Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WGU announced a new Master of Science in Learning Experience Design and Education
Officially start this master's on Monday.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • jsd, origamishuttle
You should see the name of this program in the student email signature...LOL I also have a pathway in the program so that has to be attached at the end. It's hilariously long. Like some crazy government name.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle
@ss20ts, that's great! It's a new chapter in your educational journey! Good luck and have fun with that degree, it really seems interesting (I'm very much interested in WGU offerings, especially their newer ones)...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle, ss20ts
I've survived my first 3 days and my first cohort! 2 more cohorts on my schedule for the week. I'm not trying to fly through this degree like my previous degrees. I already knew much of what I covered in my 2 bachelor's degrees and some of my MBA. This is all new to me. There's some overlap with project management, but it's presented differently. Trying to learn new stuff this time around. I was originally hoping for 1 term, but I'm now hoping to finish by 12/31/23. The Capstone is 5 CUs so it's pretty big and I can't start it unless I have at least 2 months left in my term.
  • origamishuttle
I see why there are so many complaints and concerns about this program on social media. I'm still trying to get through the first course. The cohorts didn't actually help me with the exam or the 2 tasks which seems odd, but it is what it is. In the very first course, there's a TON of info. The Pre-Assessment does not lineup with the OA at all. The OA is mostly scenarios and you have figure out different things based on a sentence or 2 which often leave out a great deal of context. There are a ton of complaints online about this course. I see why it's caused several people to change programs. It's making me rethink this degree. I never imagined I would still be in my first course over a month into my term. It's kind of ridiculous!
I wish WGU didn’t get rid of their Masters in Learning and Technology. That was a great program that could easily be completed in one term. Two at the very most.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes acamp's post:
  • ss20ts
(06-04-2023, 06:45 PM)acamp Wrote: I wish WGU didn’t get rid of their Masters in Learning and Technology. That was a great program that could easily be completed in one term.  Two at the very most.

There have been a few who've completed this degree in 1 term, but everyone I've seen on socials who has already works in the field or has experience in it. Many teachers are struggling so I don't feel as bad. I have seen a few move over to the C&I program instead. I think this program still needs more work done to improve it. Your first course is a ton of info. It's very technical with the frameworks and methodologies. If the Pre-Assessment lined up with the OA, it would help. Lots of people aren't passing the OA the first time they take it which seems odd. The CI's keep saying they're making changes and tweaks, but it seems like more is needed.
(06-04-2023, 06:59 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 06:45 PM)acamp Wrote: I wish WGU didn’t get rid of their Masters in Learning and Technology. That was a great program that could easily be completed in one term.  Two at the very most.

There have been a few who've completed this degree in 1 term, but everyone I've seen on socials who has already works in the field or has experience in it. Many teachers are struggling so I don't feel as bad. I have seen a few move over to the C&I program instead. I think this program still needs more work done to improve it. Your first course is a ton of info. It's very technical with the frameworks and methodologies. If the Pre-Assessment lined up with the OA, it would help. Lots of people aren't passing the OA the first time they take it which seems odd. The CI's keep saying they're making changes and tweaks, but it seems like more is needed.

No idea why they got rid of the original program. This new program could have been another masters degree program added to the current list of programs. Maybe too many people were completing the Learning and Technology program in one term and they were losing money? No idea why.

[-] The following 1 user Likes acamp's post:
  • ss20ts
(06-04-2023, 06:59 PM)ss20ts Wrote: The CI's keep saying they're making changes and tweaks, but it seems like more is needed.

Poorly constructed tests are the worst. This reminds me of what happened in the College of IT with Intro to Python. Students were switching degrees for the first six months or so. After a year it was still an unreasonable amount of work for an intro course, but finally manageable enough to pass. Eventually they'll improve things, but it will be a rough road.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • ss20ts
Some info for anyone interested in this program:

Courses and Course Load for MSLXD – Adult Learning Designer track (K-12 has 2 different courses)

D291 Learning Experience Design Foundations 1
OA
PA – 2 tasks

D292 Learning Experience Design Foundations 2
PA – 4 tasks

D293 Assessment and Learning Analytics
OA

D294 Learning Technology
PA – 4 tasks

D297 Designing E-learning Experiences for Adults*
PA – 4 tasks

D298 Quality and Impact of Adult E-learning Solutions*
PA – 3 tasks

D299 Learning Experience Design Lab
PA – 3 tasks

D300 Identifying Learner Needs and a Research Problem
PA – 3 tasks

D301 Developing an E-learning Solution and Research Methodology
PA – 4 tasks

D302 Implementing and Evaluating E-learning Solutions+
PA – 3 tasks

*Specifically for the Adult Learning Designer track
+ Capstone

OA = Objective Assessment which is a proctored exam
PA = Performance Assessment which is a written assignment such as a paper, PowerPoint, project, etc. and it can be a combination of things such as a paper and a PowerPoint

Few notes:

APA is required

Several courses have prerequisites so you can’t skip around. My mentor insists on going in the exact order without deviating at all.

You will need a group of learners in various courses. This is for both the K-12 and Adult Learning tracks. You have to find the learners. I haven’t gotten to these courses yet, but I see people struggling with this on social media.
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer Science Degree Help Ad Nauseam 0 27 6 hours ago
Last Post: Ad Nauseam
  WGU Education Degree Path Ad Nauseam 4 202 04-18-2024, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Ad Nauseam
  WGU BS in Health Science Jonathan Whatley 3 229 04-06-2024, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Courcelles
  WGU Master's in Elementary Education - Progress Thread nykorn 1 336 03-22-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,250 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Computer Science 305: Operating Systems Transfer to WGU alesalsa10 4 747 10-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: alesalsa10
  Computer Science Program is now ABET accredited frankc 18 1,715 10-12-2023, 12:58 PM
  Sophia Learning vs. Study.com BrotherG 8 1,566 10-04-2023, 11:33 AM
  New Master's in HRM ss20ts 4 1,279 08-08-2023, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  15-year-old with master’s degree prepares for law school Imbanewbie 7 1,194 03-11-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore