Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU application timing
Hey folks,

I have some questions about WGU and, in particular, their application/enrollment process in terms of both their bachelors and masters programs.

I know some folks here have applied and been accepted to WGU but didn't enroll right away in order to complete and transfer other courses, etc. I'm curious as to whether there is any limit on how long you can remain in applied status before your applied status "expires"?

I know, for example, that at TESU once your application is accepted you have one year to become an enrolled student before your application expires and you have to re-apply, lock into a new catalogue year, and send new transcripts, etc. I assume WGU has a similar policy, is it also one year?

Also, is there any advantage, beyond just having transcripts evaluated, for someone to apply early? Since everyone is accepted and they have rolling monthly starts, it doesn't seem like its that important to apply early. It sounds like everyone starts on the first of the month after their enrollment date, assuming they complete their orientation, which opens two weeks before that.

Thanks!
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I've been in applied since September. I have contact with my advisor every 1-2 months to keep her apprised to when I may be ready to submit my final documents (around May). This has been fine with them.

I don't think it matters applying early or not. I just did because I was pursuing a different career path earlier and changed my degree program to around 8 months later than originally planned.

Just my experience so far.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
Have you contacted them to see if they have any insight into this? I’d imagine their admissions officers would be able to answer this.

Masters of Business Administration - Management
Southeastern Oklahoma State University
AACSB-Accredited
Expected 2019

Bachelors of Science - Biology
East Central University
Conferred 2015
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
I know I was enrolled August of 2017 and didn't start until Oct. 2018. Strangely enough they also still had my enrollment from 2004 on file.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(12-03-2018, 06:20 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: Have you contacted them to see if they have any insight into this? I’d imagine their admissions officers would be able to answer this.

Nah, I didn't want to start them hounding me to apply or enroll until I needed to. Plus I'm curious since I want to recommend WGU to a former coworker but they wouldn't be able to start for a while. I mostly wanted to know if there was a clock that started at application time like TESU.

(12-03-2018, 06:14 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: I've been in applied since September. I have contact with my advisor every 1-2 months to keep her apprised to when I may be ready to submit my final documents (around May). This has been fine with them.

I don't think it matters applying early or not. I just did because I was pursuing a different career path earlier and changed my degree program to around 8 months later than originally planned.

Just my experience so far.

(12-03-2018, 07:08 PM)quigongene Wrote: I know I was enrolled August of 2017 and didn't start until Oct. 2018.  Strangely enough they also still had my enrollment from 2004 on file.

Gotcha. I've been considering applying early myself to make sure I have everything ready to go as soon as I have my BSBA conferred. It may be interesting with the timing. I'm hoping I can still start on April 1st with a March degree conferral. But that is still a few months off.

That and I know they're waiving the application fee right now. But they waive that a lot, and I can always get a referral code to waive it as well.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ThatBankDude
(12-03-2018, 07:12 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 06:20 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: Have you contacted them to see if they have any insight into this? I’d imagine their admissions officers would be able to answer this.

Nah, I didn't want to start them hounding me to apply or enroll until I needed to. Plus I'm curious since I want to recommend WGU to a former coworker but they wouldn't be able to start for a while. I mostly wanted to know if there was a clock that started at application time like TESU.

Gotcha! That makes sense. Hopefully someone can give you a definitive answer.

Expected 2019

Bachelors of Science - Biology
East Central University
Conferred 2015
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
I would apply right after you confer or am about to confer and then provide them with all the information required.
Hmm, I think you can start the application early, if you wanted to, at the beginning of March and see what they say.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I applied August 2017 - my application is as active (admitted) now as it was then. I can login to the portal, they just don't call me anymore (they do email once I login though - technology, they know I'm checking in)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(12-03-2018, 07:26 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would apply right after you confer or am about to confer and then provide them with all the information required.  
Hmm, I think you can start the application early, if you wanted to, at the beginning of March and see what they say.

March degree conferral doesn't happen until around March 15th, and that is also when orientation starts for the April term. I know they'll need transcripts as well, which won't be complete until after the degree audit and won't show graduation until after the conferral. So I'd need to figure out what to get them and when. So I'd need to coordinate with them somewhat early in order to be able to work through the timing.

I was originally planning to wait until Feb 1st or so, since the capstone, and my degree requirements, should be complete by then. But since I was inquiring for other purposes anyway, I figured I'd check to see if there is any value (or downside) in applying earlier.

(12-03-2018, 07:35 PM)allvia Wrote: I applied August 2017 - my application is as active (admitted) now as it was then. I can login to the portal, they just don't call me anymore (they do email once I login though - technology, they know I'm checking in)

Ahh, between your experience and quigongene, it seems pretty definitive that there is no timer to worry about. It seems like you can be in admitted or even in enrolled status for more than a year without any apparent downside.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
You can order your TESU transcript ahead and check a box that says don't send it until after degree conferral. That way it goes out as early as possible.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU Free Application this Week JWells247 3 1,002 11-15-2019, 12:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
Information WGU free application this week RobinLionheart 5 1,308 09-15-2019, 11:51 AM
Last Post: jsd
  WGU Application Fee Waiver Code jawbreakingrr 3 3,375 12-11-2015, 12:54 PM
Last Post: jawbreakingrr
  WGU Application fee waiver jmr3005 0 650 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Last Post: jmr3005