Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MS Accounting anyone have any experience with this program?
Hello,

IM pushing to finish my BSBA from TESU by the end of the year. I was browsing through WGU's website and noticed that they have a MS in Accounting Program, that I am greatly considering attending. Has anyone gone through this course? Any feedback?
One thing I know about it is that their policy states that you must have a bachelor’s degree in accounting to be admitted.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
I concur. I actually asked them about it. I was told that I need a Bachelor's in Accounting. I even tried to argue that I took multiple accounting classes for my BSBA and I even have the Accounting certificate from TESU, I was still told that it was a NO GO. If they give you a different answer let me know as I felt the enrollment counsel didn't even look into the possibility of a waiver to the accounting program if I could demonstrate sufficient accounting coursework.
I wonder if they will accept a BSBA with a concentration in accounting. A lot of people who go into accounting did not major in accounting; they have concentrations in accounting.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
johnjaxs Wrote:I concur. I actually asked them about it. I was told that I need a Bachelor's in Accounting. I even tried to argue that I took multiple accounting classes for my BSBA and I even have the Accounting certificate from TESU, I was still told that it was a NO GO. If they give you a different answer let me know as I felt the enrollment counsel didn't even look into the possibility of a waiver to the accounting program if I could demonstrate sufficient accounting coursework.

Do you have a BSBA in General Management, or a BSBA in Accounting? I'm wondering if that would make a difference.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Have you tried speaking with another enrollment analyst on the advising team in regards to the BSBA Accounting being an option?
If one of their agents/analysts makes a mistake, the senior or another analyst maybe able to assist you further in answering that.
I would give them another call or email just to be on the safe side, giving it another go won't take up too much of your time.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
dfrecore Wrote:Do you have a BSBA in General Management, or a BSBA in Accounting? I'm wondering if that would make a difference.

BSBA Gen Management, TESU Accounting Certificate, TESU Marketing Certificate and Patten MBA Gen Management. I was still told it was a No-Go, although I felt the counselor was dead set on selling me on a different program. He never took no for answer to the other program (BS IT) and kept redirecting me to it, in the end I felt annoyed and just hanged up on him.

It was weird because in my experience most Master's will take you as along as you make up some lower level coursework, if required. So I don't really believe that he actually tried to get me into the MS Accounting program.

So if the OP gets a different answer please post it here. I was looking at the MS Accounting to potentially one day become CPA Certified.
johnjaxs Wrote:BSBA Gen Management, TESU Accounting Certificate, TESU Marketing Certificate and Patten MBA Gen Management. I was still told it was a No-Go, although I felt the counselor was dead set on selling me on a different program. He never took no for answer to the other program (BS IT) and kept redirecting me to it, in the end I felt annoyed and just hanged up on him.

It was weird because in my experience most Master's will take you as along as you make up some lower level coursework, if required. So I don't really believe that he actually tried to get me into the MS Accounting program.

So if the OP gets a different answer please post it here. I was looking at the MS Accounting to potentially one day become CPA Certified.

If you have the Accounting Certificate, then why would you get the BSBA in General Management instead of Accounting? I think this is a mistake if your ultimate goal is to be a CPA - AND, you already have the courses for that AOS. Why would you go take additional courses when you don't need to?

This seems to be a case of "Begin with the end in mind", and for some reason you've got an end in mind but aren't taking the steps to get there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The accounting certificate is easier to complete than the BSBA in Accounting. It is understandable if WGU will not accept the accounting certificate as the equivalent of an accounting degree because it only requires 18 accounting credits, six of the credits are financial and managerial accounting, six of the credits are intermediate accounting, and only six of the credits are UL accounting courses. On the other hand, the BSBA in Accounting requires 18 accounting credits in addition to the six accounting credits that have to be taken in the core for a total of 24 accounting credits. Also, 12 of the accounting credits have to be UL.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
dfrecore Wrote:If you have the Accounting Certificate, then why would you get the BSBA in General Management instead of Accounting? I think this is a mistake if your ultimate goal is to be a CPA - AND, you already have the courses for that AOS. Why would you go take additional courses when you don't need to?

This seems to be a case of "Begin with the end in mind", and for some reason you've got an end in mind but aren't taking the steps to get there.

Never said it was my ultimate goal, only a potential outcome I was looking at. Also I got the BSBA before I went for the Accounting Certificate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NYU SPS Guaranteed Admission Program smartdegree 6 501 04-07-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 602 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  I am looking for a budget online MBA program ranked among the top 50 in USA shrekr 51 15,880 01-15-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,402 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,744 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Sacramento State launches accelerated, fully online iMBA program LevelUP 7 1,244 09-04-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: datby98
Question Saylor starting an MBA program?! jch 40 4,493 09-04-2023, 12:03 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,297 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  DTSC-660 at Eastern University (MS in Data Science program) AwardTour 3 1,776 05-25-2023, 04:17 PM
Last Post: AnonStudent
  JWMI MBA Program - My experience so far Vle045 15 2,785 05-15-2023, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Vle045