Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the name of the idiot's guide study book being referred in this QUOTED post?
I'm taking A&I Lit, and the person that wrote the quoted post below referred to the "idiots guide" as the book he/she relied on to pass.
THEY NEVER ACTUALLY MENTIONED THE COMPLETE  TITLE OF THE IDIOTS GUIDE.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE BOOK (IDIOTS GUIDE) THEY ARE REFERRING TO??

"I also used the Idiots Guide. It was sufficient for me to pass. I made my own flashcards from it and for only a few things did additional look up on Wikipedia. When I don't have IC I like to turn my study material into flashcards by typing the material into a word doc. Then I cut it out and glue it on flashcards. By the time I've done this I've reviewed it three times - reading it, writing it, and glueing it. Then I take the cards around with me and study the material whenever I have a few minutes available or longer. I focus on the things that I am not able to keep in my brain. I know that I am ready when I know the material on the cards.

Check out some of the other threads on what to focus on. At this point I don't remember too much of the specifics of the questions. I do recall that there were at least a few on Thoureau, Emerson, and the Transcendalists, also Jonathan Edwards, and the characters of the Great Gatsby and of the Sound and the Fury, what the Yellow Wallpaper was about, the Puritans, Walt Whitman, TS Eliot's Wasteland and Prufrock, Mark Twain, and the Harlem Renaissnance. Pay attention to the excerpts in the Idiots Guide that give you the actual text of novels, poems and sermons. There were some questions where you have to identify who wrote it and what it meant. Remember, you only have to find the right answer from the choices. It is not fill in the blank - thank goodness!

I feel that if you know the material in the Idiot's Guide you will be fine. I like to say that I know a whole lot 'about' Amer Lit without actually having read much of it. It got me 6 credits and maybe someday when I have more time I may read some of what I haven't read, which is quite a lot."
I don’t know what the idiots guide is but I took this CLEP cold and passed. You have to read a portion of literature and then answer questions (multiple choice). Things like, “ what do you think the author meant by...” or how does the word, “flight” show what the author was wanting to convey. There are plenty of quizlet cards for terms you may see as well. If you can read a poem or other literature and understand the “hidden” meaning or feeling then you should be ok. Not sure how you could study for that part of it. There are the terms you should know which can be studied of course.
It has been my observation that new people on this forum do not receive answers when posting questions but it a great source for information. Good luck on your CLEP! Don’t sweat this one though.
(03-17-2019, 05:31 PM)rackcity92 Wrote:
I'm taking A&I Lit, and the person that wrote the quoted post below referred to the "idiots guide" as the book he/she relied on to pass.
THEY NEVER ACTUALLY MENTIONED THE COMPLETE  TITLE OF THE IDIOTS GUIDE.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE BOOK (IDIOTS GUIDE) THEY ARE REFERRING TO??

"I also used the Idiots Guide. It was sufficient for me to pass. I made my own flashcards from it and for only a few things did additional look up on Wikipedia. When I don't have IC I like to turn my study material into flashcards by typing the material into a word doc. Then I cut it out and glue it on flashcards. By the time I've done this I've reviewed it three times - reading it, writing it, and glueing it. Then I take the cards around with me and study the material whenever I have a few minutes available or longer. I focus on the things that I am not able to keep in my brain. I know that I am ready when I know the material on the cards.

Check out some of the other threads on what to focus on. At this point I don't remember too much of the specifics of the questions. I do recall that there were at least a few on Thoureau, Emerson, and the Transcendalists, also Jonathan Edwards, and the characters of the Great Gatsby and of the Sound and the Fury, what the Yellow Wallpaper was about, the Puritans, Walt Whitman, TS Eliot's Wasteland and Prufrock, Mark Twain, and the Harlem Renaissnance. Pay attention to the excerpts in the Idiots Guide that give you the actual text of novels, poems and sermons. There were some questions where you have to identify who wrote it and what it meant. Remember, you only have to find the right answer from the choices. It is not fill in the blank - thank goodness!

I feel that if you know the material in the Idiot's Guide you will be fine. I like to say that I know a whole lot 'about' Amer Lit without actually having read much of it. It got me 6 credits and maybe someday when I have more time I may read some of what I haven't read, which is quite a lot."

The book in this post is Idiot's Guide to American Literature and the post refers to the American Literature exam. Perhaps it's in the wrong folder, but while Idiot's guide is perfect for this exam (also the only book I used- it was perfect) it's the wrong prep for A&IL.

A&IL is 100% reading comprehension, making this the easiest exam for some, but the hardest for others.
Here's the test- can you read classics, poetry, KJV Bible, Shakespeare, etc. and understand it? The passage followed by a question like "what did 'fire' mean in the passage?" Literal fire, passion, rage, or foreshadowing of death.... you'll be good. If that makes your brain melt, save it for later and study American Lit - which you can memorize book titles, dates, characters, authors, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At 60, She's Becoming a Nurse and Published a Book Jonathan Whatley 4 315 04-04-2024, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 418 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 260 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 738 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 0 230 01-25-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 957 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 373 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,115 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,331 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  No study.com any more, and take crash course on coppersmith? qiaoyiren 10 2,332 04-12-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az