Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What level math can Khan Academy prepare me for, for a CLEP test?
Hello I am new here and was not sure where to post; I am hoping someone can help me out.

Hi I am going to be honest.
I did not do well in grade school.
I went to college and it was a struggle to keep up in math because I would have to relearn even the most fundamental math operations. I was embarrassed to see how many simple mistakes i made and struggled with.
I decided that i need to go back to studying core math. I decided 6th grade is where I lost interest in math class and that it is the root of all of my deficiencies in arithmetic that were causing me to lose points. I can do Pre-calculus mathematics; but the pesky fundamentals would sabotage any great advance forward in math!
I decided to return to grade school. I remembered hearing about Khan Academy on the news. It sounded great but what did I care I was past grade school; I was entering college..
I scraped by a few math courses and decided to stop after a few credits and reanalyze my technique at college level math.

I thought back to when my mind would begin to wander in math class.. - grade 6.
ah that is where i fell off the horse!

I find it funny I can pass MATH 101, all while still making rookie math mistakes! So grade 6 is where i will return to before going any further.

So i decided i will master all of the math courses offered on Khan academy.

My hope is to relearn and surpass my previous understandings of mathematics.

I decided if I am to devote time to relearning and then advancing via Khan Academy; I must find a way to easily convert knowledge gained from Khan math courses to college credits so that i do not pay money for knowledge i already have learned and possess for free.

And so my question is:

Will completing all Khan Academy math courses prepare me for CLEP tests to earn math credits?

I live in New York. the CLEP tests I have available to me are issued by SUNY Orange and SUNY New Paltz.
Naturally I will complete all Khan math courses and then go for CLEP tests.

Based on my goal; what is the maximum SUNY math course I can prepare for, using only knowledge gained from Khan Academy?

What is the highest math course Khan Academy will cover?

Mathematics
Calculus ` 55 4 credits MAT251 SUNY New Paltz -Bachelor's
Precalculus 55 4 credits MAT181 SUNY New Paltz -Bachelor's
College Algebra 55 3 credits MAT152 SUNY New Paltz -Bachelor's
Intermediate Algebra 50 3 credits MAT102 SUNY Orange -Associates

I have a long way to go, but i would like to start off by knowing what the possibilities are if I work hard enough and complete all Khan Academy Mathematics

Here are the links that i am referring to in this post:
[https://www.khanacademy.org/]
[https://www.newpaltz.edu/ugc/policies_clep.html]
[http://www.sunyorange.edu/testing/docs/S...redit.pdf]

PS. I will also study with text books but before I invest in any of the SUNY text books I need to catch up with Khan Academy.
Myco_Scholar Wrote:Hello I am new here and was not sure where to post; I am hoping someone can help me out.

I went to college and it was a struggle to keep up in math because I would have to relearn even the most fundamental math operations. I was embarrassed to see how many simple mistakes i made and struggled with.
I decided that i need to go back to studying core math. I decided 6th grade is where I lost interest in math class and that it is the root of all of my deficiencies in arithmetic that were causing me to lose points. I can do Pre-calculus mathematics; but the pesky fundamentals would sabotage any great advance forward in math!
I decided to return to grade school. I remembered hearing about Khan Academy on the news. It sounded great but what did I care I was past grade school; I was entering college..
I scraped by a few math courses and decided to stop after a few credits and reanalyze my technique at college level math.

I find it funny I can pass MATH 101, all while still making rookie math mistakes! So grade 6 is where i will return to before going any further.

I decided if I am to devote time to relearning and then advancing via Khan Academy; I must find a way to easily convert knowledge gained from Khan math courses to college credits so that i do not pay money for knowledge i already have learned and possess for free.

And so my question is:

Will completing all Khan Academy math courses prepare me for CLEP tests to earn math credits?

I live in New York. the CLEP tests I have available to me are issued by SUNY Orange and SUNY New Paltz.

Based on my goal; what is the maximum SUNY math course I can prepare for, using only knowledge gained from Khan Academy?

Mathematics

I have a long way to go, but i would like to start off by knowing what the possibilities are if I work hard enough and complete all Khan Academy Mathematics

PS. I will also study with text books but before I invest in any of the SUNY text books I need to catch up with Khan Academy.

Welcome!
Khan will take you up through all of those maths and higher if you want.

Khan Academy has videos and quiz/check points where you have to get 5 in a row correct to "fill in the check point" thing. I use it with my kids and I've used it myself. You can go in and find the exact spot you want to start- if it's reviewing fractions, so be it. I've met about a zillion adults who couldn't do fractions, find a percentage, etc. You are wise at looking for your real gaps as opposed to trying to just get through it. I have no doubt you'll be able to accomplish all of that and more!

EDIT: I forgot to say Khan also has statistics, which I used to test out of the DSST exam.
Myco_Scholar Wrote:Hello I am new here and was not sure where to post; I am hoping someone can help me out.

And so my question is:

Mathematics

I got through the College Mathematics CLEP in two weeks using it. It can definitely help you achieve your goals. Just don't get discouraged. Keep on earning badges and new lessons and the like and you'll have no problem. Make sure that you target your studying for your specific test though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The American Dream Academy (TADA) coming to an end in April 2024 Vle045 41 5,856 04-17-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 584 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 197 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 1,013 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 529 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 503 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 677 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 378 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 479 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,311 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az