Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU recruiting practices
Al2010x Wrote:Well, look on the bright side that they are reaffirming your interest. I think it is a good school but if you are not for these calls then you may have to find your MBA elsewhere because once you enroll, you will be assigned a personal student mentor who will call you every week and email you numerous time to keep you on track and check up on your progress. I personally like it simply because that places an accountability on you and help you not to procrastinate that you would otherwise. They are quick to response and easy to work with.

in your case, you may have to OPT OUT of their marketing list until you finish your Bachelors. But...don't be offended. WGU is good not-for profit school.

I don't think anyone is complaining about their system AFTER you enroll, it's the continuous calls to try to get you to enroll that's the problem.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
WGU recruiting and follow up has felt understandable from the start with me. When I showed interest they provided value. When I said Yes they definitely stepped up there activity but I appreciate their interest to close the deal. When I delayed my start they were cool about it and went to a monthly follow up. When I changed my mind they were pleasant to the point that it caused me to rethink the breakup Wink Overall, I have enjoyed my whole experience with WGU.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
I hate unsolicited calls! Whenever I sign up anywhere, I always use my Google Voice #. It's supposed to forward calls to my main number, but I intentionally don't have it setup on my phone, so all calls automatically are directed to my voicemail--any voicemail I get is transcribed automatically for free, so I can just login to my e-mail and check and delete as needed. Love Google Voice! Big Grin
RANSOMSOUL Wrote:WGU recruiting and follow up has felt understandable from the start with me. When I showed interest they provided value. When I said Yes they definitely stepped up there activity but I appreciate their interest to close the deal. When I delayed my start they were cool about it and went to a monthly follow up. When I changed my mind they were pleasant to the point that it caused me to rethink the breakup Wink Overall, I have enjoyed my whole experience with WGU.

Problem is some people said no from the start and they still kept trying. For example my situation was like this "Can I sign up for your MS in Accounting program?" their reply "No, you need a Bachelor's in Accounting" I replied "Understandable Sir, is there anyway an exception or a prerequisite evaluation can be made since I took multiple accounting classes for my BSBA?" their reply "No" to which I said "okay".

One day later they called me asking me to sign up for their BS in IT, which I said "no". They called multiple times and even mailed me a brochure for the program. One of their calls even got me in trouble at work since it went happened at the wrong time.
@johnjaxs - I see your point. Since I flirted at the idea of saying 'Yes' it was cool to to rock the courtship dance with WGU. If I had said 'No' from the start I am sure there would have been a different feeling about check in calls.

Howard University checked in several times after I said no but with a payday of 70k (MBA Tuition), I could see why the effort for them was worth bugging me a little Wink
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
I did a terrible thing, I forwarded a scholarship email from WGU to my sister since I wasn't ready to enroll, and I know she wants a degree but can't afford it. She called me up the next day asking what kind of school did I sic on her on her lol. They got her now. :reddevil:
:imwithstupid:
Aleks - Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS - College Algebra
CLEP Intro to Sociology - 67
Straighterline - Business Ethics
TECEP-Liberal Arts Math - 89
TECEP-Computer Concepts and Applications - 82
TECEP-Introduction to Business - 72
cheersmate
Currently working on:
TESC AA General - Done!!!
TESC BA Social Science
TESC ASBA
Ladyplf Wrote:I did a terrible thing, I forwarded a scholarship email from WGU to my sister since I wasn't ready to enroll, and I know she wants a degree but can't afford it. She called me up the next day asking what kind of school did I sic on her on her lol. They got her now. :reddevil:
That wouldn't have happened if you had simply forwarded an email. You must have done the referral through their website. Back in the stone age, it used to be an ironclad rule of netiquette that you never gave someone else's email address to a third party. The plethora of online greeting cards, Evite, and other scams to harvest email addresses blew that up, but it's still a personal rule of mine.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
No, she contacted them about the scholarship because of the email I gave her but now she is in their web. She just asked me what kind of school is so persistent after simply requesting scholarship info. I reassured her that this just how they are. I have tried to get her to come to this forum forever but she is not the forum type. She wants a degree just doesn't want to work independently at obtaining it like we do.
:imwithstupid:
Aleks - Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS - College Algebra
CLEP Intro to Sociology - 67
Straighterline - Business Ethics
TECEP-Liberal Arts Math - 89
TECEP-Computer Concepts and Applications - 82
TECEP-Introduction to Business - 72
cheersmate
Currently working on:
TESC AA General - Done!!!
TESC BA Social Science
TESC ASBA
I don't have any experience with WGU but I don't think aggressive recruiting is something only shady for-profit schools do. I at one time considered nursing school and requested information from University of San Francisco. I never even started an application but they called me multiple times and left voicemails and FLOODED my inbox. Even when I unsubscribed, the emails still kept coming. And recently I started an application for a highly regarded MSW program in my area and I swear they send me 5 emails a week and they've left me a voicemail.

Point being, yes, it's super annoying, but I wouldn't let it dissuade you too much. I don't think the people in charge of recruiting have much to do with the quality of the program.
man, i've filled out WGU's "more info" form multiple times, and I get the occasional email from them, but other than that I haven't heard a peep from them. Guess I'm just not that sought after ;P
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!