Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MBA in 57 days - NOT ME!
How many courses are OA vs PA for WGU’s MBA?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
That's AMAZING, but I'd be cautious. We all know that WGU is a quality school, but I'm not sure I'd want a future employer knowing that I got an MBA that can be had in 57 days. Perhaps it's just me, but I feel like I took a (very worthwhile) chance on the undergrad, but make up for any employer doubt with my very solid MBA. I'd be scared to have a reduced-time undergrad AND grad degree.... or at the very least, wouldn't want both to be from schools that are famous for shortcuts... even if we all know that the "shortcuts" are the most intelligent way to get the degree!

Since I've been interviewing for jobs over the past month or so, and have been heavily questioned about education, this topic has been on my mind. There were no issues, but could have been if I had not already thought out concise and intelligent responses to the COSC question. One interviewer was old-school and didn't like the distance-learning concept, so my assurance that the reason I chose COSC was because I already had a considerable amount of B&M credits that I would lose by transferring to a local school. But then instant switch over to my MBA got rid of any doubt and the interview moved on without a hitch.

Anyhow, didn't mean to get off topic. Just wanted to throw in a word about WGU and hoping that there is no reputation for finishing too quickly. It would be really bad for a LOT of people, and not to mention that WGU themselves would have to put some artificial measures in place to keep the 57-day graduation from happening. Yikes!

P.S. I don't think that most hiring managers get too into detail over education, but the company I am considering working with is a major academic entity, so they're a bit pickier than most.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 3 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • greencouch, High_Order1, ss20ts
(08-30-2018, 03:48 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: That's AMAZING, but I'd be cautious. We all know that WGU is a quality school, but I'm not sure I'd want a future employer knowing that I got an MBA that can be had in 57 days. Perhaps it's just me, but I feel like I took a (very worthwhile) chance on the undergrad, but make up for any employer doubt with my very solid MBA. I'd be scared to have a reduced-time undergrad AND grad degree.... or at the very least, wouldn't want both to be from schools that are famous for shortcuts... even if we all know that the "shortcuts" are the most intelligent way to get the degree!

Since I've been interviewing for jobs over the past month or so, and have been heavily questioned about education, this topic has been on my mind. There were no issues, but could have been if I had not already thought out concise and intelligent responses to the COSC question. One interviewer was old-school and didn't like the distance-learning concept, so my assurance that the reason I chose COSC was because I already had a considerable amount of B&M credits that I would lose by transferring to a local school. But then instant switch over to my MBA got rid of any doubt and the interview moved on without a hitch.

Anyhow, didn't mean to get off topic. Just wanted to throw in a word about WGU and hoping that there is no reputation for finishing too quickly. It would be really bad for a LOT of people, and not to mention that WGU themselves would have to put some artificial measures in place to keep the 57-day graduation from happening. Yikes!

P.S. I don't think that most hiring managers get too into detail over education, but the company I am considering working with is a major academic entity, so they're a bit pickier than most.

I agree. Her employer isn't going to be in that group but the bigger issue is for someone who goes directly from their bachelors to their masters.
If your resume says:
BA in whatever, WGU May 2018
MBA, WGU September 2018

Then it's going to look bad. Even worse if you're 20.
I should have my MBA done in under 4 months with WGU but I got my bachelors in 2009 and I wouldn't tell an employer it only took me that long.
[-] The following 3 users Like noswttea4u's post:
  • burbuja0512, Muldoon, ss20ts
You don’t need to include those dates in your resume (and people who obtained their degrees ages ago often leave them off as to not tip off their ages). And in most fields it should incredibly unlikely that you’ll be asked to provide a transcript.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • burbuja0512, davewill
As someone who has hired people for the last 35 years, I would be delighted to have someone who finished that fast. It would show me:

1. Ability to focus
2. Ability to set and finish goals
3. Ability to grasp key concepts and apply them
4. Willingness to set and attain stretch goals, not just easy goals.
5. Drive
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

[-] The following 4 users Like GoodYellowDogs's post:
  • dfrecore, Ideas, jsd, ss20ts
(09-11-2018, 03:11 PM)GoodYellowDogs Wrote: As someone who has hired people for the last 35 years, I would be delighted to have someone who finished that fast.   It would show me:

1.  Ability to focus
2.  Ability to set and finish goals
3.  Ability to grasp key concepts and apply them
4.  Willingness to set and attain stretch goals, not just easy goals.
5.  Drive

Good point!  I get so hung up in the worst-case scenario that I forget there are people out there who do appreciate shaving time off of school.

IMHO, it might be better to bring up the time as a conversation in the interview when highlighting accomplishments.  This way you will avoid writing dates on your resume and also will allow you to "feel out" the interviewer and decide whether it's appropriate.

I don't know if it's bad luck or because I'm in a male-dominated field that looks for reasons not to hire women, but I'm literally the only hiring manager I know who would appreciate this accomplishment.  So highlighting education savvy in an interview would allow you to overcome objections and generally play it safer.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
It's pretty typical to not have dates on resume for education (unless there is very little work experience). I do not include it on mine except for items that are currently in progress (with an expected date). When hired, I was required provide proof of graduation (degree or transcript), but the screener was more focused on did I graduate than "when did I graduate".
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
[-] The following 1 user Likes mednat's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
I'll be done tomorrow with everything except the capstone. Started on 9/1, so 26 days to complete those classes.
I can't start the Capsim until October 4th unfortunately - earliest date available.
[-] The following 3 users Like noswttea4u's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs, Muldoon, quigongene
(09-25-2018, 11:24 AM)noswttea4u Wrote: I'll be done tomorrow with everything except the capstone. Started on 9/1, so 26 days to complete those classes.
I can't start the Capsim until October 4th unfortunately - earliest date available.

Amazing!
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

(09-25-2018, 11:24 AM)noswttea4u Wrote: I'll be done tomorrow with everything except the capstone. Started on 9/1, so 26 days to complete those classes.

Nice! Which specific degree/area of study are you working on, and any tips to share in terms of how you were able to get through the courses quickly? I'm planning to enroll as soon as my degree is confirmed and am hoping to get through everything within a single term, and hopefully much faster.

Then again, I'm also debating between MBA in IT Management, MS in IT Management, and MS Management & Leadership. So the choice of degree may change the approach.

If I can get through WGU quickly I may also consider the Georgia Tech MS in Computer Science as well. I'm waiting to see how the others do with getting into that program given we don't know how non-traditional degrees affect acceptance.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs