Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU - MS IT Management or MBA Information Technology
mednat Wrote:The MS IT Masters and MBA IT Management are two very different degrees. The IT Masters focuses more on the technical side, whereas the IT Management is an MBA with mostly business coursework. Without knowing your specific situation, I would say unless you are managing highly technical consultants, I would (and did) choose the MBA for a mid-career manager in IT.

Mednat, thanks for your insight and I actually agree i have come to that conclusion as well. The MBA path seems to be my better path to take at this point in my career. I was looking for speed of the degree but the MBA path just makes more practical sense. From everything i am reading (and also from your comments) it sounds like WGU has a nice program that would be affordable and well done. My other choice would probably be Patton but something doesnt seem right about that one...I have no clue why i feel that way, so I dont mean to offend anyone by that comment.

thx all
jlearn25 Wrote:Mednat, thanks for your insight and I actually agree i have come to that conclusion as well. The MBA path seems to be my better path to take at this point in my career. I was looking for speed of the degree but the MBA path just makes more practical sense. From everything i am reading (and also from your comments) it sounds like WGU has a nice program that would be affordable and well done. My other choice would probably be Patton but something doesnt seem right about that one...I have no clue why i feel that way, so I dont mean to offend anyone by that comment.

thx all

I'm currently attending Patten for another undergrad degree. I like the program, but i don't feel it is not setup to be completed as quickly as WGU. You have the option of challenging courses, but when I know a grade will be generated, I always do the extra work, so it ends up taking quite a bit longer.

I would recommend both schools for the programs I've seen, however I'd give WGU a + for speed and Patten a + for course mentor accessibility.

Good luck! It sounds like either path you take will be a good one.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:I'm currently attending Patten for another undergrad degree. I like the program, but i don't feel it is not setup to be completed as quickly as WGU. You have the option of challenging courses, but when I know a grade will be generated, I always do the extra work, so it ends up taking quite a bit longer.

I would recommend both schools for the programs I've seen, however I'd give WGU a + for speed and Patten a + for course mentor accessibility.

Good luck! It sounds like either path you take will be a good one.

Just curious- with a BS and an MBA, why only 57 CR towards your current degree? Why wouldn't all Gen Ed be satisfied already? Is Patten's transfer policy that strict?
BSBA GM TESU June 2016
120 Credits from July 25, 2015 to March 22, 2016
CLEP
College Comp I/II 63 l Anal and Int Lit 61 l Princ of Management 63 l Princ of Marketing 65 l Intro Psych 71 l Intro to Ed Psych 61 l Human Growth and Dev 62 l Intro to Soc 68 l Am Gov 63 l US History I 69 l Biology 56 l Spanish 63
ALEKS
Int Algebra l College Algebra l Intro to Statistics
DSST
Intro to World Rel 481 l Ethics in Am 483 l Criminal Justice 463 l Public Speaking 465 l Intro Comp 454 l MIS 451 l HR Mgt 461
Straighterline
Acc I l Acc II l Cost Acc l Business Law l Org Beh l Bus Comm l Macro l Micro l Int Acc I
Penn Foster
Princ of Finance 92 l Intl Bus 95 l Strat Mgt 98 l Cons Behavior 95
DBRENNAN118 Wrote:Just curious- with a BS and an MBA, why only 57 CR towards your current degree? Why wouldn't all Gen Ed be satisfied already? Is Patten's transfer policy that strict?

I wouldn't say they're strict really, it's just the courses don't line up perfectly. Most of my MBA/BSBA classes would overlap requirements, because it's the same subject area. I believe I have a total of 7 GE courses that don't relate to my major. 16 of the classes directly relate to my major. It sounds like alot, but I did not take public speaking, science with lab, intro to art/music/etc. My CLEPS were too general to apply to American History/Government. I may have been able to push to get more approved, but they aren't that challenging.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:I wouldn't say they're strict really, it's just the courses don't line up perfectly. Most of my MBA/BSBA classes would overlap requirements, because it's the same subject area. I believe I have a total of 7 GE courses that don't relate to my major. 16 of the classes directly relate to my major. It sounds like alot, but I did not take public speaking, science with lab, intro to art/music/etc. My CLEPS were too general to apply to American History/Government. I may have been able to push to get more approved, but they aren't that challenging.

Got it. Well good luck!!
BSBA GM TESU June 2016
120 Credits from July 25, 2015 to March 22, 2016
CLEP
College Comp I/II 63 l Anal and Int Lit 61 l Princ of Management 63 l Princ of Marketing 65 l Intro Psych 71 l Intro to Ed Psych 61 l Human Growth and Dev 62 l Intro to Soc 68 l Am Gov 63 l US History I 69 l Biology 56 l Spanish 63
ALEKS
Int Algebra l College Algebra l Intro to Statistics
DSST
Intro to World Rel 481 l Ethics in Am 483 l Criminal Justice 463 l Public Speaking 465 l Intro Comp 454 l MIS 451 l HR Mgt 461
Straighterline
Acc I l Acc II l Cost Acc l Business Law l Org Beh l Bus Comm l Macro l Micro l Int Acc I
Penn Foster
Princ of Finance 92 l Intl Bus 95 l Strat Mgt 98 l Cons Behavior 95

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 497 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  WGU MS Information Technology Management quigongene 22 7,490 09-05-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  University of Cape Town - Masters in Information Technology nyvrem 1 391 08-30-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CBE Masters in IT Management from South College EverSpinning 14 992 08-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Augusta University Msc InfoSec Management <7k durain 13 1,269 07-11-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  UCMO: Online MS Occupational Safety Management 30-36 credit, $11.8K-$14.2K bjcheung77 6 796 05-18-2023, 09:04 PM
  Study MSc in Environmental Management for free with the Open University UK HVzR5 3 693 05-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: HVzR5
  WGU Master Cybersecurity and Information Assurance Imbanewbie 17 3,413 05-10-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Is Swiss School of management Accredited? soulblader 4 1,664 03-06-2023, 04:52 PM
  Asian institute of management mba soulblader 4 713 11-28-2022, 12:50 PM
Last Post: ashkir