Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Layoffs
Toastmaster, you've been on these forums for 7 years, and have likely seen many former and current students discuss their WGU journeys.

I would take the entirety of their experiences, good and bad, into account, instead of focusing on unfortunate layoff news (that all sorts of organizations regularly go through) and a single troll with a chip on their shoulder.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • quigongene
(10-30-2021, 10:52 AM)jsd Wrote: Toastmaster, you've been on these forums for 7 years, and have likely seen many former and current students discuss their WGU journeys.

I would take the entirety of their experiences, good and bad, into account, instead of focusing on unfortunate layoff news (that all sorts of organizations regularly go through) and a single troll with a chip on their shoulder.
I hear you.  I really, really do.  I’m just scared right now because my OWN company is going through a merger, and this is the second merger that I have lived through.  They are not fun.  They are horrifying.  The irony is that my job is more secure and my networking is effective in that I am confident that I won’t be laid off.  You can never be 100 percent sure…but I am confident, not hopeful, CONFIDENT that I won’t be laid off.  My point is that even with feeling confident, I am scared out of my mind because I know what’s coming and what has already happened to others.  Mergers are stressful and traumatizing as you watch heads roll and people stab each other in the back to save their jobs.  I wasn’t let go at my last merger either, but the social terrifying aspect I never forgot.  I say all this to say, that I am very “sensitive” to abrupt business moves like this, and in my own personal experience with watching heads roll all around me, when I read this thread end to end, I was not enthused….at all.

(10-30-2021, 06:15 AM)collegechick Wrote:
(10-30-2021, 02:57 AM)Toastmaster Wrote: This is a VERY interesting thread…I was considering WGU for my MBA….I don’t  want to go to a place that doesn’t at least pass the smell test of “not scam”.  Are there any updates on this situation?
I just completed the MSML program and can guarantee this place is NOT a diploma mill or a scam. I had many assignments returned to me for revisions before  I could pass. There were several tests that were difficult to pass on which required several attempts.

Highly recommend this school. Love their competency- self-paced format and regional accreditation. Teachers, mentor, student services, and IT always resolved any issue or answered my question quickly. 

I also read this thread just as I was about to start. Glad I did not listen and asked questions directly to the school.  Anymore questions I'm happy to answer.
Thank you!  Appreciate you!!!
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
@Toasty, I would ride it out like you did with your company mergers like you did before. All schools, well not all, but many schools large and small will come across hiccups such as these, be it TESU/WGU or what have you. WGU is RA and has programmatic/secondary accreditation from multiple agencies, it's not the "best" school out there, but they are pretty well known in some circles and endorsed by several states... I know they're a great school for most, but not all...

You will always have people who are unhappy with "something" a school has to offer, even though these schools have gone through rigorous accreditation and quality checks... For other things such as some deals I see on slickdeals.net, people will "downvote/dislike" a post even for cheap stuff, just cuz they could not get it as there is "no stock" at their local Walmart for example. I mean, it's a deal for most... but you still get the oddball who dislikes a post as it doesn't apply to them...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-31-2021, 02:51 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @Toasty, I would ride it out like you did with your company mergers like you did before.  All schools, well not all, but many schools large and small will come across hiccups such as these, be it TESU/WGU or what have you.  WGU is RA and has programmatic/secondary accreditation from multiple agencies, it's not the "best" school out there, but they are pretty well known in some circles and endorsed by several states...  I know they're a great school for most, but not all...

You will always have people who are unhappy with "something" a school has to offer, even though these schools have gone through rigorous accreditation and quality checks... For other things such as some deals I see on slickdeals.net, people will "downvote/dislike" a post even for cheap stuff, just cuz they could not get it as there is "no stock" at their local Walmart for example.  I mean, it's a deal for most... but you still get the oddball who dislikes a post as it doesn't apply to them...

That was a really dope comparison, I LOVE slickdeals hahaha!  In fact, I'm taking advantage of the November 5th "Black Friday" Walmart Goodyear tire sale that I just saw last night there LOL!

I get your point though.  This thread was just traumatizing and brought up negative memories.  The last company that I worked at, ultimately failed and the company went out of business....all those people stabbed each other in the back for nothing.  I saw the lowest of the low in human behavior.  This time, I am confident, not hopeful, CONFIDENT that this merger won't fail....but heads are rolling already.  Would you happen to know if WGU's financials are public?  For example, their endowment, operating expenses, etc?  Perhaps I'll look into this later when I have more time. (I have to get out for early voting today in my area).  I admit...hiring a CFO and President that do not come from academia does not bode well...they are clearly heading into the direction of "For Profit" schools with those moves, and I personally associate For Profit with "scams".  That does not mean you can't get a quality education from a For Profit...I just look at the quality of some of their graduates (in general) and think "scam".  Again, that is a personal bias, and not related to the facts, so please bear that in mind.  Thanks bjcheung77!  You're posts are always great!
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
(10-30-2021, 02:57 AM)Toastmaster Wrote: This is a VERY interesting thread…I was considering WGU for my MBA….I don’t  want to go to a place that doesn’t at least pass the smell test of “not scam”.  Are there any updates on this situation?

I passed the MS-CSIA degree earlier this year and I was able to get accepted into a PhD program using the credentials I earned from WGU. If WGU was a scam, not only would their alumni be able to move on to higher level programs, but WGU would eventually be in danger of losing its regional and program-level accreditations. A WGU MBA may not be as prestigious as one from Harvard, but it's still quite legitimate from a mid-tier school. The only reason I wouldn't recommend WGU is if you are planning on going to a DBA program that insists on your MBA having an AACSB program accreditation since WGU's MBA is endorsed by the ACBSP.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamshid666's post:
  • bluebooger

You start calling WGU a scam you're going to lose all credibility regardless of how long you've been on this forum.

You'll be in the same camp as the flat-earthers, moon landing deniers, etc.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • jamshid666
(11-30-2021, 02:54 PM)jamshid666 Wrote:

I passed the MS-CSIA degree earlier this year and I was able to get accepted into a PhD program using the credentials I earned from WGU. If WGU was a scam, not only would their alumni be able to move on to higher level programs, but WGU would eventually be in danger of losing its regional and program-level accreditations. A WGU MBA may not be as prestigious as one from Harvard, but it's still quite legitimate from a mid-tier school. The only reason I wouldn't recommend WGU is if you are planning on going to a DBA program that insists on your MBA having an AACSB program accreditation since WGU's MBA is endorsed by the ACBSP.

yeah, all anyone has to do it spend 5 minutes on WGU's reddit to see whether or not its a scam and if students are happy with it  
spoiler: students are generally happy
[-] The following 2 users Like bluebooger's post:
  • jamshid666, NoStudentNoCry
As someone with a MBA from a "top tier" school, I had no problem going to WGU to earn my MSCSIA. I found the school to be very through in their course structure and the amount of certifications included in the curriculum is an amazing deal. You can beast through the entire degree in one term, but that is not normal. Don't believe the hype on Reddit.

It took me 11 months to complete the degree, with about 4-6 hours a week of effort. My co-worker started at the same time and completed the entire MSCSIA in 3.5 months!!!
DBA Organization Leadership - South - Expected April 2024
BA Political Science and History - UMPI - 2022
MS Cybersecurity & Information Assurance - WGU - 2021
BS Computer Science - Park U - 2018
MBA Public Administration - CSU - 2016
BS Management - Park U - 2010
AAS Communications Technology - CCAF - 2008

CEH/CHFI/SEC+/NET+/Proj+/CISSP
[-] The following 1 user Likes kidneysmasher's post:
  • katsiki
Unless one knows something about a school that their state licensing agency and their accreditors don't know -- in which case one should say what it is -- suggesting that school isn't legitimate isn't very honest.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com