Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the benefit of removing transferred credits from your permanent record?
I received this email from COSC:

You may elect to remove credits from your record. Please note the following credit removal deadline: 2/23/14. If you wish to have transferred credits removed from your record, you have until this date to do so. If you opt to remove credits, you must submit your request to the Registrar’s Office at: registrar@charteroak.edu. Your request must be made using your Charter Oak e-mail account.

I'm assuming since this is an option some people must do this but why? :confused:
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
soliloquy Wrote:I received this email from COSC:

You may elect to remove credits from your record. Please note the following credit removal deadline: 2/23/14. If you wish to have transferred credits removed from your record, you have until this date to do so. If you opt to remove credits, you must submit your request to the Registrar’s Office at: registrar@charteroak.edu. Your request must be made using your Charter Oak e-mail account.

I'm assuming since this is an option some people must do this but why? :confused:

The main advantage would be if you had credits that were not being used anywhere in your degree plan other than free electives, and those courses were bringing your GPA down. I had a couple of courses that I realized I didn't need and asked to have them removed, but my deadline had already passed.

Have you gotten your advising worksheet yet?
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
This will help your COSC GPA since COSC includes transfer grades. The benefit of this will be when you apply for jobs or internships that require or prefer a minimum GPA. Having a high GPA can also qualify you for some GS-6 or GS-7 jobs with the federal government taking the place of the graduate credits/degree requirement or equivalent experience. For graduate schools, this will not help you unless you want to unethically hide part of your academic record and risk expulsion or degree revocation in the future. Most graduate programs require transcripts from every college attended. Occasionally, some won't require transcripts from 2-year schools.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:This will help your COSC GPA since COSC includes transfer grades. The benefit of this will be when you apply for jobs or internships that require or prefer a minimum GPA. Having a high GPA can also qualify you for some GS-6 or GS-7 jobs with the federal government taking the place of the graduate credits/degree requirement or equivalent experience. For graduate schools, this will not help you unless you want to unethically hide part of your academic record and risk expulsion or degree revocation in the future. Most graduate programs require transcripts from every college attended. Occasionally, some won't require transcripts from 2-year schools.

I don't have any grades I need to drop. I have a 4.0 so I guess I shouldn't worry about it then?

soliloquy Wrote:I don't have any grades I need to drop. I have a 4.0 so I guess I shouldn't worry about it then?

I wouldn't worry about it, if it were me.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
There are a few reasons to remove items from your transcript, all perfectly ethical.

Your transcript for THAT degree only needs courses used in that degree, so extras can be removed. Why?
1. If the credits are unused in any degree, you may want to "save" them for a future degree.
2. All credit sources inside your COSC will generate a request for transcripts- so if your COSC degree has 5 transcripts inside of it, perhaps removing some courses will bring that number down to 4 (saves $ later).
3. Appearance of more focused study/presents a better image (may or may not apply to you)
4. Removal of poor grades / raise GPA (if applies)
5. You have duplicate credits/class and want to remove it.
6. You want to duplicate a credit/class by retaking it.
cookderosa Wrote:There are a few reasons to remove items from your transcript, all perfectly ethical.

Your transcript for THAT degree only needs courses used in that degree, so extras can be removed. Why?
1. If the credits are unused in any degree, you may want to "save" them for a future degree.
2. All credit sources inside your COSC will generate a request for transcripts- so if your COSC degree has 5 transcripts inside of it, perhaps removing some courses will bring that number down to 4 (saves $ later).
3. Appearance of more focused study/presents a better image (may or may not apply to you)
4. Removal of poor grades / raise GPA (if applies)
5. You have duplicate credits/class and want to remove it.
6. You want to duplicate a credit/class by retaking it.

This is the one I was thinking about...if the excess credits could be used towards another degree. Hmmmm. I assumed removing them would be ethical if COSC is allowing it.

soliloquy Wrote:This is the one I was thinking about...if the excess credits could be used towards another degree. Hmmmm. I assumed removing them would be ethical if COSC is allowing it.

Putting an unused class on a transcript in effect "uses it up" without getting to use it toward a degree. You're essentially allowing it to be discarded.
I've read threads where people ask if taking CLEP instead of a class is "ethical." I'd put this in the same category. If you follow the rules, you're not being unethical unless you believe the rule is wrong. (and there is a poster here of that mind-set, so you'll have to decide how YOU feel and act accordingly)
soliloquy Wrote:This is the one I was thinking about...if the excess credits could be used towards another degree. Hmmmm. I assumed removing them would be ethical if COSC is allowing it.

I don't know how COSC works, but I know of a few colleges that require a certain number of NEW credits for subsequent degrees. New credits are credits earned after the last degree was conferred. I have transcripts with dates and semester/year of when I completed courses.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I forgot, you can't use those credits toward another COSC degree anyway. The removal of those credits is permanent. By the way, not once did I say using COSC's academic forgiveness policy was unethical. I said that hiding your academic record from graduate schools is unethical. Even if you use COSC's academic forgiveness option, you will still be required to send all transcripts when applying to graduate schools.

I would use this option for loose graduate credits I wanted to use for a future graduate degree since some programs won't take transfer credits that were used in a prior degree. However, I don't think Soliloquy has any graduate credits. Again, this is not using the policy in a way to hide part of your academic record because you will still be submitting all transcripts when applying to the graduate program.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,118 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,287 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,699 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,855 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,616 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,381 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,805 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Basic question about catalog of record TESU fork 2 927 05-22-2018, 06:01 PM
  Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan warriortaupou 4 1,429 05-17-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  Upper Level Credits at Excelsior - via ACE? Silly_Me 27 10,735 05-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Last Post: scout2family