Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU announces the B.S. in Cloud Computing
https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/cl...pnUkE9PSJ9
------------------
BS - 2020 (In Progress)
BBA, MK  University - 2003

StraighterLine : 
Accounting I, Accounting II, American Government, Business Statistics, Cultural Anthropology, Calculus I, Physics I, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Communication, Introduction to Religion, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Principles of Management

SDC: 
302: System Analysis & Design, 307: Software Engineering, 104: College Composition l, 104: College Composition II, 303: Management Information Systems, 311: Project Management

TEEX:  Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law

The Institutes: Ethics

CSM: The CSM Course

Looks like it replaces their B.S. Cloud and Systems Administration degree?

These niche degrees they've been moving to in the past few years are a bit much.
In Progress: MS Cybersecurity, Georgia Tech (12/32cr), 2021?
BS IT Security, Western Governors University, 2018
BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, 2016
AA Sociology, Chaffey College, 2015

View all of my earned credits on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • akr680
They changed the name, but the courses they require are exactly the same as the old degree. Not sure what's going on, but nothing new here.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Oh Yeah...that's what I thought, it was under a slightly different name as I read that last week or about 10 days ago.
Here's the link of the previous post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Computing?
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)
Business & IT Certs: Cisco, CompTIA, 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL, MTA, etc
Coursera Google IT Certs & Udacity Nanodegrees

Working on: TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Deferred: **Deciding on several Masters/PHD programs**

2019 BALS and BSBA Spreadsheet using mainly SL/Study.com (post#28,31)
The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Review: Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)
~Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc
(03-17-2020, 01:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They changed the name, but the courses they require are exactly the same as the old degree.  Not sure what's going on, but nothing new here.
Yeah I don’t think they’ve updated the site yet but I think I read they are removing some of the certs and replacing with more cloud focused ones
TESU for a double major, BA in Psychology/History + ASNSM in Computer Science
~----------------------------------------------~
Working on - TECEP Abnormal Psych (April term), Sophia.org for Eng Comp II
Next up - Coopersmith/SDC for all AOS courses
Grad goal - slow-paced, ~2021
Completed - 
28 cr from B&M CC
CSMlearn 
The Institute: Ethics
Study.com: Psy 104, His 108, Edu 104, Edu 103, Pol Sci 102, Comm 120
Sophia.org: Intro to Stats/Psych/Sociology, Envir Science, Conflict Res, Hum Biology, Visual Comm, US History I + II, Intro to IT, An.Gr.Philosopher
(03-17-2020, 03:07 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 01:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They changed the name, but the courses they require are exactly the same as the old degree.  Not sure what's going on, but nothing new here.
Yeah I don’t think they’ve updated the site yet but I think I read they are removing some of the certs and replacing with more cloud focused ones

The changes to the degree requirements happened a few months ago.  The name change happened more recently.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
Honestly, my husband liked the sound of the previous title better. I don't care much for the updated version either!
Completed - 
28 cr from B&M CC
CSMlearn 
Sophia.org: Intro to Stats/Psych/Sociology, Envir Science, Conflict Res, Hum Biology, Visual Comm, US History I + II, Intro to IT, An.Gr.Philosopher
Either one is fine with mine, he doesn't really care. The word "cloud" is enough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
(03-17-2020, 06:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Either one is fine with mine, he doesn't really care. The word "cloud" is enough.

Oh, is he currently pursuing this, @dfrecore?
Completed - 
28 cr from B&M CC
CSMlearn 
I feel like WGU's focus on the name choice for degrees is a disservice. Algorithms are looking for Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Technology. Deviating from that makes the degree look odd and suspect if you're just scanning quick and don't know what WGU is.

Why people don't just knock out the B.S. Information Technology degree is beyond me. WGU's certification model makes it too specific to be really helpful. No MCSA Microsoft Certs? Linux? VMware? Azure? A Cloud Engineer needs to know Linux very deep, but they barely touch it.When someone has a WGU degree, i just think "Okay, they spent $15k to get a AWS/CCNA/insert cert here.

If WGU had been a for profit school using industry certification for it's coursework, people would be up at arms about it. WGU rubs me the wrong way for some reason.
In progress:
Penn Foster: A.S. Industrial Electronics & Electrical Technology

End goal:
TESU: BS Electronics Systems Engineering OR Energy Systems OR Electrical Technology

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
[-] The following 1 user Likes xicovu's post:
  • jsd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU - BSCC (BS in Cloud Computing) CarpeDiem8 16 471 03-25-2020, 05:28 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
  WGU's new BS in Cloud and Systems Administration dfrecore 3 2,202 10-29-2017, 06:17 AM
Last Post: jsd
  topics not covered by IC on DSST Computing & IT rvm 0 430 08-31-2017, 11:24 AM
Last Post: rvm
  DSST Computing and Information Systems musictester 0 294 02-21-2017, 01:49 AM
Last Post: musictester
  DSST Computing, Management Information Systems, and CLEP Information Technology mota 8 567 10-26-2016, 10:51 AM
Last Post: aalvez
  Taking the DSST Intro to Computing test tomorrow andrewisthebestestman 3 219 04-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: managerman
  DSST Intro to Computing vs. CLEP Information Systems Gretchen 2 136 09-10-2015, 08:05 PM
Last Post: VanillaBean
  DSST Intro to computing - ready to take test? VanillaBean 3 216 08-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Last Post: jortholmes
  DSST Intro to Computing finished GbambinogG 1 395 09-08-2014, 02:10 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Just took the Intro to Computing DSST Practice Exam Arcas 6 936 05-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Last Post: zenurez