Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU is working on a Masters in computer science
On twitter, I asked WGU if they were still working on an MS in computer science, and they confirmed that they were.
https://twitter.com/wgu/status/851483303584514048
Quote:We're still working on it, but we don't have a launch date yet. Keep checking back for more information!

In this tweet from 2017 when WGU first announced the CS program, they also confirmed that an MS was coming along with a BS. In 2018 they launched the BS program but not the MS yet.
https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU/comments/etwc9e/update_on_masters_in_computer_science_release/
This is what one reddit user said about it.
Quote:The last update I heard from my mentor was that it was in the works, but it would not be mentioned until next year at the earliest. They are still wanting to focus on increasing the BS in CS enrollment and graduation rates along with working to meet the ABET parameters to get accredited. They apparently had issues with their Pass/Fail based model being accepted with ABET until ABET bent the knee to allow them to pursue it. 

If I can get a CS masters with WGU, I would definitely do it. Since they have been working on it for 3 years now, I think that I may be able to finish my BSCS with them in time for the release of this program.
(07-28-2020, 10:36 AM)sciencemathematics1 Wrote: On twitter, I asked WGU if they were still working on an MS in computer science, and they confirmed that they were.
https://twitter.com/wgu/status/851483303584514048
Quote:We're still working on it, but we don't have a launch date yet. Keep checking back for more information!

In this tweet from 2017 when WGU first announced the CS program, they also confirmed that an MS was coming along with a BS. In 2018 they launched the BS program but not the MS yet.
https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU/comments/etwc9e/update_on_masters_in_computer_science_release/
This is what one reddit user said about it.
Quote:The last update I heard from my mentor was that it was in the works, but it would not be mentioned until next year at the earliest. They are still wanting to focus on increasing the BS in CS enrollment and graduation rates along with working to meet the ABET parameters to get accredited. They apparently had issues with their Pass/Fail based model being accepted with ABET until ABET bent the knee to allow them to pursue it. 

If I can get a CS masters with WGU, I would definitely do it. Since they have been working on it for 3 years now, I think that I may be able to finish my BSCS with them in time for the release of this program.

Yeah, I was following this for a while. I spoke to people at WGU about it when I was a student and got the same answer. They have been saying it is "coming soon" since 2018 and the expectation is that they are waiting for the BSCS to get enough critical mass to make the MSCS realistic for them in terms of ABET accreditation.

Like you, I was also assuming that by the time I finished my degree with them that the MSCS would be an option to consider for a second master's degree, but that came and went and still no official updates. I'd be one of the first in line to sign up for an MSCS from WGU prior to starting on my Ph.D., but I suspect it is still going to be at least another year out.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU/comments/k4...rs_degree/
According to this post, someone talked to their mentor about it and they said that the MS CS program will be announced next spring and started next fall or the spring after that. So it looks like the MS program will be released in Fall 2021 or Spring 2022.
(12-30-2020, 06:55 PM)sciencemathematics1 Wrote: https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU/comments/k4...rs_degree/
According to this post, someone talked to their mentor about it and they said that the MS CS program will be announced next spring and started next fall or the spring after that. So it looks like the MS program will be released in Fall 2021 or Spring 2022.

They have been saying next fall or spring for a while now. But I hope that this time it's true! Smile

They have had several years of BSCS grads coming through their program now, so ABET certification should be within their grasp. From what I heard, that was the last hurdle holding up their MCS program.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • sciencemathematics1

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wanting a masters degree for IT from WGU benon 10 871 01-21-2024, 04:13 AM
Last Post: benon
  Masters in HR - anyone accelerate through this degree? Whitepines 4 497 01-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Computer Science 305: Operating Systems Transfer to WGU alesalsa10 4 688 10-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: alesalsa10
  Computer Science Program is now ABET accredited frankc 18 1,629 10-12-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU announced a new Master of Science in Learning Experience Design and Education GizmoJack 24 4,251 09-08-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  WGU Computer Science degree vs Cyber security indigoshuffle 8 2,152 01-10-2023, 10:01 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Any Gotchas Going from a BS with the Big Three to WGU for a Masters? retro 10 2,218 10-19-2022, 01:45 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  WGU to launch new accelerated bachelors to masters degree MNomadic 17 5,104 06-13-2022, 04:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  WGU - Computer Science 000 2 1,971 08-19-2021, 03:50 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Masters of Leadership and Management RoyalSpade 3 2,444 12-11-2020, 07:49 AM
Last Post: allvia