Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upper Level Options for History, Ethics/Philosophy & Political Science
This could help those majoring in history at TESC or those who need another UL humanities course. Right now a history major at TESC will exhaust their options for testing out with just CLEP and DSST and will need at least 3 more UL credits to meet the requirements. Here's something I found via NCCRS that could help for only $200/course! The format is very similar to Straighterline and does use ProctorU, which I hate, but could still be a viable option for some:

The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies

Course Fees: $50/credit plus $50 for ProctorU exam (roughly $200/course total)

The History of Anti-Semitism in the United States (Jewish History 350)
Location: Jerusalem, Israel and other approved locations in the United States.
Length: Varies.
Dates: March 2012 – Present.
Objectives: Students will identify and explain the causes of anti-Semitism in the US from the Reconstruction era until the present; discuss significant anti-Semitic incidents and repercussions; identify and define various anti-Semitic movements and individuals; trace the growth of, and the obstacles leading to points of decline of, the Jewish influence in American politics; identify different political motivations for anti-Semitism and link their manifestations in the US with historical trends.
Instruction: Jewish History 350 is offered as a proficiency examination which includes an extensive study guide and required reading administered through The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies. Topics include: Post-Civil War United States, historical background of Jews' relationship with his state, anti-Semitic patterns from Europe.
Credit recommendation: In the upper division baccalaureate degree category, 3 semester hours in History or Political Science (3/12). NOTE: History 350 and PoliSci 350 are duplicative in content; credit should only be given for one.

Ethics of Communication I (Ethics 310/310 DL)
Location: Jerusalem, Israel and other approved locations in the United States
Length: Proficiency examination administered through The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies.
Dates: October 2010 – Present.
Objectives: Students will be able to: demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the ethical and moral issues involved in communication; identify and discuss the sources, underpinnings, and conclusions that dictate ethical communication in interpersonal relationships; use their theoretical knowledge to assess types of language and situations to determine appropriate ethical responses for all involved parties.
Instruction: The Ethics 310 examination and distance learning course explore the ethical, philosophical, and practical issues involved in interpersonal communications. Topics include: libel; slander; rebuke; innuendo; the Biblical sources for ethical communication; the problem of listening to disparaging speech; repercussions for unethical speech; speaking about others in the workplace; speaking in front of a person; speaking behind a person’s back; and other topics. The distance learning course is delivered through a series of 40 video lectures.
Credit recommendation: Note: For the proficiency examination: in the lower division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in Ethics or Philosophy (2/11) and for the distance learning course: in the upper division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in Ethics or Philosophy (2/11).

Ethics of Communication II (Ethics 320)
Length: Proficiency examination administered through The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies.
Dates: October 2010 – Present
Objectives: Students will be able to: demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the ethical and moral issues involved in communication; identify and discuss sources, conceptual underpinnings, and conclusions that dictate ethical communication in interpersonal relationships; use their theoretical knowledge to assess language and situations to determine the appropriate ethical response for all involved parties.
Instruction: The Ethics 320 examination is designed to assess students’ ability to express knowledge of ethical and philosophical issues involved in interpersonal communications. Topics include: gossip; white lies; libel; slander; rebuke; deprecating speech for positive purposes; quitting a job; and common situations.
Credit recommendation: In the lower division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in Ethics or Philosophy (2/11).

Principles of Moral Development I (Philosophy 310/310 DL)
Length: Proficiency examination and distance learning course administered through The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies.
Objectives: Students will be able to: express a comprehension of the Jewish principles related to the man’s duty in this world; describe various aspects of the virtues of vigilance, alacrity, and cleanliness; identify and discuss causes of their constraints and explain the method for acquiring them; clearly explain the philosophical concepts discussed and extrapolate and apply these ideas to other areas and reconstruct the proofs articulated in the text.
Instruction: The Philosophy 310 examination and 310 DL (distance learning) course examine problems facing mankind on an individual and collective level; discuss solutions offered by the Jewish system of moral development. Topics include: human nature; man’s potential; purpose of mankind; duty; individual and collective responsibility; theories and methods of moral development. The distance learning course will follow a series of 40 audio lectures.
Objectives: NOTE: For the proficiency examination: in the upper division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in Ethics or Philosophy (2/11) and for the distance learning course: in the upper division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in Ethics or Philosophy (2/11).

Principles of Moral Development II (Philosophy 320)
Objectives: Students will be able to: explain the Jewish principles related to abstinence, purity, piety, humility, fear of sin, and holiness; identify and discuss the causes of their constraints and formulate methods used for acquiring them; clearly explain the philosophical concepts of morality; extrapolate and apply these concepts to other areas; and reconstruct the proofs articulated in the texts.
Instruction: The Philosophy 320 examination will assess students’ ability to express in-depth knowledge of the Jewish philosophy of moral development. Topics include asceticism; pleasure; compassion; purity; piety; the holy man; and humility.
Objectives: In the upper division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in Ethics or Philosophy (2/11).

The Politics of Anti-Semitism in the United States (Political Science 350)
Length: Varies
Dates: March 2012 – Present.
Objectives: Students will identify and explain the causes of anti-Semitism in the US from the Reconstruction era until the present; discuss significant anti-Semitic incidents and repercussions; identify and define various anti-Semitic movements and individuals; trace the growth of, and the obstacles leading to points of decline of, the Jewish influence in American politics; identify different political motivations for anti-Semitism and link their manifestations in the US with historical trends.
Instruction: Political Science 350 is offered as a proficiency examination which includes an extensive study guide and required reading administered through The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies. Topics include: Post-Civil War United States, historical background of Jews' relationship with his state, anti-Semitic patterns from Europe.
Credit recommendation: In the upper division baccalaureate degree category, 3 semester hours in History or Political Science (3/12).

They also have courses that will satisfy any UL religion credits you need. You can find more about those on their website.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
Great find...gonna bookmark this one. The UL Ethics would kill two birdes with one stone in any concentration at COSC (Ethics and UL)
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Wow - this is great!
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

I've added this to the Degree Forum Wiki for future reference.

Sources of Credit - Degree Forum Wiki

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

That wiki is great.
Thanks IrishJohn. I like the anti-Semitism history course. We could all learn from that.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:That wiki is great.
Thanks IrishJohn. I like the anti-Semitism history course. We could all learn from that.

Agreed on both points. I wish DF Wiki and this forum had been available years ago but c'est la vie...
At least we can help those looking for info now. Smile

anyone know what courses these transfer in as at TESC?
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 2,611 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 300 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,865 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 1,103 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 237 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 552 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,364 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 628 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 702 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 491 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy