Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perfect Studying Website?
My family has decided to use their non-profit to create an 'ideal' website for testing out of college. Something that brings together all the many websites from all over, making it so much easier to get all your information in one place. What should we include? Please give any suggestions. Our thoughts so far are:
1. Links to study guides/test specific info.
2. Explanations of some of the conversions for tests from Saylor, Clep, DSST to the Big 3.
3. Application for vouchers to CLEP & DSST (It's a non-profit, so part of their mission is to help people with education).
4. 'How To's' that include steps like, sign up for ACE account to track credits, how to plan your testing path, etc.
5. Sources of free credits
6. Discount codes for tests, instantcert, etc.

Given that it's a non-profit, would you rather have pages with a 'Donate Now' link or pay a monthly fee to access the content? If so, how much would you be willing to pay? Not everyone 'tests out' due to financial reasons, so it would be nice if they could make a donation to support those who do this as a means to lower college costs.

What would be on your 'wish list' for content? What would you want in a 'free' area vs a 'paid membership' area? We are thinking keep as much free as possible, but require a donation of $5-$10 for test specific information. Thoughts? After all, you want to replenish the fund. We will be taking applications for students who want a voucher for ProctorU, CLEP & DSST tests. That will help make it affordable, and that is one of the goals of the non-profit. But we also want to attract enough attention within the 'test-out' community that it's a resource which helps everyone. Make sense?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts, ideas and suggestions!
Not cool to come on this website and solicit this
I don't understand. Why is it 'not cool'? First, I'm not soliciting anything. Second, we are talking about putting together a site that combines various information sources around the web into an easy to use resource. AND giving away vouchers to needy students. This site has been incredibly helpful in achieving my college goals, and this is a way we can give back. What exactly is 'not cool'? We aren't detracting from this site. We are even offering vouchers for instantcert to needy students. Please explain. Thanks in advance.
This site does that job. It is such a dynamic and changing thing, that I don't see a site like you're suggesting being very useful. It will likely fall out of date, and not be responsive enough to individual needs. If there's payment involved, then it's a non-starter in my book.

Besides, given that we don't know you from Adam, why should we have any confidence in your ability to do this right?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I think that the mission of your family's non-profit is a worthy one because more information (disseminated to more people) about this process is better. However, I think the initial objection you encountered earlier in this thread is because almost everything you described that you want to do, this site already does. It is not all in one place because there is a separate wiki page and one has to click over to Modern States' website for the vouchers. But almost everything is free here. To take that info and put it on a subscription model is, in my opinion, not wise. A donation model for certain aspects of the site may work, but it seems to me that it would be better to work with InstantCert/DegreeForum than to try to compete with them. Your non-profit can perhaps partner with them. If your family's studying website does not have to constantly check for updates to various school policies and constantly update webpages with the changes, there will be more money available to provide vouchers. You probably could get federal government grants to help finance/replenish resources in the absence of membership revenue, or perhaps revenue from advertisements on your website. Even help from certain educational foundations or education philanthropists may help.
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.
"would you rather have pages with a 'Donate Now' link or pay a monthly fee to access the content?"

HA HA HA HA HA

google is free
you're basically charging people for being too stupid to figure out how to use google
bluebooger Wrote:"would you rather have pages with a 'Donate Now' link or pay a monthly fee to access the content?"

HA HA HA HA HA

google is free
you're basically charging people for being too stupid to figure out how to use google

Or how to use this board. I can get everything I need on here!
You're asking the wrong people. You're asking us what we want when we already have it. Over the years, many members have contributed thousands of hours to adding information to this website and answering questions. Now, you're asking those people how you should best leech information off of them and charge for it. The people who would most likely use your website won't be on this forum.

I'm trying to understand how you would charge enough to fund the test vouchers and still make the subscription worthwhile. Why would I pay for study materials just to get a free test when I can just find the study materials for free and pay for the test? Plus, there are all kinds of tricks to drastically lower the cost of earning credits.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Hey, it's not a bad plan, it should be workable if you put a bit of effort into it and slowly grow the site. Be a blog first...
I think the OP is wanting to be similar to a mix of being this site and those homeschooling blogs, with a dash of "Jay Cross".

The donating option would be best, but only if you have somethings that aren't readily available. For example, most of the
Homeschooling sites already have what you're referring to, ie: coupons for Study.com/Straighterline. You need a little more.

I would think of a niche within that and then have people donate to "grow" the site. You're helping people, that's the main point.
I applaud you and for your family for being sincere, having said that, "the people" need to know what they're getting in return.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
sanantone Wrote:You're asking the wrong people. You're asking us what we want when we already have it. Over the years, many members have contributed thousands of hours to adding information to this website and answering questions. Now, you're asking those people how you should best leech information off of them and charge for it. The people who would most likely use your website won't be on this forum.

I'm trying to understand how you would charge enough to fund the test vouchers and still make the subscription worthwhile. Why would I pay for study materials just to get a free test when I can just find the study materials for free and pay for the test? Plus, there are all kinds of tricks to drastically lower the cost of earning credits.

Probably trying to rip people off with the modern states vouchers and take credit for what modern states is doing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problems registering on the "sister" website SweetSecret 12 1,978 06-21-2022, 02:02 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Website Building Alpha 10 947 06-11-2022, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Showcase your portfolio website! bjcheung77 1 626 03-14-2021, 03:36 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  Microsoft Azure Status Website bjcheung77 0 571 09-28-2020, 07:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  You know you've been studying too much when... rachel83az 4 915 08-31-2020, 11:11 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Did this website just drastically change? MNomadic 19 2,754 03-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Is there a website that shows episode content? Prloko 11 2,839 08-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Last Post: davewill
  MIT & Khan Academy website Daithi 1 940 08-22-2013, 05:19 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  homeschooling website giving away a copy of my book! cookderosa 6 1,803 03-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Last Post: namwen
  Post your perfect scores here BenWalton 1 743 10-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Last Post: SuZQ2