Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What English test will Excelsior accept?
Update for anyone who cares:

I got that letter from my advisor stating that I had met the English requirements for the A.S. I had been pursuing in Health Services Administration and that I had also met the A.A. degree requirements for the State of Florida.

Will be submitting and will let you all know if this is accepted.

Stay tuned.....

Judy
P00057870 Wrote:HELP!!!
Is there any input here from those who have actually done this -- Penn Foster or Straighterliner, Aleks??? and gotten the credits accepted by EC?...
Judy

I can confirm that English Composition (ENG-100) course from Penn Foster will fulfill EC's WER. I have completed the class myself three months ago. Here is what my advisor said:
"You are fine to take the Penn Foster English Composition (ENG 100) course to fulfill the Written English requirement, as well as their Information Literacy (ENG 103) course to satisfy the Information Literacy requirement "
There was a couple of threads about it
[SIZE="1"]Done with the last exam! August 10, 2009
EC BS Liberal Studies

Area of Focus: Computer Information Science

Transfer:
56 community college credits
24 Regis University credits

Exams taken - Score:
DSST: Intro to Computers - 69
DSST: Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union – 77
DSST: Western Europe Since 1945 - 59
DSST: Civil War & Reconstruction - 61
DSST: Environment & Humanity - 64
CLEP: A & I Literature - 70
PF: Information Literacy - Pass
PF: English Composition - Pass
EC: World Population - A
EC: World Conflicts since 1900 - B
ACTLF: 6 UL + 6 LL[/SIZE]
Still "discussing" with EC.....I got the letter from my CC advisor stating I had met their requirements for the AS I was pursuing with them AND that I met the requirements for the State of Florida University System for an AA. This was submitted to the LA team at EC and I still got an e-mail saying it was not acceptable...bottom line, I had a CLEP Eng comp and ENC 2210 Professional/Technical, which they say CLEP is NOT accepted at all and the ENC 2210 is Applied Professional, in spite of what my local advisor said in his letter.

I'm going to try to call and see if I can climb further, otherwise I guess it will be either SL or Penn Foster to the rescue....

What bothers me is that I met all the requirements of my local CC and even though I took a speech course that required lots of writing and using MLA and APA guidelines, as well as the Prof/Tec Writing required them as well, the speech course is not noted on the other transcript as a writing (Gordon Rule) course, because I HAD met the state requirements and they weren't going to do the extra paperwork.

By the way, the response from the EC counselor said that if I could submit 3 papers from prior Business Law courses they would submit them to the Dean for review. LOL -- I took those courses at the end of the 1970's.... They know the likelihood of me still having those is nil. Frustrated I am (think Yoda in Star Wars Smile )

Judy
Sorry to hear of all your troubles Judy. If I were you I would just consider taking the Straighterline English Comp and be done with this mess if you can not get a clear answer from EC. My friend did English comp in about 2 1/2 weeks. She said it wasn't bad.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Allison,

Did you friend get it processed through Fort Hays and accepted by EC?

I spoke to EC this morning and they are sticking to their guns.

They say they will accept Penn Foster but they will get back with me on the Straighterline / Fort Hays. I was told there had been discussions on this recently in their organization and she would get back to me with that decision in an e-mail.

Again, they said they would take past graded writing assignments....so, the bottom line is do not get rid of anything. Smile

Judy
Judy she did hers through Fort Hayes. You do not have a research paper from any classes that you have takenn recent times? Hearing what you have gone through I am glad I have kept many of mine.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Unfortunately, no, as I had met both the community college and State of Florida university system requirements, as well as the courses were online. I wrote to the professor for the Professional and Technical Writing class I took and she responded that she did not keep them either but she had written to the online courses administrator to see if they kept the items that came to her via drop box.

She was also confused as her course is one of the harder ones at that level and required MLA and there were 2 major assignments and she said that as a student who had obtained an A in her course she knew I had to have done well on those papers as they made up the bulk of her grades.

Anyway, I called Penn Foster and they have no problem but it is another $90 x 3 credits or $270 which includes texts. You can work at your own pace, but I did not want to spend that money right now. My employer is requiring certain college courses to keep employed. Taking 2 of them this term to the tune of over $1200, and in the spring for another $500-$600. Ouch--

Anyway, I called this morning and asked whether EC will accept the StraighterLine / Fort Hayes credits and they are to let me know. Nothing heard today. If they say yes, I will sign on and get that done as soon as possible.

Otherwise, I may just wait -- as the first course I have to take with UWF required me to purchase the APA book as they will have writing requirements. I may just wait and submit them once graded. That course starts Aug 24 and will be over by the middle of October.

Unless anyone else has any other ideas....I'm open to suggestions.

Judy

P.S. -- NOTE to any prospective Excelsior College students: they are NOT accepting CLEP Eng Comp with essay, not even as a humanities, and other composition courses that are professional, business, technical related are also not applied to their WER, only to Applied Professional. The first e-mail I received regarding the CLEP clearly stated that they are not accepting it at all but, if requested, they will list it on their transcript in case another school might accept it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,116 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU English Career Path? renaissancewoman87 14 4,785 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Finance by test out clarkin16 5 1,879 08-10-2018, 12:37 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  California teaching credential w/ a test-out degree 12save 3 1,591 08-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Last Post: kevinmane
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,837 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,183 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,947 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 4,721 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,295 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 965 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1