Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU/SL Intro to Programming in C++
While I expect to have this resolved soon, I wanted to put this up here to document what I had to do in order to resolve it (or if it doesn't get resolved, document that)

In my credit transfer from StraighterLine to WGU, I did not get credit for two courses:

Intro to Communications (SL COM101) - Resolved very easily with a simple appeal

Intro to Programming in (SL CS101) C++ - Unresolved at the moment.

Here's what I got back from WGU this morning when I appealed not getting credit for the Scripting and Programming - Foundations course:

Quote:Scripting and Programming foundations – for this course, WGU guidelines require a course that specifically covers algorithms and algorithm development. Based on the course description below this course does not meet the requirement. 

The course objective is to introduce students to programming in C++; teach core computer science concepts of variables, branching, loops, vectors, and functions; introduce object-oriented programming with classes and inheritance; cover use pointers and streams; and teach a variety of good coding practices, including iterative development, code formatting, and variable naming schemes. 

I'm contesting that now and will report back when I find something out. I believe I have a good chance of getting credit after all, especially since I found their agreement HERE that shows CS101 satisfying it.
[-] The following 2 users Like theonlyski's post:
  • Nixi, Thorne
Yeah - that's nuts, because on SL's website, it also shows that the C++ course works for that: https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/

I would definitely fight that one.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Nixi
(11-01-2017, 01:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yeah - that's nuts, because on SL's website, it also shows that the C++ course works for that: https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/

I would definitely fight that one.

I didn't bother referencing SL's website because of the inevitable "They can write whatever they want on their site, doesn't mean it's true" type of response. I also put in a support ticket with SL to say that it didn't transfer as guaranteed and hope that they just call WGU and let both of them get their stories straight.
Issue resolved:

Quote:Thank you for following up with that additional information. After checking with our articulation department I was able to verify that we do indeed have an agreement to take this course. Your evaluation has been updated and will be emailed to you shortly. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

So I guess the take away here is: if it doesn't look right, check. Granted this probably saved me a week of my time (or less) out of a 26 week term but it's still a week that I get to work on something else!
[-] The following 1 user Likes theonlyski's post:
  • Nixi

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many closed-book programming exams? pluggingalong 2 522 09-14-2023, 11:05 PM
Last Post: pluggingalong
  WGU BSSD programming classes like? reylok 3 1,253 12-09-2020, 01:34 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Bad Bad Vibes from WGU (and an Intro of sorts) ivythrowaway 44 13,487 11-07-2019, 03:45 AM
Last Post: Merlin