Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[WGU] Should I Just Go Ahead
Hello all, thanks in advance for any advice! Let me know if I'm missing any information.

I'm currently in the enrollment period for the Networking Operations and Security (BSNOS) degree at WGU. As a sort of test, I decided to get my CCNA beforehand to make sure that I actually have the discipline to self-educate myself. I passed and it accounts for 17 CU's at WGU. I have 14 GenEd CU's transferred in for a total of 31. Due to the CCNA knocking out so many credits I've been doing some digging into what other certifications I can transfer in and as a result I've been reading about CLEP exams, saylor.com, etc. Now I'm reading the threads on this site and I'm interested in the Big 3.

Here's my "dilemma". Should I even bother to research all of this stuff or just stick with WGU? I've got a start date and everything I hear about them is great. I'd like to finish in 2-3 years and I think that through WGU I can accomplish that but if I can do the same thing via one of the other online colleges for cheaper then I'm definitely interested.

So I think I have three options: Start WGU right away, delay WGU and try and get some StraighterLine/Saylor classes transferred in, or forget about WGU and do one of the Big 3.

What do you think, is WGU even an option?

Classes: English Composition I, Technical Communication, Applied Algebra, Natural Science Lab, Integrated Physical Sciences
Certifications: CCNA
Job History: 4+ years IT experience. Currently a L2. Work for a small school district so I get to play around with everything even though I'm not the sysadmin.
Career Goal: Would like to get into automation, either cloud or networking. If I get to work with Linux I'm happy.
Time Available: Can do 2-3 hours of study every day. This is what I did for the CCNA with some extra hours on Saturdays for when I fell behind.
The one good thing about WGU is that you don't have to hunt all over for your courses if you don't want to. You can just take theirs. You can also review their program and see what courses transfer from Sophia, StraighterLine, and Study.com if you want. You could complete more courses and transfer them in, but it's 100% up to you. Have you looked at anyone else's program? If you found one you really like, I find it's usually best to stick with a program you enjoy than keep looking around.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • sirius
WGU would certainly be the only way to get that specific degree. However, before you ACTUALLY start, I would take a look at https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...142&pid=82 and https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...753&pid=82 to see what you could take to transfer into that degree. Spending 2-3 years on a WGU degree would certainly be quite pricey and take a long time, compared to what you could have if you did SDC/SL courses.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • sirius
Yes, I would go for it at WGU, they're an exclusively online university that's really recommended in these parts of the woods! I suggest you complete all the courses transferable to your program by viewing the https://partners.wgu.edu website, such as for Study.com/StraighterLine, CSM, etc... make sure you hit as much transfer courses as you can before you enrol!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • sirius
Holy cats, 2-3 years at WGU is crazy. Instead, pause enrolling, because once you enroll, you can no longer transfer in other credits.

Then, take all of your GE and anything else you can via Study.com or SL. Transfer everything to WGU, then plan on finishing your degree is 1 or 2 terms at most. Do NOT spend more time than that there, it's much too expensive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgot to mention, after you finish all of this go sign up for WGU Academy and get your A+ Cert. It's $150/mo, and if you can get your course done in a month, then that's all you pay. They give you a free voucher to take both exams, so you come out way ahead there. If you don't know A+ yet, I'd suggest self-studying for a lot on your own prior to signing up for WGU Academy. Oh, and make sure before you pay that you can take that course - don't let them force you to take English Comp or anything else, you JUST want to take A+.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • rachel83az, sirius
(03-22-2021, 04:01 PM)ss20ts Wrote: The one good thing about WGU is that you don't have to hunt all over for your courses if you don't want to. You can just take theirs. You can also review their program and see what courses transfer from Sophia, StraighterLine, and Study.com if you want. You could complete more courses and transfer them in, but it's 100% up to you. Have you looked at anyone else's program? If you found one you really like, I find it's usually best to stick with a program you enjoy than keep looking around.

Thanks, the study.com one I had not heard about yet.

(03-22-2021, 04:02 PM)rachel83az Wrote: WGU would certainly be the only way to get that specific degree. However, before you ACTUALLY start, I would take a look at https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...142&pid=82 and https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...753&pid=82 to see what you could take to transfer into that degree. Spending 2-3 years on a WGU degree would certainly be quite pricey and take a long time, compared to what you could have if you did SDC/SL courses.

Thanks so much for those pages. I'm definitely going to review them and see what I can knock out at StraighterLine at least.

(03-22-2021, 04:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, I would go for it at WGU, they're an exclusively online university that's really recommended in these parts of the woods!  I suggest you complete all the courses transferable to your program by viewing the https://partners.wgu.edu website, such as for Study.com/StraighterLine, CSM, etc... make sure you hit as much transfer courses as you can before you enrol!

Thank you for informing me of CMS. It's surprising that there's actually a lot of great programs out there! Just needed to dig a little I guess.

(03-22-2021, 08:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Holy cats, 2-3 years at WGU is crazy. Instead, pause enrolling, because once you enroll, you can no longer transfer in other credits.

Then, take all of your GE and anything else you can via Study.com or SL.  Transfer everything to WGU, then plan on finishing your degree is 1 or 2 terms at most.  Do NOT spend more time than that there, it's much too expensive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgot to mention, after you finish all of this go sign up for WGU Academy and get your A+ Cert.  It's $150/mo, and if you can get your course done in a month, then that's all you pay.  They give you a free voucher to take both exams, so you come out way ahead there.  If you don't know A+ yet, I'd suggest self-studying for a lot on your own prior to signing up for WGU Academy.  Oh, and make sure before you pay that you can take that course - don't let them force you to take English Comp or anything else, you JUST want to take A+.

Thanks so much really. I'm going to heed your (and everyone else's advice) and put off WGU to get some more GE done.
I'll remember the A+ tip. I'm sure I'd pass it just fine within a month.
I second all the advice everyone has already shared. I'm currently attending for the BSIT which has a LOT of overlap with your prospective degree. You already knocked out arguably the hardest part of your degree which is the CCNA so great job! You're off to a great start! I'd be more than happy to answer any specific questions you have and help you with picking cheaper/quicker transfer courses.

A couple follow up questions:

1) do you have a transfer evaluation?
2) would your employer cover any IT certs?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • sirius
(03-22-2021, 11:56 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I second all the advice everyone has already shared. I'm currently attending for the BSIT which has a LOT of overlap with your prospective degree. You already knocked out arguably the hardest part of your degree which is the CCNA so great job! You're off to a great start! I'd be more than happy to answer any specific questions you have and help you with picking cheaper/quicker transfer courses.

Sweet, I'm glad you saw my post! It's always great to have a pioneer to help out haha.

1. Yes, I do have my eval done. I only have 14 CU's for GenEd so I'm going to do at least 4 StraighterLine classes and then maybe do ALEKS and Saylor to finish up the rest.
2. No, no reimbursements for certs unfortunently. Would you recommend doing any by myself and transferring in or would using the WGU material and having them pay for it work out best?

The CCNA cost me $300 for the exam and ~$200 for study materials. It's worth 17 CU's but I don't know how long it would've taken me if I had been in the WGU program. Longer I'm guessing so it was definitely worth it. Would say the Sec+ or maybe the AWS certs be worth doing beforehand?
(03-23-2021, 08:15 AM)sirius Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 11:56 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I second all the advice everyone has already shared. I'm currently attending for the BSIT which has a LOT of overlap with your prospective degree. You already knocked out arguably the hardest part of your degree which is the CCNA so great job! You're off to a great start! I'd be more than happy to answer any specific questions you have and help you with picking cheaper/quicker transfer courses.

Sweet, I'm glad you saw my post! It's always great to have a pioneer to help out haha.

1. Yes, I do have my eval done. I only have 14 CU's for GenEd so I'm going to do at least 4 StraighterLine classes and then maybe do ALEKS and Saylor to finish up the rest.
2. No, no reimbursements for certs unfortunently. Would you recommend doing any by myself and transferring in or would using the WGU material and having them pay for it work out best?

The CCNA cost me $300 for the exam and ~$200 for study materials. It's worth 17 CU's but I don't know how long it would've taken me if I had been in the WGU program. Longer I'm guessing so it was definitely worth it. Would say the Sec+ or maybe the AWS certs be worth doing beforehand?

If you copy/paste your transfer eval(minus PII) that will help. 

I wouldn't necessarily say you should do those certs beforehand, since they'll be included in your tuition, but you could prepare for them now using free/cheap materials, and be ready to test out of them early in your enrollment.

This is a good, free video for AWS CCP:
https://youtu.be/3hLmDS179YE

For security+, look at professor Messer on youtube.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • sirius
For A+ certification, Professor Messer is highly recommended: https://www.professormesser.com/free-a-p...ng-course/ It might be worth paying $25 for the practice exams but you probably don't need anything else.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • sirius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Planning Ahead Florida_Gal 12 635 11-20-2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77