Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College grads overestimating starting salaries...
When I was young and in college, I didn't think of salaries much, I wanted to get a job (any job really) just to get started in the workforce... Back then, we were paid minimum wage, I quickly looked for other jobs until I found something interesting, starting pay was 25K/year, I kept looking for better, and it went higher and higher each year until it stalled at about 45K...

The rest is history... Anyways - Here's an article where it indicates starting salaries of recent college grads at about $56K, but many grads are 'thinking' they should be getting starting salaries of about 85K.  Well, it all depends on which industry and position they're looking at, but that's the general idea in the article.

Link: New college graduates are overestimating their starting salaries by $30,000, report finds (msn.com)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
IMO. Salaries aren’t higher today if you index for inflation. In  fact we’re prolly worse off. College grads today are doing jobs that 20 years ago wouldn’t even consider and even worse the non degree holders are making less money today. The “good jobs” for non college grads are all but gone.

But yea Bj back in the day we just worked. We started at the bottom and worked out butts off. We didn’t complain about the money. We didn’t even think about asking for raises. We knew we were green horns. It’s just different times my friend.
[-] The following 2 users Like Pats20's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(05-10-2023, 12:41 PM)Pats20 Wrote: IMO. Salaries aren’t higher today if you index for inflation. In  fact we’re prolly worse off. College grads today are doing jobs that 20 years ago wouldn’t even consider and even worse the non degree holders are making less money today. The “good jobs” for non college grads are all but gone.

But yea Bj back in the day we just worked. We started at the bottom and worked out butts off. We didn’t complain about the money. We didn’t even think about asking for raises. We knew we were green horns. It’s just different times my friend.

I don't know about you, but I certainly asked about my raise every year. If I wasn't getting one, I was looking for a new job.
(05-10-2023, 12:59 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 12:41 PM)Pats20 Wrote: IMO. Salaries aren’t higher today if you index for inflation. In  fact we’re prolly worse off. College grads today are doing jobs that 20 years ago wouldn’t even consider and even worse the non degree holders are making less money today. The “good jobs” for non college grads are all but gone.

I don't know about you, but I certainly asked about my raise every year. If I wasn't getting one, I was looking for a new job.
Maybe I looked for other higher paying jobs if I wasn’t progressing as I hoped but I’ve never asked for a raise in my life. I’m certainly not suggesting that people shouldn’t ask for raises, I’m just stating me.
I think that, at least a few decades ago, people didn't ask for raises as much. The expectation was that you'd get a raise. Sometimes, you did have to ask. But the social contract was that your employer was supposed to take care of you, so you'd work hard for them.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-10-2023, 01:24 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I think that, at least a few decades ago, people didn't ask for raises as much. The expectation was that you'd get a raise. Sometimes, you did have to ask. But the social contract was that your employer was supposed to take care of you, so you'd work hard for them.
Rachel you are absolutely correct. You hit the nail on the head. There is no loyalty anymore between companies and their employees. I can completely understand why people today would ask for a raise and yet at the same time I see a lot who want all the money but don’t want to do the work.
Unfortunately, I think (most) employers figured out that there are always people who are willing to work without getting a raise, so they're no longer automatic. When they are offered, they can be insultingly low. I can understand not having any sort of loyalty to and not wanting to work hard for an employer like that. Why work hard when you're not going to be affected either way?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
I think most employers figured out that they don’t have to be loyal     Because it negatively affects their bottom line. I’m a firm believer in the philosophy that a happy employee is a productive and loyal employee. That will fix my bottom line.

The numbers people that are running corporations don’t see that because that doesn’t show clearly on a balance sheet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 196 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 307 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 620 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 196 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 188 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor