. Remember left shift does "blank" and right shift does "blank" operations (hint * and /).

If the 8 bit register word size is 255 bits, and you try to insert a greater value than it can hold then a register OVERFLOW will occur when the register is given a value more than it can hold and it will start from 0 again.

Let's say you have an 8-bit MCU (PIC, AVR, STM8 etc) and you keep shifting bits what will happen?

Here is a 4 bit counter done on the Arduino as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fTlrFOLFU

Its a 4 bit register, what happens when you keep shifting bits? It returns to 0. Remember 0 in an 8-bit register is 00000000.

Ever work with C or C++? When happens if you have an int and you try to store a larger value than the storage size? It wraps around.

See this is why this course is so important. If you get a job as an embedded software engineer this is FUNDAMENTAL knowledge. Play around with a microcontroller, program in C or C++ and see what happens.

THIS COURSE IS NOT A WASTE OF TIME IT IS IMPORTANT. Maybe you just don't work in a field where its important to YOU. But for understanding things like ECC, CRC etc and writing solid programs its invaluable.

Even if you decide to do web or mobile, unless you plan to do nothing but front end development or UI this stuff IS important. At some point you'll have to optimize something and you can't use "var" you must do an explicit type declaration like "int" and if you don't know this then you'll have a hell of a time when a player's points reaches to zero after they cross a certain value.

Its so prevalent and part of bugs it's part of the C standard library <stdlib.h>

Look at

int8_t
int16_t
int32_t

etc...

@Bobbym This stuff is what will set you apart from the dime a dozen code monkey's when you go into the field. This bit stuff is so important a BIBLE for anyone working with hardware and even hacker's is this book "Hacker's Delight" that handles a lot of bit twiddlery here:

https://www.amazon.com/Hackers-Delight-2...0321842685

Here's also a free page that people refer to all the time for bit twiddling:
https://graphics.stanford.edu/~seander/bithacks.html
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • LevelUP
(12-26-2021, 02:07 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: ... THIS COURSE IS NOT A WASTE OF TIME IT IS IMPORTANT ...

Due to the hostile and arrogant attitude I'm not going to respond to anything but this quoted sentence, because this is not what I meant. The "Computer Architecture" course in general is important for Computer Scientists and Computer Engineers. No one is arguing against that. I myself have taken this course back in 2006 or 2007 before dropping out of an Electrical Engineering program. What I have described as a "waste of time" is the course that is offered by study.com.
[-] The following 3 users Like Holmes's post:
  • jch, jsd, rachel83az
@holmes I though this thread was about the computer architecture course offered at study.com.

The title is LITERALLY "SDC Computer Architecture Project".

So I reiterate YOU ARE WRONG THIS COURSE (ie the course at study.com, whose name is in the title of this thread) IT IS NOT A WASTE OF TIME IT IS IMPORTANT.

If you look at the modules of the course its actually one of the better courses on study.com, its got really good stuff in there. You're actually being ignorant of what it offers.

I'm iust sick of people on here calling this course a "waste of time" and "useless" because they don't understand the material. If you go through the course and learn the material its an awesome course.

Arrogant? that's a big word let me look it up.

Arrogant: "having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities"

Since this is a post on a technical topic, I guess you're talking of my abilities. I'm not arrogant, I know my abilities and my limits, I'm not exaggerating, after 10 years+ I know my stuff, I don't know everything, but this stuff I do know. If you have a contract for my company I'll happily demonstrate my abilities to you, and you will soon find I'm not exaggerating them at all. If you're calling me out for "exaggerating" my abilities. Put your money where your mouth is, else don't call people names.

PM me if you're interested, don't want to throw the thread any more off course.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • LevelUP
Again, I'm not going to argue with you, not on that course nor on any other personal stuff. You have your opinion and I have mine.

I don't know you to say that you are an arrogant person. However, your attitude certainly is hostile, and honestly, it's not even justified!

I apologize for using that word that bothered you though.

Have a good day and good luck.
I agree that the SDC course is a huge waste of time and I almost feel stupider for having gone through it. It teaches little of import; almost nothing that can be used to complete the assignment. The reason why students struggle with this course isn't because it's difficult. It's not. It's laughably easy, at least after having gone through other CS courses. The hard part is the assignment where very little guidance is given. What instructions there are are ambiguous at best. It's a shame. It could be good. I am sure that students come out the other side having learned a lot. But most likely almost entirely from sources that are not SDC. That is not okay.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-26-2021, 05:36 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I agree that the SDC course is a huge waste of time and I almost feel stupider for having gone through it. It teaches little of import; almost nothing that can be used to complete the assignment. The reason why students struggle with this course isn't because it's difficult. It's not. It's laughably easy, at least after having gone through other CS courses. The hard part is the assignment where very little guidance is given. What instructions there are are ambiguous at best. It's a shame. It could be good. I am sure that students come out the other side having learned a lot. But most likely almost entirely from sources that are not SDC. That is not okay.
That's the unfortunate part. I've told everyone I've helped to write in the course critique that the material is inadequate to prepare someone for the project. The project is extremely helpful to learn the fundamentals but it's absurd that you need multiple outside sources to complete it.

They appear to have tweaked the project since I did the course to make it slightly less confusing but they have not added the necessary material to provide the background knowledge necessary.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tallpilot's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Speedrunning SDC Data Structures and Computer Architecture advice? Randyb100 15 725 04-09-2024, 06:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How does Sophia.org work? What's the not graded part and graded part? whiverem 5 547 10-05-2023, 11:44 AM
  Sophia Project Management MrBossmanJr 19 3,373 09-15-2023, 06:00 PM
  Computer Architecture Questions ACI 4 879 03-18-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Question re: SDC Computer Science 204 - Database Programming raekwon 6 1,584 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  SDC: Computer Science 107 vs Analytics 103? raekwon 7 1,727 06-13-2022, 01:58 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Anyone recently take CS402: Computer Communications and Networks yellow_gambit 7 1,957 04-15-2022, 11:20 PM
Last Post: pajakuta
  Question about COS 306 Computer Architecture Study.com Final assignment exxxius 17 3,062 12-19-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: AllThose299s
  urgent. study.com course end date - nov 30 onlinelearner99 17 2,143 12-06-2021, 03:43 PM
  Saylor BUS402: Project Management ClockworkHammer 4 1,234 11-19-2021, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Cofffeee