Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your opinion on Straighterline
sanantone Wrote:Saylor works off of ACE and NCCRS approval and direct partnerships for courses that do not have approval. Straighterline works off of ACE approval and has guaranteed acceptance for at least some of their courses at 78 schools. The acceptance of Straighterline and Saylor courses at non-partner schools depends on those schools' general acceptance of ACE and NCCRS credits. ACE is more well-known than NCCRS.

TESC is pretty liberal in its acceptance of ACE and NCCRS credits. They are also a partner college with Straighterline and Saylor. However, they will not accept Saylor's non-ACE or non-NCCRS courses for credit. All of this also applies to EC and COSC. Brandman University and a couple of other schools accept some of Saylor's computer science and/or business courses that do not have ACE or NCCRS approval. I think one school also accepts some of Saylor's humanities and social science courses.

It's also worth pointing out that even when a college/university is a partner school, that doesn't mean they accept EVERYTHING coming from SL. For example, there is a community college NOVA that is a partner school, but only in accounting. If you were hoping to use English or Math, you're out of luck. SL doesn't really transfer well as a general rule, and they are not super cheap... but if you're sure where you're going, you're sure your SL classes will transfer, you can find the book for free/cheap, you can work very quickly, and you're not taking grad school prereqs (ymmv)- then it's a good option. I'm not in love with them, but have used them, and probably will in the future.
I have a question on Straighterline-While on the SL site I noticed only some of the classes show credits. Do all the classes have credits?
Began Aug 2014
cookderosa Wrote:It's also worth pointing out that even when a college/university is a partner school, that doesn't mean they accept EVERYTHING coming from SL. For example, there is a community college NOVA that is a partner school, but only in accounting. If you were hoping to use English or Math, you're out of luck. SL doesn't really transfer well as a general rule, and they are not super cheap... but if you're sure where you're going, you're sure your SL classes will transfer, you can find the book for free/cheap, you can work very quickly, and you're not taking grad school prereqs (ymmv)- then it's a good option. I'm not in love with them, but have used them, and probably will in the future.

I missed this post. That's why I said there are 78 schools that will accept at least some of their courses. NOVA accepts more than just accounting electives, though. Of course, one should check the school's equivalency chart on the SL page. However, you should still check with the school because the charts often aren't up to date. SL adds new courses all the time. If you're already enrolled in a school that is not a partner college, it doesn't hurt to ask if they'll accept SL courses based on ACE-recommendations. I found out that Central Texas College will accept some SL courses even though they aren't a partner college.

You should definitely ask about graduate school prerequisites. There might be some surprises there. UT Austin officially accepts some SL courses as prerequisites for their alternate-entry MSN even though they aren't a partner college.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I am super interested in Straighterline also. If not for myself, then maybe to suggest to other people. I hope I made some headway, as I spoke with the Director of General Education at CUNY SPS. She said they will make a decision about Straighterline next week. I really hope they offer it as an option for their students!
Did you complete all of your SL courses in one month? When using SL after a class is completed , does it have to be logged in with ACE or are the transcripts obtained through SL?
Began Aug 2014
I really liked the courses I did at Straighterline. I did the business communications you're interested in. I don't believe the textbook is even available in ebook format. I bought a used one online. The formatting of that course is slightly different, it consists of many smaller 10 question quizzes. You have plenty of time to look up the answers in a regular book, so no ebook is required. There are several written assignments plus the final exam is a two part exam, multiple choice and essay. The written assignments were graded within a few days of submitting and the essay on the final was graded within a few hours.
Despite the fact that the written assignments made that course more work overall, it was actually one of my favorites.
johnvan Wrote:I really liked the courses I did at Straighterline. I did the business communications you're interested in. I don't believe the textbook is even available in ebook format. I bought a used one online. The formatting of that course is slightly different, it consists of many smaller 10 question quizzes. You have plenty of time to look up the answers in a regular book, so no ebook is required. There are several written assignments plus the final exam is a two part exam, multiple choice and essay. The written assignments were graded within a few days of submitting and the essay on the final was graded within a few hours.
Despite the fact that the written assignments made that course more work overall, it was actually one of my favorites.

I actually just switched around a my UL ethics class to fulfill the ethics requirement and am waiting for my business comm book to arrive so I can enroll in Straighterline. Not crazy about taking an ethics tecep (to fulfill the ethics req), so even though this will be more work, it will be more enjoyable than studying for something I'm not really interested in. Smile Just waiting on my business comm book to arrive. Any other details on the class?
ajs1976 Wrote:I like ALEKS better for the math classes. Wish I would have known about it before i enrolled at COSC.
COSC does accept ALEKS via ACE...you can use it there.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Is the ebook the best option for this class? Wondering if anyone found it cheaper not ordering it with Straighterline? Hoping to complete Macro and Micro using Straighterline.
ALRS Wrote:Is the ebook the best option for this class? Wondering if anyone found it cheaper not ordering it with Straighterline? Hoping to complete Macro and Micro using Straighterline.

E-Books are nice simply for the Ctrl F (Find) function. This makes it a whole lot easier if the exams are open book as well, because most of the questions from the tests come straight out of the book vs the actual course.
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your opinion on The Open University UK? nomaduser 12 1,570 11-08-2023, 05:47 AM
Last Post: alfiooo
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 833 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 679 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,080 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 887 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM
  Straighterline Pharmacology 103 tyson14136 16 3,670 07-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,293 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
Exclamation BS/BA Degree plan using ACE/Straighterline Credits breezy55 1 1,482 11-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Straighterline Business Statistics Tips Bunii 3 2,746 07-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Bunii
  In your opinion, who should not earn a degree from the Big Three? theclepexam 17 3,261 05-12-2019, 11:17 PM
Last Post: natshar