Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is this AAS BOG Pierpont degree I see discussed
Quick question... What is this AAS BOG degree I see discussed? And is it only for WV students? What's the advantage of this route?
In reality it is an associates in general education degree, my local college has an AGE that is almost identical. However it doesn’t require you take any classes at Pierpont. The main benefit is you can have a concentration added to it, like an AAS.

You must have 12 credits from an actual College and you must have certain areas completed (ex: math, English, etc).

It is easy to obtain if you have the right credit mix and doesn’t cost anything except the cost of sending your transcripts.

There are other stipulations but that is the gist of it.

If you post what credits you already have and where they are from someone will chime in letting you know if it’s something you should look in to further. Or apply at pierpont and send your transcripts.
It's not for me. It's more of an information gathering for parents of teens that are struggling in traditional HS programs. For example, our state has a 24 college cr GenED diploma that can be substituted for a traditiona HS diploma.
But I'm interested in finding out what other programs exist out there for students that might otherwise "drop out" of HS altogether.
I know of so many students that just struggle in traditional HS. So I'm just trying to research alternatives out there.
Plus, I'm studying HigherEdStudentAffairs and would like to be able to advise students of ALL the options they have to earn a college degree!
From what I see, HS today isn't productive for most college bound students. And for students that struggle in HS, they may otherwise drop out. So having knowledge of alternatives to share with other parents is extremely useful.
Unfortunately, I've been jaded from my experiences with our local middle and high schools and how they've perpetuated generational poverty and illiteracy and innumeracy. They know the student population they have attending, yet they are not doing anything substantial to close the gaps with these kids. And in our case, they refused to provide what was needed (yet it was what they provide to some of the students, but repeatedly refused provide to my foster kids.) Hence we were pushed out to the private sector, yet it was the best thing in the long run, as it resulted in closing gaps and proper instructional methods. And one blew them all out of the water on the level of academic success that the student obtained (no thanks to the public school system.) Thank goodness for local volunteer OrtonGillingham tutors (at a not for profit group using Alphabetic Phonics and a volunteer foster/adopt Mom who tutored using Wilson Reading 2 years twice a week for an hour and then an hour travel time both days each way- so huge commitment but so worth it in the end!) Kiddo graduated as Jr a year ahead of cohort class with 33 college credits. And then earned an associate degree at 17 the following Spring a month before cohort class graduated from HS, and is working on finishing up a bachelor degree now by 20 after a couple rocky semesters mixed in, but seems back on track again finally! So I'm all for alternatives to the traditional b&m f2f classrooms of the last Century! Current public education seems outdated and inefficient. When so many kids graduate or drop out without having learned how to read and write proficiently nor proficient in foundational math skills, I don't see the value in the end product. It definitely doesn't pass a cost benefit analysis in my neck of the country. The money our state pays every year in education tends to be in the top slots for per student spending, so its not a lack of money being thrown at education that is the issue in this state!
(06-20-2018, 09:00 PM)miah Wrote: It's not for me. It's more of an information gathering for parents of teens that are struggling in traditional HS programs. For example, our state has a 24 college cr GenED diploma that can be substituted for a traditiona HS diploma.
But I'm interested in finding out what other programs exist out there for students that might otherwise "drop out" of HS altogether.
I know of so many students that just struggle in traditional HS. So I'm just trying to research alternatives out there.
Plus, I'm studying HigherEdStudentAffairs and would like to be able to advise students of ALL the options they have to earn a college degree!
From what I see, HS today isn't productive for most college bound students. And for students that struggle in HS, they may otherwise drop out. So having knowledge of alternatives to share with other parents is extremely useful.
Unfortunately, I've been jaded from my experiences with our local middle and high schools and how they've perpetuated generational poverty and illiteracy and innumeracy. They know the student population they have attending, yet they are not doing anything substantial to close the gaps with these kids. And in our case, they refused to provide what was needed (yet it was what they provide to some of the students, but repeatedly refused provide to my foster kids.) Hence we were pushed out to the private sector, yet it was the best thing in the long run, as it resulted in closing gaps and proper instructional methods. And one blew them all out of the water on the level of academic success that the student obtained (no thanks to the public school system.) Thank goodness for local volunteer OrtonGillingham tutors (at a not for profit group using Alphabetic Phonics and a volunteer foster/adopt Mom who tutored using Wilson Reading 2 years twice a week for an hour and then an hour travel time both days each way- so huge commitment but so worth it in the end!) Kiddo graduated as Jr a year ahead of cohort class with 33 college credits. And then earned an associate degree at 17 the following Spring a month before cohort class graduated from HS, and is working on finishing up a bachelor degree now by 20 after a couple rocky semesters mixed in, but seems back on track again finally! So I'm all for alternatives to the traditional b&m f2f classrooms of the last Century! Current public education seems outdated and inefficient. When so many kids graduate or drop out without having learned how to read and write proficiently nor proficient in foundational math skills, I don't see the value in the end product. It definitely doesn't pass a cost benefit analysis in my neck of the country. The money our state pays every year in education tends to be in the top slots for per student spending, so its not a lack of money being thrown at education that is the issue in this state!

This is not the program you're looking for.  It's for people who already have at least 12cr of college - so not for the normal HS dropout, or kid who's looking for an alternative to HS.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-20-2018, 09:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 09:00 PM)miah Wrote: It's not for me. It's more of an information gathering for parents of teens that are struggling in traditional HS programs. For example, our state has a 24 college cr GenED diploma that can be substituted for a traditiona HS diploma.

This is not the program you're looking for.  It's for people who already have at least 12cr of college - so not for the normal HS dropout, or kid who's looking for an alternative to HS.

But it's still an option for people once they get to 12 college credits! And that is only 3-4 classes. I'm looking for alternatives! So this is an option after they have completed 3-4 classes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes miah's post:
  • bamaboy357
It's the Big 4 Big Grin  No other college comes close.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(06-20-2018, 09:39 PM)miah Wrote:

But it's still an option for people once they get to 12 college credits! And that is only 3-4 classes. I'm looking for alternatives! So this is an option after they have completed 3-4 classes.

Yes.  Once you have 12cr from an RA school (so no tests, no NA schools), you can get the rest of your credits via testing out or ACE/NCCRS courses.

Also, remember that you need a CC that will let you take courses without having a HS diploma or GED (many won't let you), and then you need to make sure Pierpont will let you transfer in the courses without a HS diploma or GED (I haven't the faintest idea what their policy is).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It also has an age limit, you must be two years past the normal HS graduation age, even if you graduate early. You also must have a diploma or GED.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • jsd
(06-20-2018, 10:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 09:39 PM)miah Wrote:

Yes.  Once you have 12cr from an RA school (so no tests, no NA schools), you can get the rest of your credits via testing out or ACE/NCCRS courses.

Also, remember that you need a CC that will let you take courses without having a HS diploma or GED (many won't let you), and then you need to make sure Pierpont will let you transfer in the courses without a HS diploma or GED (I haven't the faintest idea what their policy is).

Our local CC allows high school students to take college classes. They just can't get financial aid. (Although that isn't exactly the full story either I found out afterwards.... They'd have to complete I think it's 12 credits plus then pass the placement tests, then they can apply for financial aid if they are working towards a degree (they may require them to matriculate into the state's 24 cr hour GenED degree program too.) I'd need to go back and look at my notes as well as the most current info on the website as things can change Wink

(06-20-2018, 10:41 PM)davewill Wrote: It also has an age limit, you must be two years past the normal HS graduation age, even if you graduate early. You also must have a diploma or GED.

OK, so that is a detail that won't work then for current HS aged kids.
Our CC will allow HS students to take courses for college credit, but only if both the CC and the HS thinks they will succeed. So, they have to get approval, including showing their current grades.

Also, this only applies to HS dual enrollment students. For other students, they need a GED or HS diploma, or else they have to wait until they're 18.

Some 4-yr schools won't take someone without a HS diploma/GED even if they have college credits, or even an AA/AS/AAS. TESU won't take you unless you're 21 AND have a HS diploma/GED. COSC will let you enroll if you're 16, as long as you have 9cr from an RA school.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 343 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 3 153 03-26-2024, 05:38 AM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 10 353 03-25-2024, 08:37 PM
  Credit sufficiency for Pierpoint BOG Degree w/ AoE in IS DEPY 6 397 03-17-2024, 11:55 AM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 548 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 2 544 03-14-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: JohnJ2024
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 816 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,462 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Working on Pierpont AAS Ariadne 19 1,207 02-25-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Questions - Pierpont Apply Now? Chimera 8 881 02-22-2024, 01:49 AM