Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Website Building
In the near future I'll be in a position where I have to build a website.  For better or for worse, it's something I've never done before but I know there are lots of options for platforms, etc.  It's going to be simple.  A landing page that rarely/never changes, a blog page.  I know that for some of you this would be a simple task.  Help me cut through the bullshit and give me some recommendations of the best direction.
Usually whatever domain provider will have something you can use to edit. I do mine on Wordpress, but there’s tons of options
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
I'd go WordPress but then again I've been using it for like 15 years. Almost any host will offer it. Personally I like the Divi theme because you can build anything you want with it, other people like using Elementor or other builders and many times pair it with a theme.
Wordpress v. Squarespace     Any clear pros and cons? Does it really matter?
What's the complexity of the site you want to build? If it's fairly simple you can use Wix or Squarespace.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pikachu's post:
  • Vle045
It might be easier to switch hosts in the future if you're already using WordPress than if you migrate from Squarespace.

Ghost might also be worth looking at: https://ghost.org/
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(06-11-2022, 08:15 AM)carrythenothing Wrote: It might be easier to switch hosts in the future if you're already using WordPress than if you migrate from Squarespace.

Good point.  Thanks.

It's going to be a simple site, non-interactive.  Text, a few graphics, perhaps a blog.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • Vle045
(06-11-2022, 11:01 AM)Alpha Wrote:
(06-11-2022, 08:15 AM)carrythenothing Wrote: It might be easier to switch hosts in the future if you're already using WordPress than if you migrate from Squarespace.

Good point.  Thanks.

It's going to be a simple site, non-interactive.  Text, a few graphics, perhaps a blog.

Wordpress would definitely fit that.  You can create a free account and mess around with it.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(06-11-2022, 11:06 AM)Vle045 Wrote:
(06-11-2022, 11:01 AM)Alpha Wrote:

Good point.  Thanks.

Wordpress would definitely fit that.  You can create a free account and mess around with it.

Yes, that seems to be the best thing to do.  It's officially on the list of THINGS TO DO and sometime this Summer it will rise to the top of the list.  Thanks to all.
Elementor was mentioned, you will need a theme, I suggest GeneratePress. For both of these you can use the freebie options and test them out... The easiest way to learn Wordpress is to create a sample yet simple webpage and try modifying things. GeneratePress is a very "lean" slimmed down version for faster/quick loading of information... Elementor is a design tool where you customize things by adding pictures, text, videos...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problems registering on the "sister" website SweetSecret 12 2,014 06-21-2022, 02:02 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Showcase your portfolio website! bjcheung77 1 640 03-14-2021, 03:36 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  Microsoft Azure Status Website bjcheung77 0 593 09-28-2020, 07:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Did this website just drastically change? MNomadic 19 2,831 03-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Perfect Studying Website? DefaultUser 20 3,376 07-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Last Post: adrianeraldo
  Is there a website that shows episode content? Prloko 11 2,944 08-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Last Post: davewill
  MIT & Khan Academy website Daithi 1 959 08-22-2013, 05:19 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  homeschooling website giving away a copy of my book! cookderosa 6 1,819 03-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Last Post: namwen
  website question jdancer 7 1,272 07-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Westerner
  IC Website Down Levi 19 2,967 02-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Levi