Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the best advice you would give to someone starting this captivating journey?
As someone who loves learning and has a strong interest in subjects such as psychology, philosophy and languages, but proceeded to get training and education as non-university degrees in music and photography, I am very happy to have found this forum and to find out that it is possible to get a degree from home, in about one year, and at a very small cost. From a very young age, I knew I was going to get a university education, and up until a few years ago, I thought that was never going to be the case. Even more so, at the moment, not having a degree is causing me problems and barring me from a new project/career that I want to start, which is what has led me here. I am fairly certain I have found a good place and will be creating new goals to finally get a degree, in the very near future.

So, if you were going to give advice to someone starting out on this journey (not just me, but to anyone starting and who might happen to read this thread), what would you tell him or her?
Kev Wrote:As someone who loves learning and has a strong interest in subjects such as psychology, philosophy and languages, but proceeded to get training and education as non-university degrees in music and photography, I am very happy to have found this forum and to find out that it is possible to get a degree from home, in about one year, and at a very small cost. From a very young age, I knew I was going to get a university education, and up until a few years ago, I thought that was never going to be the case. Even more so, at the moment, not having a degree is causing me problems and barring me from a new project/career that I want to start, which is what has led me here. I am fairly certain I have found a good place and will be creating new goals to finally get a degree, in the very near future.

So, if you were going to give advice to someone starting out on this journey (not just me, but to anyone starting and who might happen to read this thread), what would you tell him or her?

That they should have started yesterday.
Start.

​Do something today that moves your goal forward. Apply to a school, order a transcript, write a goal, ask a question... Then do it again tomorrow, and each day after that until you succeed.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Don't believe me.

This is your future. You need to always view advice with skepticism. Educate yourself. A school's general catalog is authoritative. A school advisor's verbal statement is not authoritative. If a school advisor says something - even if it is in writing - that conflicts with the general catalog, expect the general catalog to win. Make sure you dig deep and look in the right places so that you make decisions based on facts and not opinions. Take the opinions of many and find what is true for you.

What is easy for someone else may not be easy for you. Subjects you are interested in are easier.

Keep asking questions.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Why are you reading these forums instead of taking a course or studying for a CLEP, etc.!!
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Someone posted in their "I'm Done!" advice post a while back that they were glad that they made a plan and did not deviate from it. Sometimes we see people here who spend months and even years changing their plans, switching their majors, obsessing over grad school instead of working toward their bachelors, etc., etc. Create a careful plan and make that the goal, then don't look at other things unless a new credit source opens up.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,571 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,163 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  College grads overestimating starting salaries... bjcheung77 7 636 05-10-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Article about DegreeForum journey smartdegree 11 1,285 02-19-2023, 05:32 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,023 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 1,971 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Superstars get educated too! 13 years after starting... bjcheung77 2 589 05-16-2022, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Wanted to Give Thanks TINASAM 8 1,275 04-13-2022, 12:48 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 682 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium