Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Up to 30 days to gamble - would YOU do it?
I'm a licensed Paramedic in 2 states and nationally. This certificate took 2 years of blood, sweat, and tears to complete, and I have been actively working for 5 years.

When I sent TESU my license, they awarded me 6 credits for the training. Confused, I looked at what I received and they gave me credit as transfer for NREMT - EMT level. While I appreciate getting some "free" units, I was a bit upset that my training was transferred the same as a 2 month first aid course.

I emailed TESU and asked them to review the differences between EMT and Paramedic, sending them the NREMT and National Standard Curriculum of both programs asking them to assess both again.

Because of my training I both can, and am licensed to do most things an RN can. This means I should have a lot of free electives coming if they credit me for the correct program.

1. Do you think I'll receive a favorable response?
2. Would it be worth waiting on completing the last of my credits in hopes of getting something additional from the evaluation?
3. Was emailing them enough, or do I need to call and find someone high up who could get me definitive answers?

The reason I ask is because I don't have a lot left to do outside of the capstone. So to put the last bit on pause and wait would be torture, especially if the gamble fails and they refuse to award more credits.

Danke. Heart
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheeseburrito's post:
  • Yenisei
You need more ammo when you send them the information such as you did. I would reference TEEX EMT Paramedic Fast or Slow paced from ACE, it's worth 23 credits, the TEEX EMT Basic Fast or Slow paced is worth 6 credits. I think you can leverage it more when you have a valid example. I would follow up with them after they respond to your inquiry.

Link: https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseacti...rchResults
Send them the details of each one and clearly indicate to them your cert/training/experience matches and exceeds what is listed.

EMT Basic Slow Paced (EMS110)
Credit Type: Course
ACE Course Number: 0184
Organization: Texas Engineering Extension Service
Length: 264 hours (33 weeks)
Dates Offered: 11/1/2006 - Present
Objective: To provide the skills necessary to provide emergency medical care at a basic life support level with ambulance or other specialized service.
Learning Outcome: Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to perform an initial assessment of a patient; perform CPR; control external bleeding; recognize and treat shock; dress and bandage wounds; care for burns, deliver a baby; manage patients with behavioral or psychological problems; and use equipment carried on an ambulance.
Instruction: Major topics covered in the course are patient assessment, HazMat, basic pharmacology, shock, and the automatic external defibrillator. Methods of instruction include lecture, in-class and out-of-class assignments, projects, presentation requirements, and examinations.
Credit Recommendation: In the lower division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 6 semester hours in Health Science, Allied Health, Emergency Medical Care, or Fire Science (9/09).

EMT Paramedic Slow Paced (EMS130)
Credit Type: Course
ACE Course Number: 0186
Organization: Texas Engineering Extension Service
Length: 624 hours (20 weeks)
Dates Offered: 11/1/2008 - Present
Prerequisites: Current EMT Basic certification (Texas or NREMT). Valid American Heart Association Healthcare Provider CPR or American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer certification.
Objective: To provide the skills necessary to recognize the seriousness of the patient's condition or extent of injuries to assess requirements for emergency medical care and administer appropriate emergency medical care for life threatening injuries relative to airway, breathing and circulation.
Learning Outcome: Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to identify patient situations where the paramedic can intervene in a preventive manner; differentiate between the scope of practice and the standard of care for paramedic practice; assess the pathophysiology of a patient's condition by identifying classification of drugs; and apply the fundamental elements of critical thinking for paramedics.
Instruction: Major topics covered in the course are advanced patient assessment, Haz-Mat, basic pharmacology, shock, automatic external defibrillator, advanced airway management, fluid therapy, medication administration, and cardiac monitoring. Methods of instruction include lecture, in-class and out-of-class assignments, projects, presentation requirements, and examinations.
Credit Recommendation: In the lower division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 23 semester hours in Health Science, Allied Health, Emergency Medical Care, or Paramedical Science (9/09).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 4 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Cheeseburrito, cookderosa, Joeman200, Yenisei
I think they're giving you credit for EMT rather than Paramedic.  The EMT is worth 6cr, the Paramedic is worth 16cr.  https://www2.tesu.edu/oapwl/client.php?c...-PARAMEDIC  The main issue looks like it's only good if you took the courses back before 2014.

If the license is more recent, then I think you're going to have to forget about the paramedic thing, or go somewhere where they will give you more credits for it (I think you said EC gave you 40+ credits).

Also at TESU, most of the credits are in HEA, which is only a free elective, unless you're going for the BSPS and can use them in the AOS (Specialized Area of Study).

The other option is to do PLA's for the courses that you think you can pass.  You might be able to get a lot of credit that way, although it's a lot more work.

Lots of people on this forum have come across this problem at TESU, where they just don't give any or enough credits for professional certs.  Most of the IT people head over to WGU because you can get much of the degree taken care of through certs that they may already have.  For someone with different certs, a different school might be a better option.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Ideas, Yenisei
(03-11-2018, 01:14 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: ...
The reason I ask is because I don't have a lot left to do outside of the capstone. So to put the last bit on pause and wait would be torture, especially if the gamble fails and they refuse to award more credits.

Danke. Heart

Don't put the capstone on hold unless you're considering changing schools. Even though it is "recommended" that you wait until the rest of the degree is done, there is no hard and fast rule that says you can't take the capstone early. The main thing is that you should have plenty of college level writing under your belt, which you almost certainly do. There's no reason not to go ahead with it while waiting to hear. If they don't grant you the paramedic credits, then you can get the missing ones done either while you're finishing the capstone or afterwards.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Yenisei
I’m also a NREMT-paramedic with several state paramedic licenses and when I called TESU to gain credit for my certification they stated that I needed to be NJ credentialed to get credit. Most paramedic programs are two years and 60 credits so it’s absurd that TESU doesn’t offer more for paramedics. Another odd aspect is that TESU will award credits for NREMT-basics but not paramedics. I ended up just taking a bunch of shmoops which only took a couple months to get 90 credits. At the end of the day, it only adds a couple extra weeks of shmoop or SL courses so I wouldn’t worry about it in the long run.

If you want to maximize your paramedic certification and gain a BS in emergency medicine then I’d check out the university of New Mexico which will give you around 50 credits for your paramedic certification. It will probably take a lot longer to finish that degree than it would be to just take a ton of shmoops or SL’s for TESU. My recommendation would be to sign up for the capstone as soon as possible and knock out a bunch of ACE credits fast. Like someone previously mentioned, if tesu even gives you credits they’ll likely only count as free elective anyway. You could knock out those free electives very cheap and easy with other options.
I think I've seen other members say what Paramedic12 has said, that TESU simply won't give more credits for the Paramedic (unless it's NJ). I think you could go through some kind of appeal/approval process, but that nobody has yet. I think it takes a while. I agree with Paramedic12 that you should just Shmoop a lot, or do some other quicker credits. I think CLEP/DSST/TECEP/UExcel/Saylor would be even faster than Shmoop/SL/etc, depending on what subjects you have already done and what others you already know.

UNM was my first option last year until I discovered the TESU route. UNM requires 30 credits through them, and 9 of your last 15 (I think). The degree path and everything looked great but they wouldn't take ACE credits, so this degree would take me years and I decided not to pursue it.

Getting a few of my general/free electives for free would have been nice, but I'm not counting or riding on it. I have my entire path planned out already to the last credit, so if they award me a few more it's just a savings of a bit of time and money.

I'm trying to find some cash so I can sign up for the capstone now.

Thanks everyone. Big Grin

4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
(03-12-2018, 05:44 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: UNM was my first option last year until I discovered the TESU route. UNM requires 30 credits through them, and 9 of your last 15 (I think). The degree path and everything looked great but they wouldn't take ACE credits, so this degree would take me years and I decided not to pursue it.

Getting a few of my general/free electives for free would have been nice, but I'm not counting or riding on it. I have my entire path planned out already to the last credit, so if they award me a few more it's just a savings of a bit of time and money.

Dumb question: why wouldn't you go with EC if they will give you more credits?  I think someone on here said 40+ credits for the Paramedic license through EC.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-12-2018, 09:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 05:44 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: UNM was my first option last year until I discovered the TESU route. UNM requires 30 credits through them, and 9 of your last 15 (I think). The degree path and everything looked great but they wouldn't take ACE credits, so this degree would take me years and I decided not to pursue it.

Dumb question: why wouldn't you go with EC if they will give you more credits?  I think someone on here said 40+ credits for the Paramedic license through EC.

Yea they gave me 47 which was a lot. The reality is with a BALS at TESU I am nearly done. I am familiar with their systems, I feel comfortable with my advisors, and I just signed up for the capstone. EC advisors failed to respond to inquiries., which left me feeling a bit alone on an island and uncomfortable with spending money with them.

4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
(03-12-2018, 11:21 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 09:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Yea they gave me 47 which was a lot. The reality is with a BALS at TESU I am nearly done. I am familiar with their systems, I feel comfortable with my advisors, and I just signed up for the capstone. EC advisors failed to respond to inquiries., which left me feeling a bit alone on an island and uncomfortable with spending money with them.

Wow, if you are having a problem with EC not responding, you are going to be unpleasantly surprised by TESU...which is notorious for responding, but with bad info.  Worse than no response if you ask me.

But I get it - it's a bummer to not get the credits, but it's always about what's left rather than what you got credit for.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  outlier increasing price in 7 days sialiblo 13 1,358 10-14-2022, 09:44 PM
Last Post: tuckerarabi786
  1 credit science lab in 10 days magflo 3 1,561 11-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  How much time should I be studying per day? 23 days until I take Biology CLEP exam fsarenas 13 5,516 06-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Tictac
  I have 6 days to complete two difficult CLEPs which I have not studied for beastcoast94 9 2,668 05-05-2016, 09:55 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  Two days before clep: Please list common mistakes; all replies welcomed jgbenjamin 4 1,063 04-19-2016, 08:12 AM
Last Post: NAP
  does learn spanish in 50 days prepare one for the upper level CLEP in spanish jgbenjamin 6 1,156 03-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Forgiven
  22 exams in 4 days walternc3 41 6,769 08-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Kajkulahi
  Have to take three CLEP exams within 10 days. I'm overwhelmed! beastcoast 23 2,638 04-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Is it possible to successfully study for a CLEP exam in 3/4 days? amiraliii 8 1,451 12-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Bibby
  Next four days - 3 DSSTs - Ethics in America, Business Ethics and Criminal Justice GoodYellowDogs 11 1,533 08-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs