Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happened to music?
Maniac Craniac Wrote:A thousand years from now, some bright young doctoral candidate will write a dissertation exploring literary parallels between "Lonely Girl" and Homer's Ilead.

Oh, man! I would LOVE to be around to read that! :roflol:
~ Laura ~
[SIZE=1]CLEP/DSST
--- 120/120 :hurray:
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature | English Composition w/ Essay | College Mathematics | English Literature | American Literature | Humanities
| Art of the Western World | Western Civilization I | Western Civilization II | History of United States I | History of United States II | Social Sciences and History | Astronomy | Introduction to Computing | Introductory Sociology | Introduction to World Religions | The Civil War and Reconstruction | A History of the Vietnam War | Western Europe Since 1945 | Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union | Introduction to the Modern Middle East | Environment and Humanity | World Conflicts Since 1900 ECE | FEMAs taken: 24 | [COLOR="Navy"]TESC FlashTrack course - "War and American Society."
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Officially graduated on September 9, 2011!!![/SIZE]
PonyGirl93 Wrote:For ex., my mom would die of a heart attack if she heard any of Kesha's music.
OMG!!! That's exactly the singer I was referring to in this thread!!
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
burbuja0512 Wrote:Smile Sounds like we may have similar parents. I wasn't allowed to drink coca cola (it's a hard drink) or see any movie that wasn't rated G. Even then, our movies would get shut off for any situations that were even mildly uncomfortable. I remember once having a movie shut off because someone used the term "opposite sex." The word 'sex' even in that totally harmless context meant that the movie was bad.

Not to knock strict parents, but kids are smart. They can understand why things are bad if you have a conversation and let them draw their own conclusions.
Uhyep, sounds familiar.

purpleteen Wrote:OMG!!! That's exactly the singer I was referring to in this thread!!
Abouta zeese i had afunny feelingg Big Grin
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
Maniac Craniac Wrote:"Reality" is one of the least apropos ways of describing it.
This is where the core of the discussion lies. The question is not "Is this alright for our generation?" -- but "Was this ever right?"

Some stuff out there makes me sick. In my earlier teen years, I knew I wasn't fond of much of the music, but I wasn't sure why. Now that I understand a bit more of what they're saying... :ack:

The [ahem] unsavory behavior itself is ancient; it's just exalted now, immortalized in popular music.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
purpleteen Wrote:Why is it that nowadays a lot of singers have such inappropriate songs?! Why do they make all the people listening to it think that all these immoral things are what should be done. The people listening consider these singers "role models" when they are really not! I am a teenager but I listen to older songs...why weren't the olden songs as trashy as the songs today?
Cornelius Van Til (a philosopher) wrote that culture is religion externalized. In a cultural context, religion has a broader definition than usual. It can be defined as follows: an object of praise and reverence, and the beliefs that can be inferred or deduced from this praise and reverence. Thus, whatever or whoever a society praises and reveres is the god of that society.

What does today's music praise? The answer is the lawless autonomy of man. Autonomy simply means to be under nobody's authority. Lawlessness is the lack of morality. Think about it: today's music tells you to do whatever you desire (usually to seek pleasure), with no regard at all to the morality of your actions or your accountability to a higher authority.

However, this does not answer the question of why today's music is less moral than yesterday's music. The answer is simply that our culture has shifted from a more or less Biblical culture to a humanistic culture. Its impossible to pinpoint exactly when this shift began, but the 1925 Scopes trial is often noted as a watershed moment in America's cultural revolution. In other words, our culture (including it's music) has gradually exchanged the authority of God for the authority of the individual.

Some may argue that a moral culture (and hence moral music) can be achieved without the authority of God, but without sufficient authority morality becomes nothing more than individual preference. If we desire moral culture, we must reaffirm Biblical authority in culture.

I apologize if this comes off as too preachy or too deep, but questions of morality & religion are inextricably linked, and I do tend to swim in the deep end Smile
Wrote some stuff about "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" and concluded with the freedom to do good works despite there being lots of rubbish music.
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
I put most of the blame on hip hop and rap even though i enjoy them. Those two genres reinforce the single mom, no father in the picture lifestyle that is so harmful to the country.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
This will put a smile on someones face....the song is from 1958 but the lyrics are from 1911.....100 years ago....timeless...maybe the best make up song ever???? this was from back in the day when we used to do something called slow dancing Wink

YouTube - It's All In The Game - Tommy Edwards
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Geezer Wrote:This will put a smile on someones face....the song is from 1958 but the lyrics are from 1911.....100 years ago....timeless...maybe the best make up song ever???? this was from back in the day when we used to do something called slow dancing Wink

YouTube - It's All In The Game - Tommy Edwards
I miss the 50's even though I missed the 50's. Hehe, not even my mother was around for them, but here's a link that will clarify what I mean.

YouTube - Everly Brothers - All I have to do is dream + Cathy's Clown
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

YES!!! I love the Everly Brothers, and that "All I Have to do is Dream" is one of my favorites by them! Roy Orbison also had a few songs that I really enjoy, but if I start listing all the artists I enjoy from around then I'll be posting all night. :p Suffice it to say, that's one of my favorite eras for several genres of music. It's fun music! Big Grin
~ Laura ~
[SIZE=1]CLEP/DSST
--- 120/120 :hurray:
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature | English Composition w/ Essay | College Mathematics | English Literature | American Literature | Humanities
| Art of the Western World | Western Civilization I | Western Civilization II | History of United States I | History of United States II | Social Sciences and History | Astronomy | Introduction to Computing | Introductory Sociology | Introduction to World Religions | The Civil War and Reconstruction | A History of the Vietnam War | Western Europe Since 1945 | Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union | Introduction to the Modern Middle East | Environment and Humanity | World Conflicts Since 1900 ECE | FEMAs taken: 24 | [COLOR="Navy"]TESC FlashTrack course - "War and American Society."
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Officially graduated on September 9, 2011!!![/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  THE chair... that got a country music star arrested. LevelUP 5 333 04-21-2024, 06:17 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Olympics: What happened to Russia? bjcheung77 6 828 07-27-2021, 01:54 AM
Last Post: Zo_ey
  What happened to all of the educational channels? sanantone 21 2,779 08-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Last Post: UptonSinclair
  Pre-Test Playlist – Music – Share Yours! Jonathan Whatley 6 1,344 12-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Bibby
  A funny thing happened.... Lyanne 7 2,215 03-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Firedup4Jesus
  What kind of music do you guys listen too twitterflix 10 2,719 09-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Ruddigore
  Wow....what happened to the forum yesterday? Greggy_D 9 2,148 04-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Last Post: knucyt
  Best study spot & music anar579 4 2,231 05-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Last Post: anar579