Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MBA - Pregame?
Is there any opportunity to pregame the course before taking them?  Say, six week before the start of the semester and you already have access to the material to completevand what not.   Kind of how like Davar used to leave the course material open to anyone....and you cam complete assignments at lesuire.
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
With the July one changes, I don’t think that’s possible anymore. They do not let you preview prior to your semester and only allowed one class at a time. I do think they will allow you to take the objective assessment now without course mentor approval.
(06-22-2019, 06:23 AM)Toastmaster Wrote: Is there any opportunity to pregame the course before taking them?  Say, six week before the start of the semester and you already have access to the material to completevand what not.   Kind of how like Davar used to leave the course material open to anyone....and you cam complete assignments at lesuire.

You can find the course of study information using google searches and then order the books ahead of time to start working ahead of your start date, but you cannot get access to the online materials via WGU directly without being an active student (started the term) and having the course activated in your degree program.

(06-22-2019, 06:42 AM)jb111 Wrote: With the July one changes, I don’t think that’s possible anymore. They do not let you preview prior to your semester and only allowed one class at a time. I do think they will allow you to take the objective assessment now without course mentor approval.

Well, as of July 1st, students will still be able to preview courses in their degree plan, but it will work differently. Unless you've registered for the course in the current term and it has been activated, you won't have full access. They will have a preview mode but that won't allow you to access any licensed resources (which includes textbooks and other instructional aids). You'll still be able to access material that is hosted by WGU but that is all until you actually activate the course.

You'll only be able to have one course active at a time, but they are removing the restriction on when you can sign up for courses. It used to be that you couldn't register for a course in the term unless you had at least a month left in the term (two months for the capstone), but that requirement is going away. They are also making it so after you've completed the courses needed to meet on time progress additional courses you accelerate into the term are eligible for an automatic 30-day extension if you don't complete the current course by the end of the term.

Yeah, you'll be able to activate the first OA on your own as soon as you pass the pre-assessment for that course rather than have to wait for your program mentor to do it for you. You can also retake pre-assessments as often as you like now. Any OA retakes will still require an instructor to unlock though.

There are other changes going in as well, but those are the key ones. Most of them are good. Losing access to courses you haven't activated yet is a bit of a bummer but I can see why they are doing that. As long as your course mentor is on the ball that won't be a big deal though.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • quigongene, Toastmaster
Since I'm going for the MS-ITM in January, I've made it a goal to get the CAPM and the CPTC before enrolling, to have 2 classes down before I start:

https://partners.wgu.edu/TransferGuideli...gement.pdf

The MBA, however, doesn't seem to have anything like this.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 2 users Like quigongene's post:
  • Life_One, Toastmaster
(06-22-2019, 06:23 AM)Toastmaster Wrote: Is there any opportunity to pregame the course before taking them?  Say, six week before the start of the semester and you already have access to the material to completevand what not.   Kind of how like Davar used to leave the course material open to anyone....and you cam complete assignments at lesuire.

It might also be smart to make sure that you're ahead of the game even without course materials by studying the course ahead of time using your own materials.  You can easily study for almost everything using outside resources, so it would all go much faster as soon as you started.  Obviously you can't write papers ahead of time, but you definitely study ahead of time.

If I was going to get my MBA (for instance), I'd certainly brush up on all of the BSBA core courses, since it's been MANY years since I've taken some.  And for things like Stats, I'd probably take a course for free, even though I passed a course, because it's been a while, and because I don't think I'm strong in that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Toastmaster
Thank you everyone for your help!
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]