Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
University of the People Experiences
In order to become an instructor at the University of the People, you can´t be a student there.

I applied there, but since I was enrolled in the BSCS, I was not considered.

Otherwise I could have been a data point for their enrollment processes.
The application process is pretty tedious and takes time. You also complete training alone online, so while anyone might be considered, it's quite a process. They also want proof of degree and all transcripts. I called into question the policy that teachers can't be students. I wanted to do my MEd but they stopped me because I teach. The thing is if you have a Masters, you can only teach undergrad so you would never have access to teachings masters classes, so I'm not seeing the conflict of interest there? Builds up the credibility of the programs if your own teachers take them.
Harvard Extension School- HESA President- 2024
O.P. Jindal Global University- MA in International Relations, Security, and Strategy- In Prog.
Harvard Uni-Ext. School- ALM in English- In Prog., Cert. in American Lit. and Culture- May 2024
Harvard Uni- Kennedy School of Gov.- PLC- Public Leadership Credential- 01/2023
Bottega Uni- MBA-Feb. 2022
Kennesaw State Uni- BA English-Dec. 2021
Charter Oak State College- BS/AS Psychology- 2013
[-] The following 4 users Like collegecareerstudent's post:
  • JannikTT, MrPanda, rachel83az, RachelB
That is interesting that you can not be a student and teach. If I taught there, I’d probably want to go through the program so I would know what I am representing. But I am odd like that, I guess.

Does anyone know if they have graduates from their programs returning to teach?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 3 users Like Vle045's post:
  • collegecareerstudent, FastTrackDegree, RachelB
I took classes there. I had one of my favorite teachers there in the MBA program, but also my least liked... because of lack of any significant interaction. The first one was amazing though and I actually ended up taking a class that I didn't even need, but has been dumped into during their automatic registration. I did not appreciate the peer grading system for various reasons. The fact that the school has students internationally has both good and bad points. It makes group projects even more challenging, but it's also great for networking. I would definitely be willing to do volunteer teaching there and the future but unless a person is really struggling financially I would say to go elsewhere for graduate classes. My overall experience at ACE was significantly better just by the lack of peer grading, video content, and their quality of forum content among students. I definitely appreciate what UoPeople is trying to do though.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Just keep in mind teachers have 40+ students per class, with varying levels of students dropping out throughout the first 4 weeks of terms. We don't have office hours but are always available via email. Most instructors have full time jobs and are in school themselves. We have to be. But the time investment is nonetheless huge. We aren't allowed to disclose the amounts we are paid but it's a volunteer position with a lump sum paid during the 12th week of the term end that lasts 8 weeks. I can tell you when you factor everything in, it's well below minimum wage.

I don't really talk to the other instructors often but there is an online school forum available to teachers to talk. I'm sure a few may have finished the program and returned. I just don't know who those people are. I'm hesitant to stop teaching just to go through the grad program and then return, because the application process was that tedious for me hahaha.

That' s something I dislike about O.P. Jindal University's MA program- after first semester I told them I'd leave if they kept the same structure per class (group final paper with weekly meetings with group members.) It was overwhelming and some members were starting trouble for no reason and I definitely felt I did more work overall than them. They finally changed the program to allow for individual options. I think University of the People will alter the group projects eventually... hopefully, or at least give multiple options.
Harvard Extension School- HESA President- 2024
O.P. Jindal Global University- MA in International Relations, Security, and Strategy- In Prog.
Harvard Uni-Ext. School- ALM in English- In Prog., Cert. in American Lit. and Culture- May 2024
Harvard Uni- Kennedy School of Gov.- PLC- Public Leadership Credential- 01/2023
Bottega Uni- MBA-Feb. 2022
Kennesaw State Uni- BA English-Dec. 2021
Charter Oak State College- BS/AS Psychology- 2013
[-] The following 1 user Likes collegecareerstudent's post:
  • RachelB
(01-13-2023, 09:08 AM)MrPanda Wrote: In order to become an instructor at the University of the People, you can´t be a student there.

I applied there, but since I was enrolled in the BSCS, I was not considered.

Otherwise I could have been a data point for their enrollment processes.

They just updated this policy last week. Faculty members can now be students at the university, but they must follow a different enrollment process. You also cannot get a degree from the same department where you are an instructor. For example, an instructor in the MBA program cannot become a student in the MBA program.
Ed.D. (Capella University)
Vice Provost for Distance & Extended Education, Online Adjunct, & Instructional Design Consultant
[-] The following 2 users Like sacredrain's post:
  • origamishuttle, RachelB
I didn´t find a different process listed here:

https://www.uopeople.edu/volunteer/

I just selected "Become an instructor" and got the old message again:

[Image: no-elegible.jpg]
I am interested in becoming an instructor for the experience. Following this thread.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
University of the People decided to take back their offer on me being an instructor. The reason as to why is because the degree isn't "graduated" yet because VUL's graduation date is in May, despite the conferral being in December.
I started with UofPeople last year and its a lot of work for little reward, with that being said I want to be an undergrad professor at a local university. So while I am finishing my DBA, I figured this experience would boost my chances.
DBA Organization Leadership - South - Expected April 2024
BA Political Science and History - UMPI - 2022
MS Cybersecurity & Information Assurance - WGU - 2021
BS Computer Science - Park U - 2018
MBA Public Administration - CSU - 2016
BS Management - Park U - 2010
AAS Communications Technology - CCAF - 2008

CEH/CHFI/SEC+/NET+/Proj+/CISSP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 242 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 269 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,684 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,502 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 653 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 351 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Liberty University indigoshuffle 8 761 01-16-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 47 6,930 01-10-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: bornsupercharged
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 14,968 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Newlane University NA CBE AAGS & BA Philosophy Jonathan Whatley 6 1,263 12-06-2023, 11:44 AM
Last Post: forkintheroad