Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WGU MBA Online Advice Compilation
I had to wait several years for my youngest to start kindergarten to be able to start the WGU MBA. In the meantime, I did a lot of online research. I copied and pasted the most helpful information I found into a document. Everyone here has been a big help to me on my educational journey, so I thought I'd return the favor and share the document. 

This is not my advice, but rather things I copied that people posted in various places online. Here you go:

Online WGU MBA Advice Compilation
[-] The following 3 users Like amilitab4k9's post:
  • eriehiker, GoodYellowDogs, Jdesign
(10-17-2018, 10:21 PM)amilitab4k9 Wrote: I had to wait several years for my youngest to start kindergarten to be able to start the WGU MBA. In the meantime, I did a lot of online research. I copied and pasted the most helpful information I found into a document. Everyone here has been a big help to me on my educational journey, so I thought I'd return the favor and share the document. 

This is not my advice, but rather things I copied that people posted in various places online. Here you go:

Online WGU MBA Advice Compilation

Excellent, thanks!
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Eh.. its a nice compilation, but everyone's opinion will vary.

I found Managing Human Capital to be laughably easy (however my BSBA minor was HR). I took the OA (final test) on my very first day of class 30 minutes after taking my pre-assessment (which I took cold) and passed.

Managing People and Leading Organizations was two very easy papers that took a few hours each. Never opened the course reading.

'Marketing paper was very easy. Hardest part was coming up with an idea, but it could be anything. It didn't have to be a new product, just one your company doesn't offer currently. Your company can be fictional. So there is thousands of things you can use. For instance, a movie theater chain that currently doesn't offer 3D or Imax. So, your new product is 3D and Imax. An ice cream shoppe that does not deliver and doesn't offer frozen yogurt (and now you're adding it). Simple. Took me 3 hours to write.

For me hardest classes were Economics, Accounting, and Financial Management. Mostly because I prefer writing papers more than memorization.

Data Driven Decision Making had the easiest two tasks of the entire program. Both tasks were completed within one hour.

My biggest advice on the Capsim... Do the practice rounds over and over until you score well on each round. Do all rounds (all the way to 8, even though you only have to do 4). Once you start your competition rounds, a light bulb will go off, and you will thank me. I was given the same advice, followed it, and my team completed the entire competition round in 1 hour.

I finished all 10 classes (all but Capstone) in 2.5 months. Capsim with pre-work, team formation, task 1 and 2 took 1 month (team was not fast). Still working on my Capstone Business Paper and Video Presentation. I have over 2 months left in my term, so I'm not stressing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes amyrogers's post:
  • evanmonast
(10-27-2018, 08:07 PM)amyrogers Wrote: Eh.. its a nice compilation, but everyone's opinion will vary.

I found Managing Human Capital to be laughably easy (however my BSBA minor was HR). I took the OA (final test) on my very first day of class 30 minutes after taking my pre-assessment (which I took cold) and passed.

Managing People and Leading Organizations was two very easy papers that took a few hours each. Never opened the course reading.

'Marketing paper was very easy. Hardest part was coming up with an idea, but it could be anything. It didn't have to be a new product, just one your company doesn't offer currently. Your company can be fictional. So there is thousands of things you can use. For instance, a movie theater chain that currently doesn't offer 3D or Imax. So, your new product is 3D and Imax. An ice cream shoppe that does not deliver and doesn't offer frozen yogurt (and now you're adding it). Simple. Took me 3 hours to write.

For me hardest classes were Economics, Accounting, and Financial Management. Mostly because I prefer writing papers more than memorization.

Data Driven Decision Making had the easiest two tasks of the entire program. Both tasks were completed within one hour.

My biggest advice on the Capsim... Do the practice rounds over and over until you score well on each round.  Do all rounds (all the way to 8, even though you only have to do 4). Once you start your competition rounds, a light bulb will go off, and you will thank me. I was given the same advice, followed it, and my team completed the entire competition round in 1 hour.

I finished all 10 classes (all but Capstone) in 2.5 months. Capsim with pre-work, team formation, task 1 and 2 took 1 month (team was not fast). Still working on my Capstone Business Paper and Video Presentation. I have over 2 months left in my term, so I'm not stressing.

I only started October 15, but my experience so far has been more like yours. The hardest thing has been thinking of a product for the marketing paper. Once I decided on one, I sat down and had the whole paper written in 5 hours. I also easily passed the pre-assessment for Human Capital cold and am just waiting for my term to officially start to take the test and turn in the papers I have completed. I've spent less than 8 hours on communications and all I have to do is record my presentation.

From what I've seen, we are not normal. I was glad to have read through others' comments prior to beginning because it gives me more faith in the program. If I thought it was this easy for everyone I would think it was a joke, but I realize that I am the joke, not the program. (I know of a guy who took 2 years off of work to do the WGU MBA. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what he actually did all that time.)

I will make sure to add your comments to the document and thank you for the Capsim advice. I have a feeling in a couple of months I will be very grateful for it.
(10-27-2018, 08:07 PM)amyrogers Wrote: Eh.. its a nice compilation, but everyone's opinion will vary.

My biggest advice on the Capsim... Do the practice rounds over and over until you score well on each round.  Do all rounds (all the way to 8, even though you only have to do 4). Once you start your competition rounds, a light bulb will go off, and you will thank me. I was given the same advice, followed it, and my team completed the entire competition round in 1 hour.

Seems like I'm having a similar experience to yours.  I started the MBA IT Management program on September 1st and am working on my 8th course.  I expect to have all but the capstone course completed in under 3 months.  Much faster than I originally expected.  So far Financial Management has been the most difficult course for me.  But, I didn't think Accounting was bad.  

I'm happy to hear that Data Driven Decision Making is an easy one... that's my next course.  Thanks for the Capsim advice.  Any other advice you have would be appreciated.  Helps to hear from someone who has recently completed the program.
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 311 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 320 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 496 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 269 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,345 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 496 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  MAOL Advice - UMPI/Brandman ashkir 13 2,262 02-26-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: KSoul
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,018 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  German University of Digital Science (100% online, non-profit) Voldigoad 11 1,658 02-15-2024, 04:44 PM
  MIT University just released free online courses. KSoul 0 424 02-14-2024, 04:33 AM
Last Post: KSoul