Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warning: MUST Have STEM or Business Degree
(02-24-2018, 02:44 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: Background:   Since I got my degree at COSC (and even a little before) I have been working in international business.   My last job was as Head of Global Sales at a prominent medical organization and they had me traveling around 250k miles per year.   Well, as much as that sounds like a dream job, it was literally going to kill me.  Not to mention that I have a family and I do enjoy seeing them as much as possible.

So, I took a small break and have been doing consulting.    BUT, the consulting is not really for me and I have started to casually look for another international sales job... hopefully one with less travel.

Here's the problem:  All of the jobs I am looking for have the following requirement, "Bachelor's Degree in engineering, science, or business required; MBA preferred."     There are several variations on this theme.  Some will specify life sciences or business (pharma companies) and others are less precise and say "technical or business degree required."    THEY ALL SAY MBA preferred.

Ok, so I am looking at senior-level positions, so I don't care that they want an MBA.  I have an MBA because I wanted to climb the corporate ladder a little.   What worries me is that all of the jobs I'm seeing USED to only say bachelor's degree required, and then be fairly relaxed about the field of study.    Now, they suddenly care about technical knowledge.. or at least it seems.  Everyone wants the STEM undergrad or business.    (And who the heck would equate business with an engineering degree??  Can someone explain that because I have a biz degree and it sure isn't engineering!)

I'm also getting lots of email updates with jobs and many of them are entry to mid-level and they're still asking for the same thing.  I personally believe that the corporate recruiters might be overzealous.  I've done these jobs.  You sure don't need a technical degree.      I'm just concerned that there might be a trend that could hurt liberal arts majors.   

Has anyone seen this?    I'm in sales that aren't particularly technical - and any industry terminology can be trained.    So to me it seems totally uncalled for, but I've looked at several hundred jobs over the past month and a half.  It seems to be a reality in my profession.     Thoughts?

no way should you worry about a second bachelor's. If you want something tech, do a grad certificate at Harvard. They write that because they are WILLING to take someone with less experience (BS) but PREFER someone with MBA (you). Add a cert, you'll look forward thinking, but a new BS muddies the waters. Your experience is amazing, and you are exceptionally qualified.

https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academ...1514755523

PS Sorry you're pulling back on consulting but don't let that get in your head.
(02-24-2018, 09:54 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(02-24-2018, 02:44 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: Background:   Since I got my degree at COSC (and even a little before) I have been working in international business.   My last job was as Head of Global Sales at a prominent medical organization and they had me traveling around 250k miles per year.   Well, as much as that sounds like a dream job, it was literally going to kill me.  Not to mention that I have a family and I do enjoy seeing them as much as possible.

So, I took a small break and have been doing consulting.    BUT, the consulting is not really for me and I have started to casually look for another international sales job... hopefully one with less travel.

Here's the problem:  All of the jobs I am looking for have the following requirement, "Bachelor's Degree in engineering, science, or business required; MBA preferred."     There are several variations on this theme.  Some will specify life sciences or business (pharma companies) and others are less precise and say "technical or business degree required."    THEY ALL SAY MBA preferred.

Ok, so I am looking at senior-level positions, so I don't care that they want an MBA.  I have an MBA because I wanted to climb the corporate ladder a little.   What worries me is that all of the jobs I'm seeing USED to only say bachelor's degree required, and then be fairly relaxed about the field of study.    Now, they suddenly care about technical knowledge.. or at least it seems.  Everyone wants the STEM undergrad or business.    (And who the heck would equate business with an engineering degree??  Can someone explain that because I have a biz degree and it sure isn't engineering!)

I'm also getting lots of email updates with jobs and many of them are entry to mid-level and they're still asking for the same thing.  I personally believe that the corporate recruiters might be overzealous.  I've done these jobs.  You sure don't need a technical degree.      I'm just concerned that there might be a trend that could hurt liberal arts majors.   

Has anyone seen this?    I'm in sales that aren't particularly technical - and any industry terminology can be trained.    So to me it seems totally uncalled for, but I've looked at several hundred jobs over the past month and a half.  It seems to be a reality in my profession.     Thoughts?

no way should you worry about a second bachelor's.  If you want something tech, do a grad certificate at Harvard.  They write that because they are WILLING to take someone with less experience (BS) but PREFER someone with MBA (you).  Add a cert, you'll look forward thinking, but a new BS muddies the waters.  Your experience is amazing, and you are exceptionally qualified.

https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academ...1514755523

PS Sorry you're pulling back on consulting but don't let that get in your head.

You're too nice!   I'm not feeling bad about the consulting thing.  I just don't like it... I have learned that I like to sell - that's it.  I don't like all of the other things that go along with having your own business.    LOL, put me up in front of a room of 800 people speaking at a conference in India and I'm super happy.    Make me create an invoice for a client and I'm ready to jump off a cliff.   Wink

I LOVE the Harvard idea.   Actually always love the ideas you have!   I might wait for now... might be better to see if I find a place that will pay for any extra studies.   I've been dumb in the past and managed only to spend on education when I'm working at a place without tuition reimbursement!     But I'm not worried about finding a job.  Luckily, in the move to South Dakota, even though we ended up with a much better place, it's a lot cheaper here, so I can take my sweet time and look for a good match that will accept my education Wink
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 295 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 534 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 479 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  Business 150 - Figure It Out. bjcheung77 0 432 09-28-2022, 03:11 PM
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 525 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 927 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Dr. Amy Cuddy 8 years for 1 degree ashkir 3 944 07-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  PSA: Northwest "Heat Wave" Warning! bjcheung77 3 733 06-27-2021, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Degree Forgery Alpha 8 1,561 04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,653 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked