Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Phoenix or Excelsior?
I am currently enrolled in my seventh week at the University of Phoenix. At the time, I had never heard of Excelsior. I heard about CLEP, got on here and now I have so many new questions! Firstly, I am studying for my Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education. But, it was hard to choose between that major and Information Technology. Excelsior does not offer courses for Elementary Education. If I changed my major to Information Technology and enrolled at Excelsior, between CLEP and ECE exams I think I may be able to receive a Bachelor's Degree much sooner than staying enrolled at UoP and trying to CLEP out - they only allow 30 CLEP credits. My questions are:
1)Could I enroll at Excelsior after I finish my first block of classes at UoP and then transfer my 6 measley credits?
2)If I get my Bachelor's from EC and go back to UoP for my Master's in Elementary Education will they accept my transfer credits if they are comprised of mostly ECE exams?
3)Will EC let me hold off on taking some classes after I enroll in order to study for some ECE exams?
4)Does any of this sound like a good idea?

Thanks so much! This place is wonderful!

Oh yes, one last question. I am scheduled to take the Freshman College Composition with Essay in 6 days. If I take this CLEP, pass it and receive credit for it at UoP, will EC accept this credit? I have read they do not accept the CLEP test for the Fresh. Comp. But, will they accept it is a transfer credit?
1) Yes, you can finish up the courses you are taking with UoP and then enroll at Excelsior to earn those credits.
2) When I enrolled in grad school, I was pretty much told that it didn't matter how I earned the credits only that I earned the degree. Each grad school is different, but I don't imagine it would be much of an issue. Always ask though.
3) You don't have to actually take any classes at all with Excelsior. So yes, you can take your time taking courses or taking ECE. There is a remarticulation fee after the first year though.
4) Whatever works best for you really.

That being said Excelsior is a good school. If you are interested in Information Technology I would definitely look them over. You did mention an interest in Elementary Education. Charter Oak has a Child Studies concentration that can be geared towards Early Childhood Education.

Child Study Concentration, Major - Charter Oak State College

They also have a Child and Youth Development concentration:

Child and Youth Development Concentration, Major - Charter Oak State College

Perhaps these would better balance your desire for an education degree, while also allowing you to more quickly finish out your Bachelors (and cheaper).

Excelsior, Charter Oak, and UoP are all reputable schools. Figure out what is best for your situation, but you should give Charter Oak a look over.

For that matter, Thomas Edison may have something that works out well for you as well. Excelsior isn't the only school that has no credit-by-exam limit. It simply appears to be the most popular on the board.

I'm partial to Saint Leo myself. I should be expected to be biased though.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
Two letters should help you decide....... [SIZE="7"]EC[/SIZE][COLOR="navy"]!!

Now back to our regular programming..[/COLOR]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,576 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 347 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,754 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,799 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 762 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,317 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,782 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 411 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 572 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,623 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff