Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are current COSC/FEMA options?
I’m trying to bang out some extra free credits. I’m thinking of doing a Bachelors in Liberal Arts COSC and was wondering if anyone has updated info on what they’ll take for fema? I’ve read 3, 6 or no limit (“if on an ACE transcript” whatever that means, I thought they’d all be anyways).
The only way to get FEMA classes on an ACE transcript (that I'm aware of) is to take the classes at EMI in Maryland. IS classes no longer count. My plan is to go the prior learning assessment route and include the ACE accredited classes from FEMA that I took at my state EMA. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it works out. Though if anyone else has tried this your input would be appreciated!
LSU-Shreveport: MBA, Project Management 2023
UMGC: BS Public Safety Administration, minor Emergency Management 2021
Eastern Gateway Community College: AAB Business Management 2019
Credits from Sophia, SDC, FEMA EMI, TEEX, Schmoop, and B&M

Eastern Gateway Community College is free to union members!
Anyone can take advantage by joining Working America.
(05-09-2019, 09:42 AM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote: I’m trying to bang out some extra free credits. I’m thinking of doing a Bachelors in Liberal Arts COSC and was wondering if anyone has updated info on what they’ll take for fema? I’ve read 3, 6 or no limit (“if on an ACE transcript” whatever that means, I thought they’d all be anyways).
From COSC website:

Policy on non-proctored FEMA credits
Non-proctored FEMA credits cannot be used in a major or concentration.  Charter Oak will accept up to 9 credits as free electives towards a degree if the credits are relevant to the degree.  If students are taking non-proctored FEMA credits purely as elective credits and there is no relevance to the degree, a limit of 3 credits is allowed.   There is no limit to the amount of FEMA credits that can be placed in the credit registry. (Relevant Charter Oak degrees would be criminal justice, cyber security, public safety administration.)
Policy on ACE reviewed FEMA credits
There is no limit on the amount of ACE reviewed FEMA credits that can be used towards a major or concentration as long as they meet the degree requirements.

Smile
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

If wanted to go the completely free route you are allowed 3 credits for a liberal arts degree. It's better than nothing.
Thanks for all of the responses. So, I would like to do the 3 free credits for a Liberal Arts degree. How do I know which I can choose from or what to take? I will eventually (possibly) be going for a local Accelerated BSN degree and literally have to check the box for any bachelors degree.
I took FEMA classes through the state police in my state and they counted toward ACE. If you have it available, go for the FEMA Emergency Management Basic Academy.

L0101 Foundations of Emergency Management 6 UL
L0102 Science of Disaster 2 LL
L0103 Planning for Emergency Operations 1 LL
L0105 Public Information and Warning 1 LL

L0146, the other class in the series does not receive ACE credit
LSU-Shreveport: MBA, Project Management 2023
UMGC: BS Public Safety Administration, minor Emergency Management 2021
Eastern Gateway Community College: AAB Business Management 2019
Credits from Sophia, SDC, FEMA EMI, TEEX, Schmoop, and B&M

Eastern Gateway Community College is free to union members!
Anyone can take advantage by joining Working America.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 3,013 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,888 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 791 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,423 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,109 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,350 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,828 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,268 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,925 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,674 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso