Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happens if you exceed the maximum credits allowed at one time at TESU?
So TESU stipulates that you can only take a maximum of 16 credits at one time (this includes overlapping semesters).  I just completed a semester where I had 19 concurrent credits, and nothing was said about it.

Now I just registered for upcoming December/January semesters where I am taking 12 sh in Dec. and 15 sh in Jan.  I sent an email to academic advising about a question about how one of my classes would be applied to the degree.  They answered the question and also said "Also, I noticed that you have registered for a total of 27 credits in during December and January. You are not permitted to take more than 16 credits at any one time. I recommend that you drop 12 credits of the courses that you have registered for. so that you comply with the maximum number of credits allowed."  

My plan right now is to just go ahead and take the courses as they are already scheduled.  But my question is:  Will there be any repercussions if I do this?  Will they say my credit is invalid or something like that?  I already exceeded the max sh by 3 in my last semester, but obviously this is a more blatant violation of the rule.  Should I ask academic advising?  I have a feeling if I ask them directly they will they say I can't take that many classes.

I really want to finish this degree as fast as possible so I can start applying to jobs.  I know I can handle the course load as several classes are easy that I am just taking to fulfill the general education requirement.
I would guess that they don't have an automated way to enforce the limit (or that it doesn't work). The simplest way would be to have the registration system refuse to let you register for that 17th credit, which it obviously didn't. You are definitely risking being dropped from courses without warning, although I doubt they would actually take credit away that was already earned successfully. It's hard to advise you to try to get away with it, but I think you're correct in thinking that if you ask, it could trigger an action that otherwise wouldn't occur. An advisor probably can't grant you an exception, so if you want to do this within the rules, you'd probably have to petition the dean.

I'm guessing you're in the comprehensive plan? If so, you're in danger of hitting the 36cr limit of the comprehensive plan before the year is out as well.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-27-2017, 04:44 PM)davewill Wrote: I would guess that they don't have an automated way to enforce the limit (or that it doesn't work). The simplest way would be to have the registration system refuse to let you register for that 17th credit, which it obviously didn't. You are definitely risking being dropped from courses without warning, although I doubt they would actually take credit away that was already earned successfully. It's hard to advise you to try to get away with it, but I think you're correct in thinking that if you ask, it would likely trigger an action.

I'm guessing you're in the comprehensive plan? If so, you're in danger of hitting the 36cr limit of the comprehensive plan before the year is out as well.

Yeah I just got an email about running over the 36 sh limit.  Thanks for the advice.
(11-27-2017, 04:44 PM)davewill Wrote: I would guess that they don't have an automated way to enforce the limit (or that it doesn't work). The simplest way would be to have the registration system refuse to let you register for that 17th credit, which it obviously didn't. You are definitely risking being dropped from courses without warning, although I doubt they would actually take credit away that was already earned successfully. It's hard to advise you to try to get away with it, but I think you're correct in thinking that if you ask, it could trigger an action that otherwise wouldn't occur. An advisor probably can't grant you an exception, so if you want to do this within the rules, you'd probably have to petition the dean.

I think I am going to drop a few TESU general education classes and just take them on StraighterLine.
csyzarc, you should ONLY take courses at TESU if it can't be found elsewhere on Straighterline/Study.com or another cheap ACE/NCCRS provider. Heck, if you can take the CLEP/DSST or TECEP/UExcel, that would be another option. The only course you should take at TESU is the capstone and courses that are hard to find from another provider to transfer in - such as the AOS/Area of Study courses.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-27-2017, 08:28 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: csyzarc, you should ONLY take courses at TESU if it can't be found elsewhere on Straighterline/Study.com or another cheap ACE/NCCRS provider.  Heck, if you can take the CLEP/DSST or TECEP/UExcel, that would be another option.  The only course you should take at TESU is the capstone and courses that are hard to find from another provider to transfer in - such as the AOS/Area of Study courses.

Unfortunately I just realized this today, and already wasted money on a Eng Comp 2 course at TESU which I could have done through straightline..from now on I'm only going to take what is necessary through TESU.  Just signed up for three straighterline courses and submitted a request to drop 3 from TESU.  How long does it take for the drop request to take effect if you submitted the withdrawal request form (account on hold bc exceeded 36sh)?  Do they ever deny a withdrawal request?

Also, do straighterline courses just get added to TESU transcripts as Credit/Non credit? or is there a grade attached?
(11-27-2017, 11:24 AM)csyzarc Wrote: So TESU stipulates that you can only take a maximum of 16 credits at one time (this includes overlapping semesters).  I just completed a semester where I had 19 concurrent credits, and nothing was said about it.

Now I just registered for upcoming December/January semesters where I am taking 12 sh in Dec. and 15 sh in Jan.  I sent an email to academic advising about a question about how one of my classes would be applied to the degree.  They answered the question and also said "Also, I noticed that you have registered for a total of 27 credits in during December and January. You are not permitted to take more than 16 credits at any one time. I recommend that you drop 12 credits of the courses that you have registered for. so that you comply with the maximum number of credits allowed."  

My plan right now is to just go ahead and take the courses as they are already scheduled.  But my question is:  Will there be any repercussions if I do this?  Will they say my credit is invalid or something like that?  I already exceeded the max sh by 3 in my last semester, but obviously this is a more blatant violation of the rule.  Should I ask academic advising?  I have a feeling if I ask them directly they will they say I can't take that many classes.

I really want to finish this degree as fast as possible so I can start applying to jobs.  I know I can handle the course load as several classes are easy that I am just taking to fulfill the general education requirement.

Ohhh I'm very interested in finding out the consequences if any.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,926 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,617 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,023 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,583 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,293 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,284 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,322 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,817 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore