Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MBA in 57 days - NOT ME!
Just an update. I have completed and passed everything, except for Task 2 of the Capstone class. We are completing it as a team with a deadline of Wednesday so I should be done with everything this week! So assuming grading is back on Saturday, it would have taken me 71 days to complete. Not 57 like this person. Sad
My Task 4 ended up being 31 pages. Task 5 was 21 slides and 11 minutes.
We finished Capsim in the 99th percentile - it is super easy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes noswttea4u's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(11-05-2018, 04:03 PM)noswttea4u Wrote: Just an update. I have completed and passed everything, except for Task 2 of the Capstone class. We are completing it as a team with a deadline of Wednesday so I should be done with everything this week! So assuming grading is back on Saturday, it would have taken me 71 days to complete. Not 57 like this person. Sad

Congrats! I hope to emulate your example shortly. I'm still debating between the MBA and MSML (perhaps both in turn), but I'm planning to start the ball rolling with WGU as soon as I've completed my capstone. I'll submit an application to the GA Tech OMSCS program to see if I am accepted there as well, but even if I am, I'd probably defer until after I complete a masters at WGU first.

Have you decided whether or not you'll come back or the MSML next? I'm thinking that I might start there either way. The MBA is a more recognized business degree, but I think the MSML is more suitable to my interests. Plus I really don't feel like taking more accounting, economics, or financial management courses for a while. I think the Data-Driven Decision Making course is basically a statistics course, which also doesn't fall high on my list of things to do, but I believe that one is required for either path. Smile

I know you have an economics background so your experience will likely be very different than mine, but which MBA courses do you feel were the most challenging in your experience?
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(11-05-2018, 04:03 PM)noswttea4u Wrote: Just an update. I have completed and passed everything, except for Task 2 of the Capstone class. We are completing it as a team with a deadline of Wednesday so I should be done with everything this week! So assuming grading is back on Saturday, it would have taken me 71 days to complete. Not 57 like this person. Sad
Congrats!   71 days is impressive!  

I'm a little behind you , but I'm hoping to complete the MBA IT Management in one term.  Started in September and have 2 classes remaining before the capstone.  I expect to have those done by the end of the month.  

Can I ask, do you feel like you learned much?  Or did you come in with a solid business background?  For me, I feel like I have learned a lot more than I would have expected going at this pace.  It's been a great experience.
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kima's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(11-05-2018, 04:26 PM)Merlin Wrote:

Congrats! I hope to emulate your example shortly. I'm still debating between the MBA and MSML (perhaps both in turn), but I'm planning to start the ball rolling with WGU as soon as I've completed my capstone. I'll submit an application to the GA Tech OMSCS program to see if I am accepted there as well, but even if I am, I'd probably defer until after I complete a masters at WGU first.

Have you decided whether or not you'll come back or the MSML next? I'm thinking that I might start there either way. The MBA is a more recognized business degree, but I think the MSML is more suitable to my interests. Plus I really don't feel like taking more accounting, economics, or financial management courses for a while. I think the Data-Driven Decision Making course is basically a statistics course, which also doesn't fall high on my list of things to do, but I believe that one is required for either path. Smile

I know you have an economics background so your experience will likely be very different than mine, but which MBA courses do you feel were the most challenging in your experience?

So I ended up passing my last task on Wednesday so it was 68 days. Smile

I can't decide what to do next. I feel like a second masters is a waste; although I may still do it just to say I did. I'm leaning towards getting a Ph.D. at this point, but I don't know if I want to do the University of the Cumberlands or just try to go to GA Tech or GA State locally and get a free Ph.D. I work from home and I may be able to keep my job and do the local full-time Ph.D. also. I wouldn't mind going back to WGU as a mentor.

Data-Driven Decision Making and Financial Management more probably the most difficult for me. DDDM is probably the most useful going forward for a Ph.D. though.

(11-06-2018, 08:58 AM)Kima Wrote:
Congrats!   71 days is impressive!  

I'm a little behind you , but I'm hoping to complete the MBA IT Management in one term.  Started in September and have 2 classes remaining before the capstone.  I expect to have those done by the end of the month.  

Can I ask, do you feel like you learned much?  Or did you come in with a solid business background?  For me, I feel like I have learned a lot more than I would have expected going at this pace.  It's been a great experience.

Good job! The capstone doesn't necessarily take the 8 weeks they tell you it does but depends on your pace obviously.

As far as learning; the answer is honestly no. This checks a box for me more than anything. My background is in HR & Talent Acquisition so that helped some, particularly with Human Capital, but it didn't give me a huge leg up so to speak.
(08-27-2018, 06:39 PM)GoodYellowDogs Wrote: Just saw a posting on the WGU MBA FB page that she is in her capstone and will have finished her MBA in 57 days.   Started on July 1st, had all 10 courses finished by July 29th.  Started the capstone on 8/1, final grades will post August 31st.  Pretty amazing.

My term started November 1 (though I started working on the courses October 15) and I just submitted the last assignment for my non-Capstone courses today. I'm signed up for the Capsim starting December 2, so we will see what kind of group I have and how long it takes. This is how long each course took me:

C200 Managing Organizations & Leading People- 13 hours over 4 days
C202 Managing Human Capital- 2 hours over 1 day
C204 Management Communication- 9 hours over 3 days
C212 Marketing- 6 hours over 2 days
C213 Accounting for Decision Makers- 6 hours over 2 days
C206 Ethical Leadership- 10 hours over 3 days
C214 Financial Management- 7 hours over 2 days
C207 Data-Driven Decision Making- 6 hours over 3 days
C215 Operations Management- 5 hours over 2 days
C211 Global Economics for Managers- 4 hours over 2 days
[-] The following 1 user Likes amilitab4k9's post:
  • Muldoon
(11-15-2018, 02:35 AM)amilitab4k9 Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 06:39 PM)GoodYellowDogs Wrote: Just saw a posting on the WGU MBA FB page that she is in her capstone and will have finished her MBA in 57 days.   Started on July 1st, had all 10 courses finished by July 29th.  Started the capstone on 8/1, final grades will post August 31st.  Pretty amazing.

My term started November 1 (though I started working on the courses October 15) and I just submitted the last assignment for my non-Capstone courses today. I'm signed up for the Capsim starting December 2, so we will see what kind of group I have and how long it takes. This is how long each course took me:

Wow... very impressive. Any tips for getting through the material quickly for those who may follow in your footsteps?
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(11-15-2018, 03:03 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 02:35 AM)amilitab4k9 Wrote:

Wow... very impressive. Any tips for getting through the material quickly for those who may follow in your footsteps?

For writing papers, take the instructions they give and create an outline with the exact same format. Their point A is a Heading 1, their point A1 is a Heading 2. Title your headings the same as they do their points. Then, just go in and fill in the sections. Don't worry about writing a beautiful paper that flows seamlessly. Write one section at a time and only at the end go back through and make sure it makes sense. Make it very clear to the grader that you are fulfilling the requirements, even by using the same vocabulary. Ex. "You can mitigate this by..." 

Don't stress about having things returned. Think of it as receiving clarification, not failing a paper. Do your edits in red and let the grader know (in the comments and top of paper) that they only need to read the red part. Go for simplicity and clarity.

For the tests, I took all of the pre-tests cold and then studied my weakest areas. I also went through the pre-test and googled anything I didn't know, even if it wasn't the right answer. Vocabulary and glossaries are a great place to study if you understand the basic concepts. I didn't usually redo the pre-test because it doesn't change and I would remember the previous answers so I didn't feel it was a good measure of my learning.

It really helped to have large chunks of time when I could focus and get a lot done. I'm sure it would take longer if you're going back and forth between a subject and real life having to "get back into it" each time.
[-] The following 4 users Like amilitab4k9's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs, Johmford, Merlin, Muldoon
What's the cost of the MBA at WGU if you finish it in 57-71 days?
(12-05-2018, 01:35 PM)elbebopkid Wrote: What's the cost of the MBA at WGU if you finish it in 57-71 days?

$4k