Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU's new BS in Cloud and Systems Administration
Looks interesting.  Exactly what my husband's company is looking for.  Until you look into it a little further.

You get 12 certs through this, but unfortunately only one of them is a valuable one that my husband really wants (the Amazon AWS SysOps).  I wish WGU would get some better certs going - my husband is not a fan of CompTIA, and at his level, this is not a cert that he would even put on his resume (they literally have zero value to him).

Where is the CISSP, the VMWare, Citrix, Cisco?  Where are the Cloud-specific certs (besides CompTIA)?

WGU needs to step up their cert game...just including a bunch of random certs that aren't that valuable doesn't make for a pressing reason to get the degree, unfortunately.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • bluebooger
Cisco is in my program (or the new version of what was my program, now called BS Network Operations and Security). The BS Cybersecurity has Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) from (ISC)² (as well as the SSCP) which is a good one. It'd be hard to add CISSP to the curriculum because it requires 5 years on the job experience, which your typical bachelor student won't have. They do need to flush out some of these lower level certs though... Especially the CIW ones they seem to love that literally no one outside of WGU has even heard of.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(10-29-2017, 02:45 AM)jsd Wrote: Cisco is in my program (or the new version of what was my program, now called BS Network Operations and Security). The BS Cybersecurity has Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) from  (ISC)² (as well as the SSCP) which is a good one. It'd be hard to add CISSP to the curriculum because it requires 5 years on the job experience, which your typical bachelor student won't have. They do need to flush out some of these lower level certs though... Especially the CIW ones they seem to love that literally no one outside of WGU has even heard of.

I guess I didn't mean CISSP as much as I meant ISC2.

He's just not a huge fan of CompTIA, which WGU really seems to love.

And for these types of degrees, I'm guessing that a lot of people actually will have some experience in the field, and are going back to get their degrees because they've hit that ceiling.  A bunch of low-level certs doesn't do much for you.  Wouldn't it be better to include some really great ones instead?  They're not much more expensive, so it can't be cost...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I don't disagree that some more higher level certs would be nice, but they're doing that a bit already with Cisco and SSCP (which is the highest you'll get with ISC2 before the CISSP). It'd be nice to see more of this. At the same time, the certs rolled into the program is pretty unique to WGU... IT programs elsewhere will get you a degree and maybe a discount to sit for certs, but they're not included or mandatory like WGU does it. So it's nice that ANYthing is being included.

I don't have anything against the CompTIA stuff though. They're certainly entry level certs, but at least they recognized unlike the CIW junk. Plenty of folks in the programs will be new to the field and CompTIA still holds weight for entry level jobs. Security+ is essentially necessary to work for the DoD in the field. They have their place.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer Science 305: Operating Systems Transfer to WGU alesalsa10 4 754 10-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: alesalsa10
  Sophia.org python transfer to wgu (cloud computing) Clepking100 6 2,144 07-19-2022, 03:19 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Information WGU Revamps Cloud Computing Degree(AWS, Azure, Multicloud Tracks) MNomadic 11 4,165 04-14-2022, 11:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  WGU BS Business Administration Management - Transferrable Classes NOT on Study mohelena02 12 2,354 01-28-2022, 07:18 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  WGU - BSCC (BS in Cloud Computing) CarpeDiem8 16 4,887 03-25-2020, 05:28 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
  WGU announces the B.S. in Cloud Computing akr680 30 5,841 03-20-2020, 10:15 AM
Last Post: xicovu