Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Classes can I take through ACE/CLEP/ETC
Hello I'm an Accounting major who transferred in to UMPI with 54 credits, I start on July 5th and I want to make sure I maximize my cheaper/faster credit options. I have 26 total classes to take 7 of which I believe I can complete through Sophia etc. I also have 1 credit of general elective that I must complete so if anyone has something quick for that let me know. Below I have shared classes I must complete through UMPI along some I may be able to complete on Sophia. If I missed anything let me know! 

Thanks in advance

Sophia Options:

BUS 101 Intro to Business:
Intro to Business or Principles of Management if I want to use Sophia intro to business as elective not sure why I would want to do this?

PHI 152 Intro to Ethics (or equivalent for GEC Information Literacy Learning Objective C; GECGLO 2A):
Intro to Ethics

ENV 110 Intro to Environmental Science (or equivalent to meet GEC 3. Quantitative & Scientific Reasoning, Learning Objective 3D):
Environmental Science

Geo 101 Intro to Human Geography or Soc 100 Intro to Sociology (or equivalent to meet GEC5 Global Consciousness & Intercultural Awareness Learning Objective A, GLO 5A):
Intro to Sociology

HTY 116 World Civilization II (or equivalent from Global Consciousness & Intercultural Awareness, GECGLO 5B):
Us History I ?

BIO 105 (or equivalent to meet GEC Quantitative & Scientific Reasoning Learning Objectives C & E, GECGLO 3C & E):

Not sure if I can take Human Biology on Sophia or if this requires a lab ?

FRE 101 OR SPA 101 (or equivalent to meet GEC5 Global Consciousness & Intercultural Awareness; Learning Objective C, GECGLO 5C):
 Clep or instantcert (competent in French) or Spanish on Sophia ?

Classes I think must be taken through UMPI let me know if better alternative exist:

Pos 101 American Government or Pos 211 Introduction to Political Thought (or equivalent to meet GEC5 Global Consciousness & Intercultural Awareness, Learning Objective E; GECGLO5E)

HUM 103 Creative Decision Making or ENG 211 Creative Writing (or equivalent to meet GEC Critical & Creative Thinking Learning Objective D, GECGLO 2D)

MAT 140 Mathematics for Business

ENG 151 Intro to Literature (or equivalent to meet GEC Critical and Creative Thinking Learning Objective 2E, GECGLO 2E)

BUS 220 Managerial Accounting

BUS 325 Financial Management

BUS 348 Cost Accounting

BUS 352: Business Law II

BUS 361: Intermediate Accounting I

BUS 362: Intermediate Accounting II

BUS 376: Independent Auditing

BUS 377: Federal Taxation I

BUS 378: Federal Taxation II

BUS 415 - Operations Management

BUS 440 - Business Analytics

BUS 464 - Advanced Accounting

BUS 466 - Governmental & Not-for-Profit Accounting

BUS 469 Strategic Professional Communication

BUS 489 - Business Policy & Strategy
Even though you have more credits than this particular person and you've already got a plan that works (completing those Sophia.org courses first), my suggestion still remains to follow this thread.  Basically, defer your session and complete the courses up to 90 credits for transfer and start the next session: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid370181
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-24-2022, 12:22 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Even though you have more credits than this particular person and you've already got a plan that works (completing those Sophia.org courses first), my suggestion still remains to follow this thread.  Basically, defer your session and complete the courses up to 90 credits for transfer and start the next session: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid370181

I'm not sure I understand why I would defer my session. I have all but 1 credit of my gen el's. And can only take 7 classes to my knowledge outside of UMPI. I plan on finishing the majority of them before my start date on July 5th. Is there something I'm overlooking?
Did you check the Wiki?
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Sebchi Wrote:I'm not sure I understand why I would defer my session. I have all but 1 credit of my gen el's. And can only take 7 classes to my knowledge outside of UMPI. I plan on finishing the majority of them before my start date on July 5th. Is there something I'm overlooking?

Yeah, it's best to review the wiki and the template link I have in my reply post to you earlier... In short, as per your first post, 26 courses remaining - 7 courses at Sophia.org you'll be taking = 19 courses at UMPI. That will take you at least 2-3 sessions, to save you the energy, money, time, it's best to transfer in those extra 9 courses by delaying just 1 session. For more details, review the last post #21 in the thread I linked you earlier... I just updated that 5 minutes ago.

(06-24-2022, 07:04 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
Sebchi Wrote:I'm not sure I understand why I would defer my session. I have all but 1 credit of my gen el's. And can only take 7 classes to my knowledge outside of UMPI. I plan on finishing the majority of them before my start date on July 5th. Is there something I'm overlooking?

Yeah, it's best to review the wiki and the template link I have in my reply post to you earlier... In short, as per your first post, 26 courses remaining - 7 courses at Sophia.org you'll be taking = 19 courses at UMPI.  That will take you at least 2-3 sessions, to save you the energy, money, time, it's best to transfer in those extra 9 courses by delaying just 1 session.  For more details, review the last post #21 in the thread I linked you earlier... I just updated that 5 minutes ago.

I understand what you're saying here. Although taking classes through study.com to get closer to 90creds is money out of my pocket. I will maximize sophia because of the price and speed i can complete some courses. But I dont think taking classes from study.com is the best choice for me since I had full financial aid coverage from  for UMPI's courses.
That's great news you get financial aid (info wasn't provided in your initial post, that is why I usually link new members to the template thread), what I would suggest still is to make sure you have enough time to finish in those sessions or terms you have the financial aid. Even though Study.com might be $199/month for 2 courses, you can add $70/extra course exam. For UMPI, even if you are 1 course away, you would need to take $1400 for that final course. I would really think about all that...

To elaborate: An example: If you have 26 courses remaining and you can complete a max of 8/session (let's just say 1 each week). For 3 terms, you would do 24 courses. That would spill 2 to the 4th term and those two would be $1400 - that's $700/course instead of what Study.com can get you. Again, this is just an example, if you get financial aid for all 3 sessions or more, you're covered...

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ss20ts
If you have a Pell Grant then UMPI should be basically free.

I would hammer out those Sophia courses pronto.

GL at UMPI. That degree is yours.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(06-26-2022, 03:39 AM)Sebchi Wrote: I understand what you're saying here. Although taking classes through study.com to get closer to 90creds is money out of my pocket. I will maximize sophia because of the price and speed i can complete some courses. But I dont think taking classes from study.com is the best choice for me since I had full financial aid coverage from  for UMPI's courses.

There are certain classes you just don't want to take at UMPI like the lab science requirement. That class is a nightmare. The Study.com version is fairly easy and quick. You also do not have to dissect owl feces. You do at UMPI. You're also better off transferring as many courses prior to enrollment so you can focus on your UMPI courses. 7.5 weeks goes by very quickly! Yes you can transfer courses after you're enrolled however you need permission from your academic advisor to do so.
I've had recent confirmation from a student that the science course is still just as bad as when ashkir took it. If you can avoid taking the class at UMPI, definitely do so!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I know which of my classes will transfer? mt_1994 3 113 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 238 Yesterday, 12:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  What accounting classes require exams or paper? I have 11 classes left Sarajane 7 410 04-20-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Sarajane
  Which Sophia Classes Meet These Requirements? gc82 2 324 03-15-2024, 10:15 AM
  Which BUS Classes would be the quickest tombbraider 4 460 03-11-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia Classes for BA Psych? CollegeBraveB 2 418 03-01-2024, 09:10 PM
  Failed classes prissy1pris 9 1,139 01-29-2024, 12:40 AM
Last Post: TammaraOligschlaeger
  Does CLEP College Composition MODULAR transfer? octoco 2 346 01-11-2024, 10:25 PM
  Fastest UMPI classes since the change to brightspace? CanICode 8 1,401 11-19-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Study vs UMPI BUS Classes klone 4 756 11-14-2023, 06:50 PM