Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU credits, Study.com and Sophia
Lightbulb 
hi - newbie here...

I'm looking to transfer as many credits as possible to WGU BS Cloud Computing program.

I'm wrapping up all of the IT certs that are transferrable (CompTIA, ITIL, etc.) and then want to move on to Study.com or Sophia. WGU has a nice Partners site that maps their courses to the ones on these sites. Should I start on Sophia to get the first batch (~30) of credits and then move to Study.com for the remaining 20 or so? People on here seem to like Sophia better and it's less expensive. I'm assuming I can bring all three sources of credit into WGU enrollment.

Thanks in advance!
Purdue Global, BS IT 

Method:
  • Sophia (13 courses) 
  • Study.com (5 courses
  • W3Schools (PHP Certification)
  • Purdue Global ExcelTrack (2 terms)
I would probably start with Study.com. Depending on how fast you can move through the courses, you may wind up with significant free time before you're allowed to take your next SDC exam. In that time, you can work on the Sophia courses. Sophia should definitely be used for as many credits as you can, though.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
ClockworkHammer Wrote:hi - newbie here...

I'm looking to transfer as many credits as possible to WGU BS Cloud Computing program.

I'm wrapping up all of the IT certs that are transferrable (CompTIA, ITIL, etc.) and then want to move on to Study.com or Sophia. WGU has a nice Partners site that maps their courses to the ones on these sites. Should I start on Sophia to get the first batch (~30) of credits and then move to Study.com for the remaining 20 or so? People on here seem to like Sophia better and it's less expensive. I'm assuming I can bring all three sources of credit into WGU enrollment.

Thanks in advance!

Yup, this is a good plan. Just create a spreadsheet with all courses you're required to take, then color code it with the providers you're going to take, some courses can't be transferred in and some don't have equivalents - these you complete at WGU. So, just view the partners.wgu.edu and go crazy with the spreadsheet until you max out the 90 credits if possible (you should be close). I would go from Sophia and move up to Study.com as you would get the bulk of what you need from them and any remaining ones from Study.com - that would be my preference, you can change it around if needed.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-02-2021, 01:17 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I would probably start with Study.com. Depending on how fast you can move through the courses, you may wind up with significant free time before you're allowed to take your next SDC exam. In that time, you can work on the Sophia courses. Sophia should definitely be used for as many credits as you can, though.

Thank you so much, very useful advice.

(08-02-2021, 01:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
ClockworkHammer Wrote:hi - newbie here...

Thanks in advance!

Yup, this is a good plan.  Just create a spreadsheet with all courses you're required to take, then color code it with the providers you're going to take, some courses can't be transferred in and some don't have equivalents - these you complete at WGU.  So, just view the partners.wgu.edu and go crazy with the spreadsheet until you max out the 90 credits if possible (you should be close).  I would go from Sophia and move up to Study.com as you would get the bulk of what you need from them and any remaining ones from Study.com - that would be my preference, you can change it around if needed.

Cheers, did not know about the 90 credit max!
Purdue Global, BS IT 

Method:
  • Sophia (13 courses) 
  • Study.com (5 courses
Your plan (Sophia then Study) is fine if you're looking for the lowest price.

I would also consider Purdue University Global, they have a competency-based Cloud degree as well, and they give a LOT of credit for some certs, and take 90cr of ACE just like WGU does. It depends on which certs you have as to which is a better deal: my husband has the AWS that's worth 55qcr, and they don't require A+ at all, which was a big one for him as it has been MANY years since he took that and didn't want to study for it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-02-2021, 06:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Your plan (Sophia then Study) is fine if you're looking for the lowest price.

I would also consider Purdue University Global, they have a competency-based Cloud degree as well, and they give a LOT of credit for some certs, and take 90cr of ACE just like WGU does.  It depends on which certs you have as to which is a better deal: my husband has the AWS that's worth 55qcr, and they don't require A+ at all, which was a big one for him as it has been MANY years since he took that and didn't want to study for it.

Thanks for this. If I read the Purdue University Global website correctly, they require 180 credits vs. 123 for WGU. Am I missing something?

Regards,
Mark
Purdue Global, BS IT 

Method:
  • Sophia (13 courses) 
  • Study.com (5 courses
Mark, you need to divide 180 by 1.5 and you get 120 credits. The system Purdue Global is on, is the quarter hour system and not a semester hour.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-02-2021, 07:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Mark, you need to divide 180 by 1.5 and you get 120 credits.  The system Purdue Global is on, is the quarter hour system and not a semester hour.

Thank you so much!!
Purdue Global, BS IT 

Method:
  • Sophia (13 courses) 
  • Study.com (5 courses
Yes, PurdueGlobal is on the quarter system. 120 semester credits = 180 quarter credits.

Just to give you an example of the difference (besides the fact that PUG doesn't require A+); at PUG my husband's AWS Certified Solutions Architect—Associate came in as 55qcr, and covered 10 courses. At WGU, that same cert was 3cr and 1 course.

He ended up needing a LOT fewer courses (and easier ones at that) than at WGU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 6 169 7 hours ago
Last Post: jch
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 429 Today, 08:05 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 890 Yesterday, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 8 678 Yesterday, 03:14 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 118 62,107 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 116 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 502 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,437 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 212 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 744 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill