Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the point of school?
I think the school system is just another machine. I'm in it for the paper.

I learn from PCStats, CNet and Google.
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
I'll pipe in here. This is something I've often wondered about myself. I graduated high school in 2007, but I didn't start towards any type of degree until January of this year. The primary reasons it took me so long to get started was 1. that sense of overwhelming relief when you're finally done with a lifetime of book work (aka, graduated high school), and 2. it seemed unnecessary at the time. Also, my mother's an English Journalism major and looked over the stuff I'd have to know to pass the literature CLEPs and didn't really want me filling my head with that stuff. Who would have guessed I could pass them without getting the full Faulkner experience! Big Grin

Why am I working towards a degree now? The main thing was to be ready just in case, someday, the laws of the land change enough to require teachers (including homeschooling moms) to have a degree. Of course, my thinking there says if the laws go that far, it's only a matter of time before they require a teaching degree, but at least I'll be one step closer...

So, to sum up, I'm working towards a degree because one day I want to homeschool my kids, even if the laws change.

Hope that makes sense to someone other than me. Smile
~ Laura ~
[SIZE=1]CLEP/DSST
--- 120/120 :hurray:
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature | English Composition w/ Essay | College Mathematics | English Literature | American Literature | Humanities
| Art of the Western World | Western Civilization I | Western Civilization II | History of United States I | History of United States II | Social Sciences and History | Astronomy | Introduction to Computing | Introductory Sociology | Introduction to World Religions | The Civil War and Reconstruction | A History of the Vietnam War | Western Europe Since 1945 | Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union | Introduction to the Modern Middle East | Environment and Humanity | World Conflicts Since 1900 ECE | FEMAs taken: 24 | [COLOR="Navy"]TESC FlashTrack course - "War and American Society."
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Officially graduated on September 9, 2011!!![/SIZE]
First of all, because no one will even look at you for a decent job without a degree. Second, it prepares you for your career (assuming you get a job in an area related to your degree). And some of it is just fun and interesting. Lastly, I'm 16 what else am I gonna do? hilarious
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]B.A. in Psychology from TESC in 9 months
My degree plan: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...elp-2.html
Maniac Craniac Wrote:Inspired by another thread, I am working on some soul-searching. I am an idealist, but have become disillusioned with the reality of formal education.

What say you? What do you hope to gain from college that you couldn't gain otherwise, beyond just a degree? Would you be doing the same thing even if the degree served no purpose in your life?
I must say that I have posed the same question to myself.If you are in a University you can gain alot of quality insight and help from your professors.
But I must agree with the other guys that college is expensive,so I would recommend that you research,and find a more cost efficient avenue.As for the direction you would want to go with your life try Life Purpose Planning.
Take it easy.
rmroberts Wrote:First of all, because no one will even look at you for a decent job without a degree.
That is a myth. Certain jobs, yes, do require degrees and in others it is preferable, but there are many, many, many (often overlooked) jobs that require no degree at all yet still over good salary and benefits.

Very few of my friends have degrees, and they are all doing just fine. Many of them (like myself) are even able to work part time and still make a full living.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

rickyjo Wrote:I think the school system is just another machine. I'm in it for the paper.

I learn from PCStats, CNet and Google.

Ditto. I learn from those same resources, and some similar ones. Smile
Maniac Craniac Wrote:Very few of my friends have degrees, and they are all doing just fine. Many of them (like myself) are even able to work part time and still make a full living.

could you please give some examples of part time jobs that make a full living... inquiring minds want to knowBig Grin
creative Wrote:could you please give some examples of part time jobs that make a full living... inquiring minds want to knowBig Grin

When I was doing IT consulting in DC, I had a decent amount of clients, and only spent 10-15 hours a week actually working, but was able to make as much as I could have at a desk job. Money was definitely nice, but I got burnt out on it after a few years.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
Maniac Craniac Wrote:That is a myth. Certain jobs, yes, do require degrees and in others it is preferable, but there are many, many, many (often overlooked) jobs that require no degree at all yet still over good salary and benefits.

Very few of my friends have degrees, and they are all doing just fine. Many of them (like myself) are even able to work part time and still make a full living.

I agree with this for the most part. Surely having a degree looks great if you want to go interview for a job compared to if you don't have a degree. It will without a doubt get you some interviews you'd never otherwise get. That's why I'm here...to get that degree just in case one day I need to get that interview that requires it.

Certainly, you can't say you can't get a decent job without a degree. I know quite a few six-figure earners (including myself) who have not spent one day in a college classroom. I personally have achieved the level of Chief Operating Officer for my company and a very comfortable living without the benefit of a degree, or for that matter hardly any college credit. I had 6 total credits through distance learning at our local community college when I found this website a few months ago...now I have 18 and counting.

And yes, I too, know people who work very minimal hours and make very large incomes...in financial services industries like mortgage, insurance and investing where being good at closing deals and building a repeat customer/referral base (which does take years of hard work) have paid off in a way that you can make big money and work part time. And in those fields while you do need specialized training and licenses, you do not need a degree at all to be wildly successful.

Nevertheless, I will strongly encourage my teenage son (who is starting his Junior year in high school) to get his degree. It will open doors he could not otherwise open. Of that I am certain.
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
It's not necessarily about getting a job either.

My dh does not have a college degree and it has absolutely frustrated him to no end to have to train his supervisors and managers at his previous employer of 15 years. For no reason other than they had a degree (any flippin degree!) and he didn't.

Now he is doing contract work for only slight more than he used to make, but that was after a year of unemployment and contract work does not come with any benefits either.

There are lots of decent jobs that don't require a degree, but sadly no matter how good one is at the job, many employers have a degree as a requirement for promotions.
M.
Mom of 11

Graduated 6, still home educating 5

Credits from CC classes:
eng 1113 freshman comp 1
eng comp 2
pos 1113 american fed gov't (political sci.)
spa 1103 spanish 1
bio 2123 human ecology
his 1493 american history civil war era - present
phi 1113 intro to philosophy
soc 1113 intro to sociology
total credits 24 hours
gpa 3.12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 297 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,079 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,525 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,587 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 909 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 557 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,064 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,653 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 672 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  For Sale: Virtual High School with AP bjcheung77 11 1,739 06-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore