Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU vs Walden
Which school do think is better?  I know WGU is a non-profit.  I'm seriously considering WGU's MS in Management and Leadership and have read nothing but great things about WGU.  Plus, it's work at your own pace.  Did anyone complete this degree?
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
I can’t speak for WGU, but I am currently taking the MBA courses at Walden on the Tempo Learning program. They frequently have the first term free promotion. It’s a great way to try before you buy. Since it is free, maybe give it a shot and if you don’t like it you can always transfer out.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 3 users Like Vle045's post:
  • collegechick, Kal Di, yrot21
Just remember that you can't transfer credits out to WGU's MSML program. They don't accept transfer credit for that program or most other Master's programs there.
Walden isn't available in every state. There are few where they aren't able to offer degrees. NY is one of those states which bummed me out because I wanted to do their project management CBE program, but it's not available here.

WGU's degrees have few courses. WGU doesn't accept transfer credit into their master's degrees which is not odd. Many schools don't accept graduate transfer credit. They have a bunch of Facebook groups which are very active. Lots of help is available on them. I don't know if Walden has this going on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • collegechick
Oh wow. I didn’t know there could be some states they couldn’t offer degrees. I have never heard of that.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(05-31-2021, 04:37 PM)Vle045 Wrote: Oh wow.  I didn’t know there could be some states they couldn’t offer degrees.  I have never heard of that.

I ran into this problem with Walden and Rasmussen. Neither one is licensed in NY. Rasmussen is not licensed in RI either. Walden doesn't have any info about this issue on their website. Rasmussen does which is nice so I didn't waste my time and theirs. Colleges have to be licensed in states to offer their degrees. It made me wonder if Walden isn't part of NC-Sara. I was really bummed because they have a CBE project management master's and I would love to complete it, but i can't unless I move which is what the person from Walden I spoke with recommended. I was like you want me to move to another state to attend your college? Yeah no. LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Vle045
(05-31-2021, 09:02 AM)collegechick Wrote: Which school do think is better?  I know WGU is a non-profit.  I'm seriously considering WGU's MS in Management and Leadership and have read nothing but great things about WGU.  Plus, it's work at your own pace.  Did anyone complete this degree?

I completed the MSML with WGU and have nothing but great praises for them and the program Smile .

K.
[-] The following 2 users Like kruxalk20's post:
  • collegechick, Vle045
(06-02-2021, 01:20 PM)kruxalk20 Wrote:
(05-31-2021, 09:02 AM)collegechick Wrote: Which school do think is better?  I know WGU is a non-profit.  I'm seriously considering WGU's MS in Management and Leadership and have read nothing but great things about WGU.  Plus, it's work at your own pace.  Did anyone complete this degree?

I completed the MSML with WGU and have nothing but great praises for them and the program Smile .

K.

Thank you for commenting.  I keep hearing wonderful things about this program.  However, I am concerned with the math requirements in the "Business Acumen" class.  I dropped the Hellenic Amerian Uni MBA program due to uninteresting and outright painful sounding math courses (and I couldn't work at my own pace).  Again, for someone who really struggles with math and struggled with Pearson's math at TESU, how bad are these formulas with this program? Is it like algebra?

I'd like to get a masters for the sake of having a masters and escape the executive assistant role.  I have zero issues with writing, but sometimes feel like I ought to seek a masters in Strategic Communications or something PR/communications/advertising/marketing just to escape these math courses.  However, the rest of the curriculum for the MSML at WGU sounds completely doable.

(05-31-2021, 09:32 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I can’t speak for WGU, but I am currently taking the MBA courses at Walden on the Tempo Learning program.  They frequently have the first term free promotion.  It’s a great way to try before you buy.  Since it is free, maybe give it a shot and if you don’t like it you can always transfer out.

Thank you for the suggestion.

(05-31-2021, 11:41 AM)eLearner Wrote: Just remember that you can't transfer credits out to WGU's MSML program. They don't accept transfer credit for that program or most other Master's programs there.

That's ok, I don't have any graduate courses to transfer.

(05-31-2021, 01:47 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Walden isn't available in every state. There are few where they aren't able to offer degrees. NY is one of those states which bummed me out because I wanted to do their project management CBE program, but it's not available here.

WGU's degrees have few courses. WGU doesn't accept transfer credit into their master's degrees which is not odd. Many schools don't accept graduate transfer credit. They have a bunch of Facebook groups which are very active. Lots of help is available on them. I don't know if Walden has this going on.

Thank you for the FB tip.  I deleted all my social media years ago, but maybe might go back to receive some tips for this undertaking.
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
The MSML math is very rudimentary. If you can read a word problem and identify which numbers to plug into a simple X divided by Y, you're good to go. C201, the acumen class, does want you to know which pieces of information are the inputs to certain ratios, but the actual calculations are simple, no algebra or anything. Accounting and finance are touched on on the broad overviews, but not the nitty-gritty of calculations that you'd find in an actual class on accounting or finance. Basically, C201 is an MBA's worth of breath in one class, and about a millimeter deep.

I literally did one math problem the entire degree.
[-] The following 2 users Like Courcelles's post:
  • collegechick, Muldoon
(06-02-2021, 11:37 PM)Courcelles Wrote: The MSML math is very rudimentary.  If you can read a word problem and identify which numbers to plug into a simple X divided by Y, you're good to go.  C201, the acumen class, does want you to know which pieces of information are the inputs to certain ratios, but the actual calculations are simple, no algebra or anything.  Accounting and finance are touched on on the broad overviews, but not the nitty-gritty of calculations that you'd find in an actual class on accounting or finance.  Basically, C201 is an MBA's worth of breath in one class, and about a millimeter deep.  

I literally did one math problem the entire degree.

Thank you for explaining all of this, appreciate this info.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 30 25,379 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  Walden university richlyblessed 7 1,410 01-02-2024, 09:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Programs Walden vs WGU vs Capella blahblahblah88 6 1,518 07-08-2023, 05:10 AM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  would like to talk to anyone who has taken walden university classes (graduate) TINASAM 8 1,510 05-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Walden University Fast Track PhD feedback Johmford 1 980 01-03-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Walden University MS-Psychology Tempo Learning Supermind 44 10,467 12-28-2022, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Walden psychology ARV095 5 957 12-22-2022, 08:53 AM
Last Post: ARV095
  Walden Tempo Criminal Justice/grad school redheadguy03 6 1,115 10-31-2022, 03:27 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  $3000 Grant MBA for Walden Tempo SweetSecret 8 1,200 08-06-2022, 10:49 AM
Last Post: Vle045
Question Walden Tempo MHRM AnnaAK 3 958 03-10-2022, 12:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77